Apple Releases Updated Beta of New watchOS 5 Operating System to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this morning seeded an updated beta of an upcoming watchOS 5 update, one week after releasing the first beta after the 2018 Worldwide Developers Conference Keynote. watchOS 5 is the newest version of the software that runs on the Apple Watch.

To install the beta, you'll need the proper configuration profile, which can be obtained through the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the watchOS 5 beta can be downloaded using the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update.

[​IMG]

To update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. It would be wise to install the beta on a secondary device instead of a primary device given that this is an early version of the watchOS 5 software that still has bugs to be worked out.

The first version of the initial watchOS 5 beta was pulled by Apple shortly after it was released due to reports that the beta had been bricking some Series 2 Apple Watches, rendering them unusable. This new beta fixes that issue and makes the watchOS 5 update available to developers once again.

watchOS 5 is a significant update to watchOS, introducing Activity Competitions so you can compete on workouts with friends, Walkie-Talkie with push-to-talk functionality for quickly communicating with the people you talk to most, and auto workout detection to make it easier than ever to start and stop workouts.

Other new features include an improved Siri watch face with support for third-party apps, a dedicated Apple Podcasts app, new Workout types that include Yoga and Hiking, new features for runners, WebKit support for viewing some web content on Apple Watch, and enhanced notifications, which will make notifications on the Apple Watch interactive.

watchOS 5 is only available to developers and will not be provided to public beta testers (because there's no way to downgrade Apple Watch software), so non-developers will need to wait until the software is officially released in the fall to try it out.

The watchOS 5 update runs on all Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 Apple Watch models. It is not available for the first-generation "Series 0" Apple Watch models, likely due to performance and battery issues.

Article Link: Apple Releases Updated Beta of New watchOS 5 Operating System to Developers

2. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

3. newtestleper macrumors 6502

I'm not downloading in an hour, tonight or tomorrow. I'm downloading NOW!!!!1!

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

5. sirdir macrumors regular

sirdir

Does the phone have to be on ios 12 beta for watch os 5 to work?
    Guess so?

6. pgharavi macrumors regular

pgharavi

7. coolaaron88 macrumors member

coolaaron88

Yes it does

8. Leandrogamadf macrumors newbie

Leandrogamadf

9. MrGimper Suspended

MrGimper

So the only difference in version number is the Q to R ?

10. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

To remind us of the Scotty days.

11. Leandrogamadf macrumors newbie

Leandrogamadf

Lol

12. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

That is 1/26th of a difference just in the nomenclature. The remainder will be in the OS itself.

13. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

14. ersan191 macrumors 65816

Can any of you brave souls tell me if this has AirPlay 2 - i.e. telling siri "Play music in the bedroom" on the watch will work.

15. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

So do we have to uninstall the “old” watchOS 5 profile?

16. Koshtaru macrumors newbie

Koshtaru

Nope, I was able to update with the original watchOS 5 dev beta profile installed.

17. MrGimper Suspended

MrGimper

I’m assuming this is the same beta with just an install fix?

18. Dustonfoster macrumors member

Dustonfoster

Installing now, anything new? Myself and wife were lucky and had no issues the first go around last week.

19. bhast2 macrumors newbie

bhast2

Walkie talkie app on watch now says “Coming Soon”!!!

Attached Files:

20. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Recents has been added to the timer. It shows the last custom setting I used just above the custom settings button.

21. grantwall macrumors newbie

Looking a bit worrying with the update on my end.

The progress bar around the Apple logo completed and watch restarted, now it's either stuck at a black screen or off. Going to give it a bit of time but hope it sorts itself out.

22. Niclisten Suspended

Niclisten

I believe this was a 42 or 41mb download. Didn’t need to uninstall the old profile. Installed just fine.

23. Tremzy macrumors newbie

Tremzy

Mine is stuck on the Apple boot logo for over 15 mins now ?
    Hmmmm

24. grantwall macrumors newbie

Mine was still not responding at all (for over 30 minutes) so I performed a hard reset. Watch boots up now, though the Watch app still says it's "installing" the update.

Watch lists it being on the R version though now.

25. Tremzy macrumors newbie

Tremzy

How long after the hard reset did the watch boot up?