Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPad Pro is less than a month from launch -- with an unspecified date for the device sometime in November -- but a few rumors out of Apple's supply chain yesterday are already pointing to the company's expected sales figures for the 12.9-inch display tablet. According to the supply chain sources (via DigiTimes), Apple has placed "limited orders" for the iPad Pro for the 2015 holiday season, leading into the first quarter of 2016, pointing towards a "conservative attitude" regarding the sales of the larger-screened iPad.

ipad-pro-800x395.jpg

Specifically, the sources say the company has placed orders for less than 2.5 million iPad Pro units for the end of 2015. After that, Apple is believed to take a wait-and-see approach to the volume amount for Q1 2016, which could be even lower than 2.5 million if holiday sales this year aren't impressive enough for the Cupertino-based company. The supply chain sources note that since most businesses are always looking to cut costs, the top-tier pricing of the enterprise-focused iPad Pro, and its accessories, may in fact not hit its target demographic as Apple expects.

The tablet market as a whole has stagnated over the past few years, as more and more users remain unconvinced of a reason to upgrade yearly for such a tertiary device. In July, iPad sales were found to have been in decline for six consecutive quarters, with much hope aimed at the 2015 holiday season's launch of the new iPad line. With today's conservative iPad Pro estimates, no iPad Air 3 launching this year, and Apple's own soft launch of the iPad mini 4, it seems like iPad sales -- and the tablet market as a whole -- may not rebound as much as expected this holiday.

Article Link: Apple Remaining 'Conservative' Over Upcoming Sales of iPad Pro

Alex Moran

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2015
Horrible news for me living in South Africa. It most likely means a super slow to out. At only got the apple watch last week. iPhone 6s came within 3 weeks. Really hoping for the same but now seems unlikely.

Comment

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I know my friend is buying one. I would consider an iMac and iPad Pro setup...I just wish the keyboard and pencil came bundled for that price. I can't drop $800 for the iPad then another $250 for the assessories to make it "pro."

Comment

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
At least they're aware this is a somewhat niche product and won't be a mainstream success like the iPad and iPad mini. Success or failure is all about the expectations you set. People don't call the Mac Pro a failure based on its low sales numbers because they never expected it to sell in large volumes. I'm not sure precisely where to position the iPad Pro in terms of niche-ness though.

One thing seems obvious to me however: the product itself could have mainstream appeal, it's ultimately its price tag that will limit demand. If the iPad Pro was say $649, with the keyboard case and pencil at $99 and $49 respectively, I could totally see it sell in large amounts.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Sounds more like they are announcing the product's lackluster sales before they actually sell.

The iPad Pro, surprise-surprise, will not be a game changer, major seller, or special bon-bon for the entire tech market. It is definitely an expensive niche product only a few need or can utilize (aside from screen size). 99% of the market are fine with an iPad Air.

Comment

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Sounds more like they are announcing the product's lackluster sales before they actually sell.

The iPad Pro, surprise-surprise, will not be a game changer, major seller, or special bon-bon for the entire tech market. It is definitely an expensive niche product only a few need or can utilize (aside from screen size). 99% of the market are fine with an iPad Air.

hell, i'm still on the iPad 2 from 2011 - works smashingly. i also have a cintiq 12wx and that holds up well too. there needs to be a physical decay of recent 'old' products for a mass migration to the new New. plus, imo, this thing didn't one-up the surface pro, so i'd say people, numbering in possibly the tens/hundreds of thousands perked their ears up, read the features and specs and went 'meh.'

i'll concede though, that i do want one eventually - looks like a fun tablet overall. next year!

Comment

scarecrowmac

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
South Coast of NSW, Australia
I'm hoping to use one for uni myself. I have an iPad Air but the lack of third party stylus' that work with the apps I use make it hard to use sometimes. Especially when I see MS surface users writing on ther slides in lectures with proper palm rejection while I attempt to hover my palm over the screen whilst I write. The screen size will be great too.. I'm just afraid of the price in Australia as our dollar is so bad at the moment! And I won't even utilise the extra processing power.. Oh well, let's see how we go!

Comment

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
hell, i'm still on the iPad 2 from 2011 - works smashingly.

I'm still on my iPad 2 retina..And has been flawless. But just last week it wouldn't charge or boot. got stuck on apple logo with status bar in an infinite loop. And when it did come out of that loop it just showed the dead battery icon and wouldn't charge. Connected to iTunes, did a dfu restore and all is perfect again. lol! I'm gonna upgrade around the holidays, but i'm super impressed at how long it's lasted without a single issue.

Reactions: Mr. Donahue
Comment

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012

Corporations do so many focus-groups with their products that I think Apple has gotten the word that an iPad Pro just ain't cutting it.

Bring on the iPad Air 3.

Comment

JXShine

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Given apple's recent pricing, this thing will cost at least $1060 in Canada (base model) and depending on where you live, you may pay up to 13% tax on top of that. Who in their right mind would spend that money on a device that only runs mobile apps?

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Too expensive.

I'm in the market to replace an iPad 3 Retina. It's really sluggish now.

How the hell is the year old iPad Air 2 still $500 for the entry level 16gb.

iPad sales are down for 2 reasons.

1. You don't need to replace them yearly.
2. Competition is crushing them in price.

Comment

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
At least they're aware this is a somewhat niche product and won't be a mainstream success like the iPad and iPad mini. Success or failure is all about the expectations you set. People don't call the Mac Pro a failure based on its low sales numbers because they never expected it to sell in large volumes. I'm not sure precisely where to position the iPad Pro in terms of niche-ness though.

One thing seems obvious to me however: the product itself could have mainstream appeal, it's ultimately its price tag that will limit demand. If the iPad Pro was say $649, with the keyboard case and pencil at $99 and $49 respectively, I could totally see it sell in large amounts.

Agree with the first paragraph, but not the second. The iPad Pro is too big for the mainstream user. I don't see the market for this other than content creators, and some niche applications as a user interface to a larger system. I'm glad Apple is addressing those needs, as content creators are important for them to maintain their leadership position. But I don't think price is the issue holding this product back in the general market. Maybe they would pick up a few more "Sunday painters" with a lower price point.

Reactions: V.K.
Comment

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I won't buy the pro. The accessories are too $$$

This might sell to elite designers and exec level members. I don't see companies just handing out pros when the iPads are just now rolling out and cheaper.

2.5 mil seems a bit low. I'd wager 3.1 mil

Comment

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
There needs to be more effort put into the iPad lineup on the part of Cupertino. We just now got split-screen multitasking on iPads, and Apple hasn't really made any compelling software that's exclusive to it. Any software you can get on an iPad has a better version available on Mac.

I think Apple's "continuum of devices" thing that Phil Schiller talked about when they launched the 21" Retina iMac is pretty stupid. A handful of us like our gadgets (which is why we post in these forums, myself included), but I suspect 90% of people don't want to give Apple $2000+ so they can have an iPhone, an iPad, and a Mac, just because there are a few things that one is slightly better at than another. Sure, it's kind of nice having an iPad for watching videos or reading, but a Kindle is a better reading device, a TV is a better video-watching device, and while there are a handful of good games on iOS, it's nothing on a game console (best of all, you can probably get pretty good versions of all three of those things for about the cost of an iPad Pro with its accessories).

I like Apple, but if there's anything tempting me to get a Surface Book (maybe when it comes down in price a little and its wedge shape thing is improved on), this would be it.

Comment

duffman9000

Contributor
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Too expensive.

I'm in the market to replace an iPad 3 Retina. It's really sluggish now.

How the hell is the year old iPad Air 2 still $500 for the entry level 16gb.

iPad sales are down for 2 reasons.

1. You don't need to replace them yearly.
2. Competition is crushing them in price.

Oh I agree. If Apple wants people to replace their iPads more often then the price needs to drop. I've been real close to buying an iPad Mini many times, but I can't get over having to replace it in 2 years when it begins to run like utter crap.

Comment

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Yeah I love Apple and their products but lately I just can't keep up. They're too expensive for me. I'm still saving up for my Apple Watch. My wife has an iPad 2 retina she never uses anymore since we got iPhone 6. And i find myself using it more simply for the bigger display to read articles and surf the web.
I'll refresh when the iPad Air 3 comes out. That'll be a big jump worth it I hope.

My MacBook Pro mid 2012 battery is shot. It doesn't last for nothin. But then I find that their MacBooks have always had a horrible batt. I'm impressed with their iPad and iPhone batts. They last a long time imo.
I don't know ill upgrade my MacBook anytime soon. Maybe when it's really shot.

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
My 3 year old is the prime user for my iPad now. She plays educational games and watches kids shows and movies.

The kids Kindle is a goddamn steal at $100.

Apple needs to realize the younger market is using tablets now. People don't want to give their kids $400 iPad minis.

Comment

jca666us

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Corporations do so many focus-groups with their products that I think Apple has gotten the word that an iPad Pro just ain't cutting it.

Bring on the iPad Air 3.

Doubtful; I think Apple knows that they need apps optimized for the pro in order for sales to take off.

Also, until I see one in person, it's difficult to know if it's too big/heavy.

Regardless, I'm going to wait for iPad pro 2

Comment

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
One rumor from supply chain... Yeah, that's what the site is about, but it's remarkable about how much we can try to spin from it.

What's my spin? The supply chain source is unhappy that Apple placed only 2.5 million orders for the holiday season. Poor babies!

I didn't think this would be a big holiday gift item in the first place. Corporate orders won't come until the folks at IBM start peddling it with apps that highlight its talents.

Only 2.5 million. For initial orders. That could be 7.5 million annually, an average selling price approaching $1,000... In what universe is a $7.5 billion product a disappointment, or hardly worth the bother? A few billion here, a few billion there, and soon we're talking about real money!

"Let's design and build the product, announce it, and then run focus groups...." Uh, no, that's not how it works. They knew going in what to expect, and determined that it was a viable product at whatever level of sales they projected.

Finally, as we saw yesterday, when a less-than-enthusiastic earnings projection from a small supplier of parts became a trigger for a huge drop in Apple's value... Apple multi-sources manufacturing and components. Over and over again we see no clear correlation between a particular supplier's fortunes and Apple's, yet the market persists in behaving as if Joe Shmoe Parts is a proven bellwether. They just keep repeating the same behavior in hopes of getting a different result. Insane!

Reactions: KPOM
Comment

Zuri Sebastianski

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2015
Waterloo
I am eagerly awaiting a product like this iPad from Apple. I have never had an iPad or iPhone (but I've used macs for 20+ years), and I think this will be excellent for freehand drawing and designing quick mockups. As for the price, it will be too expensive in Canada, so I can't justify the cost even as a design professional.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.