Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 16.1, the first major update to the tvOS 16 operating system that initially came out in September. tvOS 16.1 is available for the Apple TV 4K and the Apple TV HD.

Apple-TV-2022-Feature-Orange.jpg

The tvOS 16.1 update can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the ‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌ by going to System -> Software Update. ‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌ owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to ‌tvOS 16.1 automatically.

While tvOS updates are often minor in scale compared to other operating system updates, there are a few new features available in tvOS 16.1. Apple Fitness+ can be used with an iPhone, no Apple Watch required, and there is support for iCloud Shared Photo Library.

The update adds a more compact Siri interface that lets users see their request results in the bottom right corner of the TV's screen rather than in the bottom middle of the display. The new look takes up less space. There is also a new option to enable "Hey Siri" commands when using the Apple TV with AirPods. The toggle can be found in the Settings app under General.

As with the iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16,1, macOS Ventura, and watchOS 9.1 updates, tvOS 16.1 introduces support for the Matter smart home standard that will allow smart home products from different companies to interact with one another. Apple's full release notes are below:

tvOS 16.1 introduces a completely redesigned Siri experience, brings Shared Photo Library to the biggest screen in the home, and lets you work out and meditate with Apple Fitness+ with iPhone.

Siri
All-new design for Siri makes it even easier to find movies and shows to watch, play the latest music, discover new apps, get sports scores, and more.
Say "Hey Siri" to enjoy hands-free control when wearing AirPods that are connected to your Apple TV.

Photos
Shared Photo Library support lets you see your favorite moments from the entire family.
Create a Shared Photo Library on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, then select Shared Library in the Photos app.

Apple Fitness+
Work out and meditate with Apple Fitness+ on Apple TV — now all you need is iPhone to receive onscreen coaching, timers, and trainer callouts while also tracking your estimated Move ring progress.

Home hub
Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is now supported, enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems.
Apple provides additional details on tvOS releases in its dedicated tvOS support document, which is updated after each new iteration of tvOS.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 16.1 With Siri Improvements, iCloud Shared Photo Library, Matter and More

Last edited:

sorgo

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2016
Porte des Morts
They are asking if the build number is the same as RC or not, not if this is the same software as iOS.
Yes, thank you, but I should apologize, as my original question was actually about HomePod and I should've posted it in that thread. It was kind of a stupid question anyway since I'm not sure one can even see HomePod Software build numbers anywhere...and I'm quite sure it's the same build because it still hasn't shown after removing the profile.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Yep. tvOS 16.1 bricks the 2nd Generation Siri Remote. It's as dead as a doornail. Was working just moments before installing tvOS 16.1. The Control Center remote from iPhone works fine. But even after multiple restarts the Siri Remote no longer works. Nothing even happens when I plug the remote into power.

UPDATE: I finally got it to work. First I had to reset the Siri Remote, then I had to repair it with the ATV with tvOS 16.1.

Last edited:

vikingjunior

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2011
The problem is Siri, it sucks. The $29.99 Google TV w/ Chromecast is a hundred times better especially if you have YTTV. Being able to search with Google Assistant alone is worth the $29. Why do they keep pushing Siri when it is so bad? Honestly anytime someone around me says 'hey" Siri gets triggered, let us have a customed Siri trigger. Hard pass.

Reactions: veterpee

Brad7

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2022
Why do they keep pushing Siri when it is so bad?
I guess they need the training data from consumers in order to get better, so it’s a catch-22. Google had a first-mover advantage and people were excited by it when it first came out, trying “Ok Google” out in all sorts of ways and giving the AI the early training it needed. And as we know, AI gets better in an exponential curve very quickly, even as people tapered off using voice commands over the years.

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
Anyone know of a good deep dive on Matter? Any real world killer features yet? Will it allow a Google Nest camera into HomeKit, etc? Matter seems to be hyped like 5G but still feels like vaporware…

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Anyone know of a good deep dive on Matter? Any real world killer features yet? Will it allow a Google Nest camera into HomeKit, etc? Matter seems to be hyped like 5G but still feels like vaporware…
This is a pretty good video that explains Matter and how it works.

But to answer your specific question, no it will not allow a Nest camera to work with HomeKit. At least not for now. Version 1.0 of the Matter specification does not include a camera device type. This is likely because Thread doesn't have the bandwidth to support video, and release 1.0 seems to have focused on defining support for Thread netoworks and devices. It's widely speculated that will be added in a future spec update, but there's no word on when that will be. As such nobody, not even Google, knows the answer of whether today's current Nest cameras will work with Matter. So, for cameras specifically, we're still in a holding pattern. If you want a camera today that will work with HomeKit, you need to get one that is specifically HomeKit certified. If you're willing to wait a couple years that may change. For other devices that do have a device type in the Matter spec, like various sensors, thermostats, etc. then you should soon start seeing companies announce support for their existing devices. To use Google as an example again, they announced that several home hubs and the cheap Nest thermostat (but infuriatingly not the expensive one) will be updated to support Matter.

Reactions: _Spinn_

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
This is a pretty good video that explains Matter and how it works.

But to answer your specific question, no it will not allow a Nest camera to work with HomeKit. At least not for now. Version 1.0 of the Matter specification does not include a camera device type. This is likely because Thread doesn't have the bandwidth to support video, and release 1.0 seems to have focused on defining support for Thread netoworks and devices. It's widely speculated that will be added in a future spec update, but there's no word on when that will be. As such nobody, not even Google, knows the answer of whether today's current Nest cameras will work with Matter. So, for cameras specifically, we're still in a holding pattern. If you want a camera today that will work with HomeKit, you need to get one that is specifically HomeKit certified. If you're willing to wait a couple years that may change. For other devices that do have a device type in the Matter spec, like various sensors, thermostats, etc. then you should soon start seeing companies announce support for their existing devices. To use Google as an example again, they announced that several home hubs and the cheap Nest thermostat (but infuriatingly not the expensive one) will be updated to support Matter.
Thanks!!

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The problem is Siri, it sucks. The $29.99 Google TV w/ Chromecast is a hundred times better especially if you have YTTV. Being able to search with Google Assistant alone is worth the $29. Why do they keep pushing Siri when it is so bad? Honestly anytime someone around me says 'hey" Siri gets triggered, let us have a customed Siri trigger. Hard pass.
Yeah, it’s a shame that despite all of the resources, money and years Apple put into developing Siri, it still remains inferior to the competition.

Reactions: vikingjunior

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I guess they need the training data from consumers in order to get better, so it’s a catch-22. Google had a first-mover advantage and people were excited by it when it first came out, trying “Ok Google” out in all sorts of ways and giving the AI the early training it needed. And as we know, AI gets better in an exponential curve very quickly, even as people tapered off using voice commands over the years.
The travesty is that Apple in fact had first mover advantage. Siri was released well before Ok Google. Apple too suffers from putting out a feature and then doing nothing further to develop it for quite a few years. Google had first mover advantage with maps.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Yep. tvOS 16.1 bricks the 2nd Generation Siri Remote. It's as dead as a doornail. Was working just moments before installing tvOS 16.1. The Control Center remote from iPhone works fine. But even after multiple restarts the Siri Remote no longer works. Nothing even happens when I plug the remote into power.

UPDATE: I finally got it to work. First I had to reset the Siri Remote, then I had to repair it with the ATV with tvOS 16.1.
My 2nd gen remote is working fine after the 16.1 update. Give it a few minutes as sometimes a 2nd update just for the remote occurs in the background, then the remote starts working again.

Reactions: Brad7

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
The travesty is that Apple in fact had first mover advantage. Siri was released well before Ok Google. Apple too suffers from putting out a feature and then doing nothing further to develop it for quite a few years. Google had first mover advantage with maps.
Siri started out as an add-on app from a 3rd party company. Apple bought them out. Apple probably put their own crappy Apple programmers on it rather than retaining the original people as it got worse and worse over time. Siri is basically a moron now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.