Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

023702-white_iphone_4_gone_500.jpg

Following another delay until spring 2011 for the white iPhone 4 and rumors that the device has been canceled altogether, Apple has now removed mention of the model from its primary ordering page for the iPhone 4 in all localizations of its online store.

Apple's online store had previously depicted both the white and black iPhone 4, with text under the image of the white model noting that it was unavailable for ordering or in-store pickup. Apple continues to use a white iPhone 4, however, in promotional images for the company's bumpers. The white model is also still shown in Apple's iPhone 4 image gallery.

Article Link: Apple Removes Mention of White iPhone 4 From Online Store

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Apple continues to use a white iPhone 4, however, in promotional images for the company's bumpers. The white model is also still shown in Apple's iPhone 4 image gallery.
I always wonder whether they use (retouched) actual images, Photoshop mock-ups, or a combination of the two to create their promotional images. I always suspected it was highly Photoshopped actual images, but things like this make me wonder.

Of course, it's possible they've made a few (safe to assume they have) and even gone so far as to create promotional images with them, even if they weren't happy with the device itself.

Also goes to show their preference for appearance over function (anyone else would have changed the product design to make it work)--but also that they have some boundaries as to when, like this, it's not OK for one to compromise the other. :)

devilbond

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
I always wonder whether they use (retouched) actual images, Photoshop mock-ups, or a combination of the two to create their promotional images. I always suspected it was highly Photoshopped actual images, but things like this make me wonder.

Of course, it's possible they've made a few (safe to assume they have) and even gone so far as to create promotional images with them, even if they weren't happy with the device itself.

I've worked on their video campaigns for previous iPhones (not v4) and they have been CG renders out of Cinema 4D for the most part. Their interaction videos have been real devices, but heavily 'altered' in post to show apps loading faster, etc.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah it's over. At some point they have to cut the production schedule to prepare for the iPhone 5. Not saying that iPhone 5 production has started (it hasn't) but with all the problems with production that the white iPhone 4 has been having, they can't keep pushing back the release over and over or it will cross with the iPhone 5.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I still think we will see the iPhone 4 in white in spring... if only for Apple to recoup some of their losses by aiming it at the people who are too impatient/ignorant to wait until the iPhone 5 comes out a few months after.

Thomasasz

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Apple sometimes looks like the Big Brother from G. Orwell's "1984". They 'retouch' history without any official explanations :D

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
The phrase "screwed the pooch" springs to mind...

Nail in the coffin?

This is a major embarrassment for Apple.

I'm sure it is pretty disappointing to Apple that they have been unable to release the white iPhone.

However, whatever the embarrassment/disappointment/negative-pub may be associated with this, it pales in comparison to what would have happened had they released a phone with color problems (and possibly camera issues if you believe the recent rumors). I think they are making the right choice. Hopefully they get things fixed come iPhone 5.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
Central Coast, California
It's about damn time.

Reasonable people know it's not coming. At best we'll have a white iPhone 5 next summer.

It amazes me how badly they screwed this up. They deserve to be embarrassed for it.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
That's a shame. I preferred the black, but I've always liked white Apple products. I wish that my 3G had been white.

drapacioli

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
To be honest if they do manage to release it in the spring it will be too little too late. Best to bury the white iPhone 4 and learn to make the 5th gen better from it. But luckily for apple, most of their consumers won't hold a grudge and both can move on to bigger and better things. If there are flaws which are preventing Apple from selling the white iPhone, they would almost certainly come with bigger consequences than not releasing one would bring. Apple needs to focus on it's product quality to keep it's image, I just wish they would make a decision as soon as possible.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Woohoo! The Apple / Foxconn drama continues.

When a Contract Manufacturer fails to deliver on an accepted specification, this in almost all manufacturing contracts are terms for termination or at least non-exclusivity.

So do we look for incompetence or conspiracy here? Is this the justification that one side are going to use to kill the Apple / Foxconn.

Chalkperson

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
I've worked on their video campaigns for previous iPhones (not v4) and they have been CG renders out of Cinema 4D for the most part. Their interaction videos have been real devices, but heavily 'altered' in post to show apps loading faster, etc.

The Still Photography is real, the concept is done in 3G then the Photographers come in and do it for real...the Packaging is all still done on 8x10 film...

Bizzways

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
wow, feeling sorry for those that tried to wait out the release of the White i4. I waited a whole 3 weeks, then caved.

I don't see why people are giving credit to apple for withholding the white b/c of issues... the black had enough issues to be held back as well.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
wow, feeling sorry for those that tried to wait out the release of the White i4. I waited a whole 3 weeks, then caved.

I don't see why people are giving credit to apple for withholding the white b/c of issues... the black had enough issues to be held back as well.

And yet, "Antenna-Gate" seems to have fizzled away... seems all the anti-iPhone 4 hype from the Android crowd didn't do much damage...

I haven't had a dropped call since I upgraded mine on launch day, and that says a lot given the not-so-great reception with my previous iPhone...

When I first read about the "non-issue" and "don't hold it that way" drama I was hilariously steamed, but in the end, seems Jobs was right (not about holding it a certain way, about it being a non-issue)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.