Apple Releases Updated Version of iOS 12.1.2 for iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this morning released an updated version of iOS 12.1.2 that features a new "16C104" build number, up from the "16C101" build number used for Monday's release.

We don't know why Apple has released a new version of iOS 12.1.2, but the updated build is likely meant for those who have not yet updated to the new software. It could contain small bug fixes or tweaks that are not significant enough to require a full release.

[​IMG]

iOS 12.1.2 is available only on the iPhone, and it can be downloaded over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings > General > Software Update. If you've already updated to iOS 12.1.2 earlier this week, you probably won't see the newer version.

iOS 12.1.2 was an update that Apple rushed out with a few bug fixes and some important software changes in China meant to deal with patent infringement issues.

On December 10, a Chinese court issued a preliminary sales ban on the iPhone 6s through the iPhone X in China after deciding that Apple had infringed on two patents related to resizing photos for use with wallpaper and closing apps.

The iOS 12.1.2 update in China changed the behavior of iPhones, introducing a new shrink-style animation when force closing apps and a new share sheet for setting contact and wallpaper images.

This particular part of the iOS 12.1.2 update only affected users in China and has not changed the behavior of iPhones in other locations. With the tweak, Apple has said it is in compliance with the Chinese court's ruling and has continued to sell older iPhones, despite objections from Qualcomm.

Beyond the change to iPhone behavior in China, the iOS 12.1.2 update also fixed a cellular connectivity issue in Turkey and addressed some eSIM activation issues.

Article Link: Apple Releases Updated Version of iOS 12.1.2 for iPhone

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I haven't even installed the first 12.1.2 update yet, since there is no mention of changes for the iPhone 7 Plus.

I may sit this one out too until things stabilize a bit.

3. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

4. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

Hey Apple, how about some information about what is in all these different builds?

5. nordique macrumors 65816

I’ve been reluctant to go to 12.1.2 due to some people having lost storage space

Anyone confirm if this update frees up the lost space?

6. alijahsimon macrumors newbie

alijahsimon

My iPhone XS Max completely bricked during the update to the old 12.1.2, I had to manually DFU mode and hook it up to iTunes and restore from backup to use my phone again. Maybe this fixes that issue.

7. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

This ain't it chief.
    1) it isn't available yet. But that's typical, MR puts these out a bit prematurely.
    2) This is being released because the first version was buggy as hell. Connectivity suffered AND the app switcher was massively ****ed
    So, I guess hopefully THIS IS IT chief. But we shall see.

8. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Any way for those of us who had already updated to get this latest version? It’s not coming up in Software Update for me

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Someone please take Kanye's phone! He's at it again!

10. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

My Max was bricked for an hour after installing the old 12.1.2. (Not right after—it worked fine for a few hours.) I plugged it in to my computer and after another 30 minutes or so, an error message appeared on the phone saying it needed to connect to iTunes and install a new copy of iOS. After a bit longer. I was up & running.

Coincidence? If not, maybe the new 12.1.2 fixes whatever caused our problem.

11. Kanyay, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018

Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

To everyone making fun of my password y'all don't know security.
    But I still don't see this update chief. idk what going on. Where's Kim at? I'll check her phone she got that XS MAX.

12. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If this is being released only to work around the China ban, why are users in the rest of the world being forced to upgrade too?

13. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

Kanyay reporting back: STILL NOT SEEING IT. If this isn't resolved soon I will go on another Twitter rant like I always do.

14. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

They aren't, you don't have to install it.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

16. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

So if we already updated we ain't finna see it? Now that's wack. I just spent 10 mins refreshing for it smfh.

17. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

18. numetheus macrumors newbie

Can you imagine how difficult it would be if they did a different release per country? It would be unmanageable eventually.

19. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Lmao! Hilarious!

20. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

They already manage to do that with the App Store and iCloud data. Not saying that its not a pain in the neck the first time, but they should have a plan to deal with these kind of customization by now.

21. cppguy macrumors 6502a

A fix days after the fix. Sigh... people used to buy Apple products because they didn't want daily Windows updates with mandatory 3 times reboot.

22. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

none of this is mandatory

23. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

24. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Fixed that for you.

Why the rehash of "news" over and over again, just report that a new updated 12.1.2 is available will do.