Apple Releases watchOS 4.0.1 Update for Series 3 Models With Fix for Cellular Bug

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new software update for the Apple Watch, upgrading watchOS 4 to watchOS 4.0.1. The watchOS 4.0.1 update comes one week after Apple first released watchOS 4 to the public.

watchOS 4.0.1 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. Today's update is only for the Apple Watch Series 3 models.

[​IMG]

watchOS 4.0.1 addresses a serious Wi-Fi bug impacting the performance of the new LTE-enabled Apple Watch Series 3 models.
    During the review period for the new Apple Watch, testers discovered that the device would frequently disconnect from LTE, choosing to connect to an unusable Wi-Fi hotspot instead of an LTE tower due to its preference for Wi-Fi to save battery.

The Apple Watch was mistakenly connecting to free Wi-Fi hotspots that have interstitial agreement pages to use the service. With no way to see the page or confirm, LTE Apple Watches couldn't actually use the Wi-Fi, but it still prevented them from connecting to LTE.

Apple said it was aware of the issue just before the Series 3 models launched, and said it was investigating a fix for a future software update, which is available today.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 4.0.1 Update for Series 3 Models With Fix for Cellular Bug

2. anthonyjr macrumors regular

anthonyjr

I want them to fix this for the iPhone, actually. It seems to be commonplace for my iPhone to attempt connecting to open Xfinity Wifi networks while I'm driving, interrupting my music or podcasts during streaming while at traffic lights or moving through the city.

I wish they had a qualifier for low quality wifi networks on all of their devices.

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

would hope this will fix my terrible battery on Series 0, but not holding my breath

4. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

That was quick.
    Let's hope they keep this momentum going squashing bugs and all.

5. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

Anyone that has downloaded this, does it fix the issue with not getting stand reminders?

6. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

have you tried the wheelchair setting?

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

To me, I think the first generation Apple Watch won't likely see watch support past watchOS 4. I think the majority seem watchOS 4 has degraded the battery life, but some are reporting positive results. It's definitely variable.

8. mathewr macrumors 6502

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Do all Series 3 get this, or only GPS+Cellular?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    4.1 is only at beta 1, or are you referring to beta 2? That will be next week with the rest of X.1 beta 2s.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Will the Verge and other sites re-test the Watch and update their ratings?

11. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

get rid of the xfinity hotspot app and remove the xfinity profile from your phone and it won't auto-join any of those hotspots anymore.

12. floridonet macrumors regular

This has been a non-issue for me but I'm glad they resolved it.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Zero issues with my S0 battery. How old is your watch, maybe you have a degrading a battery.

14. delonholmes macrumors newbie

delonholmes

my friend has the S3 for atnt and can't get it to connect to cellular..anyone else?

15. rp2011 macrumors 6502a

rp2011

Consumer Reports gave it a positive review and couldn’t replicate the cellular issue.

...but still, this is Consumer Reportd.

16. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Some people are having trouble caused by the issue being fixed with this update.

Others can't configure their Apple Watch with AT&T because they are entering their credentials wrong.

17. eagle33199 macrumors member

Anyone install this yet? Wondering how long it takes... the 4.0 install took half of forever, and if possible I'd like to squeeze it in during an hour when I'm already planning not to wear the watch.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How did 4.0 take a half hour on your S3 as it would have come with 4.0.

19. Arni99 macrumors regular

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I guess that kind of makes sense as it fixes one issue and its only related to Cellular. Which means once I get my Nike GPS watch, I won't need to worry about an update!

21. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Not seeing this for my non-LTE Series 3. Maybe only for LTE models?

22. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

The Verge doesn't usually update their reviews despite positive changes because they suck.

23. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

My S0 seems okay for battery, it's definitely seen better days (had it since launch day) but I usually finish up the day with about 25% remaining. That said, I do have a Nike+ S3 arriving on Friday. :p

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Being that its from launch day, its definitely a used battery.

25. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Downloading now. I guess this means I can re-enable auto join now