Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Removes RSS Feed Readers From Chinese App Store

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
No, it’s a pretty much a legal requirement.

I don't think it's true that a publicly traded company has to compromise on their values to maximize profits in any particular timeframe. If an investor tried to sue them over it, Apple could always argue that they were looking at some other timescale. Sure, rocking the boat with China will hurt in this quarter and this year, but over the next decade those superior values could win out as they improve their brand's standing (and if China budges, Apple can call it a win and come back - with more robust sales now that more people in China are happy). Plus, if an investor is really concerned, they wouldn't sue the company - they'd just move their money elsewhere.

Plenty of publicly traded companies stick to their values. Apple used to be one of them.

Comment

Bandaman

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2019
I wish it was that simple. Many, many, many US companies are tied to China via the capitalist desire for money. What’s not particularly fair is to pull Apple out amongst the dozens (hundreds) of companies that support the authoritarian Chinese Govt. from Walmart to sourcing companies not to mention companies from, say Korea. Are we equally disgusted that Samsun also abides by the Chinese Govt’s requests? And what is Apples legal responsibility in a country? Unless all American based companies are asked to stop doing any business with China you can’t expect any one company to alter Chinese Govt, practice.
It is that simple. They’re putting profit before ethics and completely stand against everything they claim to believe in with their dealings with China. Tim Cook also skirts answering questions regarding the matter. And just because other companies do it is irrelevant. The topic and this entire website was made for Apple products. That whataboutism helps nobody. As for Samsung, they at least pulled all their manufacturing for their phones out of China.

And yes, we are equally disgusted by other companies pandering to the CCP, just look at the crap Disney is getting right now for Mulan, but most companies have neither the size nor the influence of Apple. Yes it’s happening all over the place, and that’s the problem. China has far too much say in how the world currently functions. It needs to stop.

Comment

germinator

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2009
There's nothing in that document (if you bother to read it) that says "We will violate the law if we don't agree with it." In fact it states:

LOL.

It's time to recognize:
1. The CCP is a criminal organization
2. China does not have a legitimate government
3. Every company that engages in China is going to lose in the end. Apple has already finding that they lost control there. Too many western companies stupidly invested in Chine lured by the promise of more short-term profits. It was a mistake.

Comment

ArPe

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2020
Important point in this article about why the CCP uses mass surveillance and spyware social media apps. To rank people according to their behavior - who would likely support the CCP, who wouldn’t, who can be transformed into an ally, who can’t, who to use, who to eliminate if needed.

According to Yuri Bezmenov in the 80s Russia did this in India. If they ever needed to cause regime change by force or corruption, they would know in advance who would be a useful idiot and who would resist. Mobile apps and social media today has made this data gathering much easier.

Attachments

• 28EC1AC4-30B2-4F88-9EAD-1C3C3D9341A8.jpeg
    28EC1AC4-30B2-4F88-9EAD-1C3C3D9341A8.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa
Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
“It's not clear why Apple waited until now to block the additional feed readers,”

To Apple’s credit here, it sounds like they’re not actively involved in seeking out offending apps. It seems more like they wait for the Chinese government to discover the apps and request their removal.
Most definitely, can totally picture impulse decisions at a high level or a government-someone wanting to gain some browny points in a military-like favors-based structure.

I come from a country where the government isn’t that far dissimilar behavior-wise and more often than not the jailing of someone, the shutdown of a business or basically any witch hunt would be accompanied with accolades and even public national gov TV exposure for that person for being “an ally and a comrade to the cause”. That would in turn advance that person’s career along the ranks internally.

Comment

aknabi

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Incoming youngsters who don't believe companies should comply with local laws..

I see so if Apple should report employees who are Muslim in order to send them to a concentration camp you'd think that's their moral obligation to do so... and I'm sure that you would say companies that were operating in Germany ~80 years ago were "doing the right thing and following local laws"

More like "Incoming youngsters who don't believe companies should comply with 'Profit Über Alles'" (though I'll never qualify for a youngster anymore :/)

Comment

Bandaman

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2019
I see so if Apple should report employees who are Muslim in order to send them to a concentration camp you'd think that's their moral obligation to do so... and I'm sure that you would say companies that were operating in Germany ~80 years ago were "doing the right thing and following local laws"

More like "Incoming youngsters who don't believe companies should comply with 'Profit Über Alles'" (though I'll never qualify for a youngster anymore :/)
Yeah, but ... laws. They’re lawful. They even have the word “law” in there so it must be moral and good and right! Just blindly follow them! Never stand up for what’s right! Cuz when has good ever come about from large groups of people fighting for what they believe in? /s

Really though, I think a big part of the problem is some people are completly oblivious to the atrocities happening over there, which is unfortunate and sad.

Reactions: aknabi
Comment

Northern Man

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
I wish it was that simple. Many, many, many US companies are tied to China via the capitalist desire for money. What’s not particularly fair is to pull Apple out amongst the dozens (hundreds) of companies that support the authoritarian Chinese Govt. from Walmart to sourcing companies not to mention companies from, say Korea. Are we equally disgusted that Samsun also abides by the Chinese Govt’s requests? And what is Apples legal responsibility in a country? Unless all American based companies are asked to stop doing any business with China you can’t expect any one company to alter Chinese Govt, practice.
Apple gets criticised for a simple reason that many choose to ignore. Cook stands on a pulpit on a regular basis and claims that he and Apple are so interested in human rights, supportive of equality, religious freedom, humane working conditions, and on and on. It comes across as very hypocritical and meaningless when Apple is obviously only interested in the $$$$$. If Cook would just shut up Apple would get a lot less flak about asking “how high” when China tells Apple “to jump”.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.