Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
WatchOS 3 has fixed/improved night stand mode for me. It used to work inconsistently—at least half the time tapping the watch would just bring up the passcode entry screen. Now it works every time. I am bummed that my late 2012 iMac can't be unlocked with the watch, though. Hard to understand why it's not supported.

mrchrisbee

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
Cheshire
Posting and update -
Not seeing any significant drains on battery.. Going to have to strike up my previous experience/comment to me possibly loosing track of time when playing around with all the new watch stuff :). Ended up giving it a full charge and at the end of the day i was down to 50% and that was with moderate use. So Far So Good.
I think the battery usage has improved. Full day done and I'm on 66% normally I'd be on about 40% and I've been swiping watched faces left and right all day Ha!

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

Apple today released watchOS 3, the newest version of the operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 3 is a significant update to the watchOS operating system, introducing an overhauled interface, new apps, new watch faces, and impressive performance improvements.

watchOS 3 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. watchOS 3 is available for all Apple Watch models, but requires an iPhone running iOS 10 to install, which was also released today.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 3 With App Dock, Instant Launching, New Watch Faces, Breathe, and More

Why on earth does it take over an hour to download the Update from my iPhone to my Watch? They're sitting right next to one another! Happy downloading, indeed!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Why on earth does it take over an hour to download the Update from my iPhone to my Watch? They're sitting right next to one another! Happy downloading, indeed!

Yes, it's frustratingly long. But I've been quite pleased with the update. The Dock makes it much easier to use some apps that were previously unusable. Scribble is very handy for replying to texts when one of my canned responses won't do the trick. And unlocking the Mac with the watch is great, though I wish it worked on older Macs.

Reactions: demodave

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yes, it's frustratingly long. But I've been quite pleased with the update. The Dock makes it much easier to use some apps that were previously unusable. Scribble is very handy for replying to texts when one of my canned responses won't do the trick. And unlocking the Mac with the watch is great, though I wish it worked on older Macs.

Fundamentally, Apple should just tell us to do the update overnight. It is not a practical thing to be waiting for to finish. And Apple should know that from their own testing. If this is called "mobile technology", then my does it immobilize me?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Fundamentally, Apple should just tell us to do the update overnight. It is not a practical thing to be waiting for to finish. And Apple should know that from their own testing. If this is called "mobile technology", then my does it immobilize me?

IIRC, I wrote about this somewhere earlier in this thread. I agree that Apple should provide a realistic estimate of download and installation time.

Reactions: demodave

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Posting and update -
Not seeing any significant drains on battery.. Going to have to strike up my previous experience/comment to me possibly loosing track of time when playing around with all the new watch stuff :). Ended up giving it a full charge and at the end of the day i was down to 50% and that was with moderate use. So Far So Good.

Running 36 hours so far at 47% remaining....pretty good, I would say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.