apple remote extra?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tuosfan, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tuosfan macrumors member

just an observation, but on the apple store website you have to select the apple remote for an additional $20 for the new macbooks.

My SR macbook came with one.

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes, it seems that from now on, Apple is going to charge $19 more for the optional remote to be included in packages. Before, they used to come as a part of the standard package.

3. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

I was about to post the same thing. But the remotes did go down in price. They were something like $49

4. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

I just noticed that as well when I was looking through. I won't even use it so it doesn't matter to me.

5. jus407 macrumors member

i agree and dont like it but how many people really use their remote its a money saving feature for apple

6. Littlehoof macrumors member

foolish

Not only do I find this change particularly tight and cheap on apple's part - but I think its a stupid move from a marketing and branding perspective... Its those couple of little extra bits that you get with your machine that add to the overall satisfaction with your new product. I didn't realise when I purchased my machine that I was going to get an apple remote with it (call me daft - but it was my first ever apple product) and it might not be worth much, but it was a nice little extra surprise that I felt good about... including them must cost apple next to nothing - and the value they can add to a new customers experience can be significant.

7. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Also, with iTunes movie rentals, i'd have thought Apple were wanting people to use their remotes more as they begin watching more movies on their computers? Sure, a large part of iTunes rentals is focused at Apple TV, but this seems odd!

8. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I also agree that this is bogus. But on the other hand, someone with multiple or previous macs already has a remote, and some people buying a new mac have no need for a remote. I actually prefer having the remote be an "extra" if Apple makes this move without increasing their profit margin per item. That is to say, if we are saving money by not including the remote, not if Apple is saving money by not including the remote.

-Ado

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

They shed 100 bucks on the midrange MacBook! That money has got to come from somewhere :)

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Apple has been including bluetooth in their computers for the longest time. What percentage of customers do you think actually use it??? Its the little things like this that make apple products nice: they pay attention to small details that we probably wouldn't have spent money on, but find useful anyway.

I use the remote when I plug my MBP to my TV to watch downloaded movies or TV shows. But do I think its worth 20$? I could just get up and hit the spacebar to play or pause. I'll probably end up buying it, but I find it's annoying that apple no longer includes something that was a nice touch.

11. JBourne macrumors newbie

in what country ?

12. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

I'm not 100% sure on this..but didn't the macbook come with a mini dvi-to-something (vga maybe) connector before too?

edit: nm...google cache

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Canada.

14. sex--a--peel macrumors newbie

sex--a--peel

remotes

yeah you do have to pay for them now which is a tad annoying seeing as they used to come free, but to be honest you dont really need them unless you want to use it from a distance. the only time i use mine is with my new imac when i am watching movies form my bed and that is it. so not really worth getting for a mac book, i have one for my mac book and have never used it, its still in the packet
    hope it helps:apple:

15. El Phantasmo macrumors member

i think the mistake here was offering it for free the first time...

maybe the mayority of remotes that DO get used are from iMacs that double as media centers at home, but i find it hard to believe that a professional graphics/photo/music/video artists use the remote on their laptops... and if you really need it, chances are you already have one from the ipod dock or your other mac or just get one for $20... maybe they are a little expensive, but i think they were a $50 accesory when they came out...

16. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The $20 will be used to fund spinners for SJ's BMW.

17. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Remote or no remote. It doesn't matter to me as I have never used mine. But $20 bucks for 6 button remote? Kinda ridiculous.

-JoE

18. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

The only time I use my Apple Remote is when I am watching a movie, although I do like the fact it works with VLC as well :D

19. mike12806 macrumors 6502

I do use the remote religiously with my imac, but never with my macbook. I think if they begin offering it as an option on the imac, then they're making a bad business decision!

20. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

That's annoying. It seems like Apple is being a bit more cheap lately. I use my remote with my MacBook quite frequently, but I would never pay $20 for one.

21. Tom McMahon macrumors member

Uh, wait a second...

Isn't the remote required to access/use Front Row?

22. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Times that $20.00 by how many he thinks he is going to sell and you will see he is just trying to screw you again.

23. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

No. You can use the keyboard with Front Row. But what's the point of using Front Row then if you don't even have a remote?

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I just noticed that...

I ordered a refurbed MacBook and it comes with a remote.

Apple is no longer including it with their notebook computers (not included with the Air as well).

Every bit with cutting costs helps.

I don't think many are using it anyways. I always see remotes for sale on here when someone gets a new computer.

I don't use my Mini one. I obviously use the one for my AppleTV.

We don't use the one for the iMac or the Mini at church.

I think that the next updates to the iMac and the Mini, it will be no longer be included as well.