Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following months of developer and public beta testing, Apple today announced that macOS Monterey will officially launch on Monday, October 25.

macos-monterey.jpg

macOS Monterey maintains the same design as macOS Big Sur but includes several enhancements across the system. macOS Monterey consists of a completely redesigned Safari, Shortcuts for the Mac, Quick Note, and Universal Control, which will be coming in a future update. macOS Monterey also includes new features from iOS and iPadOS 15, such as Live Text, Focus modes, and SharePlay, also coming in a forthcoming update.

macOS Monterey is compatible with all of the same Macs that run macOS Big Sur, with the expectation of some older MacBook Air and iMac models from 2013 and 2014. Apple released iOS and iPadOS 15, alongside tvOS 15 and watchOS 8 last month, but macOS Monterey's release was held until later in the fall to coincide with the release of new Mac computers. Learn everything you need to know about macOS Monterey and all its new features using our roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releasing macOS Monterey on October 25

Last edited:

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Does Monterey fix all the slop and bugs introduced by Big Sur? I went back to Catalina from BS recently because it was unbearable.
Big Sur fixed all of the issues I had with Catalina. Monterey appears to be more refined than Big Sur overall.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Why do they insist on releasing it on a weekday? Release it on a Fri/Sat and have support staff available. Surely cannot be as expensive as taking the Apple Store down 10 hours before an event, preventing any apple purchases.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Does Monterey fix all the slop and bugs introduced by Big Sur? I went back to Catalina from BS recently because it was unbearable.
Shoot I'm still on High Sierra because I'm petrified of all the bugs in the subsequent releases. Maybe I just need to go for it with Monterey.

Reactions: simon3163

brian.tully

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2016

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question. It seems the further one moves away from Mojave the greater the instability and unreliability of OS X. I don't expect Monterey to buck that trend.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Well, you'll need to update to at least Catalina, if you want security updates.
I was going to say Mojave is an option, but looks like Mojave is going to stop getting security updates end of November. Time to upgrade my 2017 27" iMac that is still on Mojave (which runs great). Not sure if I should upgrade that machine to Catalina or Monterey. Have had enough problems with Big Sur on my 2019 16" MacBook Pro that I would skip it. The 16" will get upgraded to Monterey as soon as I can for Low Power Mode.

Definitely don't want to stay on High Sierra in any case because it stopped getting security updates, and that last RCE one that was fixed in later OS's seemed pretty bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.