Apple Releases watchOS 5.1.3 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released watchOS 5.1.3, the fourth update to the watchOS 5 operating system that runs on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 5.1.3 comes more than a month after the release of watchOS 5.1.2, a major update that brought ECG functionality.

watchOS 5.1.3 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

[​IMG]

watchOS 5.1.3 is a minor update that focuses on performance improvements and fixes for bugs discovered since the release of watchOS 5.1.2. We didn't find any changes during the watchOS 5.1.3 beta testing period. Apple's release notes do not mention any new features or include information beyond the general "this update includes improvements and bug fixes" statement.

The prior update watchOS update, watchOS 5.1.2, introduced the long-awaited ECG feature for the Apple Watch Series 4, allowing Apple Watch owners to take single-lead electrocardiograms to detect atrial fibrillation, which can be a sign of serious health problems.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 5.1.3 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

2. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Great! My watch has been acting a little loopy lately.

3. Juandagis macrumors regular

Hopefully this fixes my Apple watch! After iOS 12 my watch messages viewed on my iPhone will not be shown as read on my apple watch. When I send a text to someone else it appears on my watch like if someone text me. Nope, just the text i sent. Went to an apple store and they restored it to new and it worked fine, then a couple of days later it went back to messing up again.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Since you have an Apple Watch and a profile pic of a Tesla, I'm curious if you've had any luck with an Apple Watch app for controlling your car (namely popping the frunk.) I bought Remote S - it worked the very first time weeks ago, but has never refreshed the info its displaying since and it seems to completely ignore me when I try issuing any commands.

5. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502

Jason Hensley

Anyone know if this fixes the Activity bug with delayed/missing badges?

6. Sasparilla, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

This will be nice to see if we can get some pep restored. Have a 3 and going from v4 to v5 definitely took the finished look and feel of the the OS (changing screens with the new screen loads then full refreshes of that screen etc.) down a notch - right now I'd gladly roll back to v4.

Have to say 5.1.3 (installed successfully) drops the 2 steps forward 1 step back load screen, then completely refresh screen hickup that was added with 5, I'm very happy!

7. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

apple watch updates are always welcome.. best apple product out there.

8. triangletechie macrumors regular

On certain days, my S4 will constantly lock itself while I'm wearing it. Extremely annoying. I hope this update helps with that.

9. iAdamator macrumors 6502

Is the Podcast app complication available on the newer watch faces?

10. Denpech, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

Denpech macrumors regular

Denpech

The clock does not break as it was with watchOS 5.1 ? I'm already afraid of updates ....

11. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Big thing here for me is Raise to use Siri. Worked once right after I installed the update but not since.

12. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Nope not mine anyway. I’ve given up. I pretty much don’t care anymore. I hadn’t even checked til I saw your post.

13. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Anyone out there with a Series 1 wish to comment on their overall experience with WatchOS 5? I've stayed on 4.3.2 to this point. My experience with the earlier iterations of 4.x made me hesitant to update this time around.

14. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

So, I just updated mine and it literally took (after verifying update) about 1.5 minutes. It has never been that quick. Hopefully nothing went wrong. Watch says 5.1.3 and no update now.

15. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this puts taptic (haptic) feedback back with mail notifications. :rolleyes:
    Won't hold my breath, though.

16. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Only works intermittently for me and no improvement with 5.1.3.

17. thebill macrumors member

thebill

Loopy?? Aren't you confusing the watch with the watch BAND? :rolleyes: I Kwak me up! :rolleyes:

18. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

This is a real problem: that was a selling point (among others, admittedly) for this Watch. Not sure why this is causing them so much trouble to fix.

19. apolloa macrumors G4

Laggy is how is put it. Usual Apple antics slowing older devices, but unlike iOS 12 where they actually fixed the buggy laggy mess on older devices, Watch OS 5 is still slow on the series 1, I’ll let you know after I’ve updated to this new one... but at least it works.

20. chinito77 macrumors regular

chinito77

Still get that inconsistent weather report on my watch face. Sometimes it's way off compared to my iPhone or sometimes it just doesn't show anything at all.

21. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

It does for me at least seem to be better in 5.1.3. It's all in the flick of the wrist as you raise to your mouth.
    When I give the wrist a little flick as raising to mouth it works. If I simply raise the watch to my mouth hit and miss.

22. FishyFish macrumors member

FishyFish

I'm just loving this release so far. Buttery smooth and great battery life. Safari seems snappier!

23. hologram macrumors 6502

I used to have a problem with it too, but now it works for me close to 100% of the time. You may have tried this, but it solved my issue:

You have to start with your arm at your side (well, I do, anyway). Then, all in on smooth movement, raise the watch to your mouth, twist your wrist so the face is directly facing you, and speak immediately. If you hesitate between raising and twisting, or twisting and speaking it won’t work. The twisting motion is important, if you just raise and speak it probably won’t work.

At least, that’s been my experience.

24. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Probably something I need to practise in private first :)

25. apolloa macrumors G4

Well it’s updared and so far hasn’t shown the temperature, rest is fine, seems ok. The fitness app seems a bit better and the new app still lags a few seconds before letting you scroll the story. I’ll have to test the rest of it. When I say it’s laggy it’s hardly bad. I still like my watch :)