Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider notes that Apple has apparently quietly discontinued its 99-cent TV show rentals, shutting off access to the offerings via iTunes Store and Apple TV.
The option to rent episodes of TV shows is no longer available on either the Apple TV, or when browsing content via Apple's iTunes application. Previously, participating networks offered users the ability to rent a TV episode for 99 cents, with 30 days to begin watching and 48 hours to complete it.

As further evidence that the ability to rent TV shows has been removed completely, an Apple support document entitled "iTunes Store: How to rent TV shows," has been removed from the Web. A Google cache of the page is still available.
The company's Apple TV page has also been updated to remove mention of the option to rent TV shows on the device.

apple_tv_rentals.png
Movie/TV show feature from Apple TV page: before (left) and after (right) changes
Apple launched 99-cent TV show rentals alongside the revamped Apple TV last September, but networks were reluctant to sign onto the program, finding the pricing too low for their tastes. The program launched with ABC and Fox on board, but Warner Brothers, NBC, Viacom, and other opted out. It appears that Apple has finally decided to cancel the program as it has been unable to bring a critical mass of studios on board.

Update: AllThingsD has a statement from Apple:
"iTunes customers have shown they overwhelmingly prefer buying TV shows," Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr said. "iTunes in the Cloud lets customers download and watch their past TV purchases from their iOS devices, Apple TV, Mac or PC allowing them to enjoy their programming whenever and however they choose."

Article Link: Apple Removes 99-Cent TV Show Rentals from iTunes Store and Apple TV [Updated]

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
or perhaps we will see some kind of an "all you can eat' tv subscription service from apple?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
or perhaps we will see some kind of an "all you can eat' tv subscription service from apple?

That would be nice, but the issue all comes down to lack of content. iTunes doesn't have enough yet to satisfy most consumers. Too bad, I am looking for the day I can drop my cable bill for good.

s1nt4x

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
tv shows where not really rental material , the occasion when i wold actually watch a tv show 2 or more times is very very rare so it was just nor profitable, but let`s hope the buy prince will be close to rent price or they will just price them self out of business

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010

that is something I will signup for.

If they don't like $1 TV rental, I wonder why they'll let redbox do $1 movie rental.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
That sucks, was almost finished with Bones season 6, now I'll have to watch it elsewhere (and no it's not on Netflix yet).

/firstworldproblems

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Fox said last year that this is a limited test run. It's likely that they expected (and Steve promised them) far more than a doubling of sales to make up for the lower price point and that never materialized. I personally think it's a real shame. The iTunes video selection is still crippled by multiple issues. Too high prices were and remain one of them, others are spotty selection, "viewing windows", unreliable picture quality and removal of features vs DVD releases.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Why do I see some TV shows on iTunes with the 99 cent rental link then?

Edit: Wow, never mind. Taken down just seconds after I posted this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.