Apple Renews 'Carpool Karaoke: The Series' for Second Season

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has renewed "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" for a second season, CBS CEO Les Moonves announced this afternoon (via The Hollywood Reporter). Positioned as Apple's second original TV show after "Planet of the Apps," "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" season 1 debuted last August.

"Carpool Karaoke: The Series" is based on the Carpool Karaoke segment made popular by "The Late Late Show With James Corden." Apple's TV show pairs up different celebrities, musicians, athletes, putting them together in a car to sing popular songs.

In season 1, featured celebrity pairings included Will Smith and James Corden; Miley, Noah, Billy Ray and the entire Cyrus family; Shakira and Trevor Noah; Game of Thrones stars Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams; Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith; John Legend, Alicia Keys and Taraji P. Henson; LeBron James and James Corden; and more.

"Carpool Karaoke: The Series" was developed by Apple as a way to promote its Apple Music service and to offer exclusive entertainment to Apple Music subscribers. The show aired each Tuesday on Apple Music, and past episodes can be viewed by Apple Music subscribers.

It is not yet clear when the second season of "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" might debut, but it could see an August launch much like the first season.

Article Link: Apple Renews 'Carpool Karaoke: The Series' for Second Season

2. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

Who are they renewing this for? Does anyone like it? Anything about celebrities makes me not give a rats a$$.

3. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

4. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Never saw the first season... I don’t think it’s appealing to me anyway.

5. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I Don’t think Apple is having an identity crisis, I just think Apple is branching outinto different segments that’s not appealing to everybody, primarily because they are tech company first. But this type of entertainment just doesn’t seem fitting for a large majority of the Apple enthusiasts.

7. subjonas macrumors 65816

I would watch it if it guest-starred real singers or comedians only.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think a lot of James Corden's segments are good, especially when he had Stevie, Elton orAdele in the car.

9. jdillings macrumors 68000

They're renewing it because this and the app show is all they got right now. If they don't renew this, then they will have no original shows with new episodes.

10. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

I think I would be ok with that.

11. now i see it macrumors 68000

12. akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

I didn't even realize the first season came out.

13. LaraCroft835 macrumors member

LaraCroft835

do you have the data to back that up? I think Apple would know just a smidge more.

14. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Useless bubblegum comedy from the company afraid to make a TV show with a curse word.

15. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

Agree. Who gives a crap about this stupid series. People watching rich, shallow celebrities doing rich, shallow things in a car. Can we grow up please?

16. johnbalash macrumors newbie

johnbalash

I know, I didn't even watch the first season. I think they need original content though.

17. Appleaker macrumors 68020

The comments here are ridiculous. This show certainly wasn’t targeted at Macrumors forum users nor was it targeted at tech enthusiasts.
    It doesn’t help that half the people here see this as their entry into the original content market at the same level as companies like Netflix. It is not competing against Stranger Things and if it’s not for you, then don’t watch it.

18. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Yet more proof that Apple’s demographic has been taken over by moms and tweens. Oh well, I can’t blame Apple for catering to their biggest patrons.

19. doc james macrumors member

20. mackfreek macrumors newbie

mackfreek

They sucked all the life out of this feature.. made it too long and without any audience reactions or a consistent host like the original version it falls on its face. Waste of money.

21. hotdwag macrumors newbie

hotdwag

I know it's probably been stated, but investing in the production of series by Apple, instead of actual technology and existing platforms, is confusing. I get they are trying to get a foothold in another industry, but it seems like a waste of money.

22. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

This used to be funny and entertaining before Apple took over.