Apple Remote and blocked sensor - solutions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marekkurlmann, Aug 2, 2007.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

I've got a MacBook that I have attached to an external monitor. When attached to the monitor, I keep the MacBook in a desk compartment that blocks the reception from the Apple Remote from all but a straight angle.

Are there any third-party (or Apple) products that would let plug in an IR receiver via USB so I could position the receiver somewhere that it could pick up the signal from the Apple Remote?

Or does anyone have any other solutions? (I'm tight for space and moving the MacBook somewhere else isn't what I want to do.)

Thanks a lot!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Radio Shack makes an IR extender. It uses RF to link an IR repeater.

You put the repeater in front of the MacBook, the put the receiver in sight of you and the remote. The two pieces use a RF link to repeat the commands from your remote.

edit: there are other companies that make extenders - Logitech, for example.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Have you tried using the remote normally anyway? I can point mine anywhere in the room and it will still work, even if not pointed in the general direction of my MBP. If not, I'd try one of those previously mentioned IR repeaters.