Apple replaced bent iPhone 6!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kzhlin, Nov 6, 2014.

1. kzhlin, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

kzhlin macrumors member

I got my iPhone 6 on release day and put the Apple case on it since day 1. Never dropped it.

Then 2 days ago, I put it down on my table and noticed that it was a bit wobbly. Took off the case and saw that my iPhone was curved slightly...

Called Apple and they said bending is accidental damage and should not occur under normal use. Well I never dropped it or anything. The only thing I could think of is my tighter pants might have caused it to bend? Is this not normal use? Should I not wear pants or something?!

Going to Apple Store right now to see if they can do anything...

EDIT: Going to the actual Apple Store resolved everything. Telephone CS kept telling me how Apple doesn't replace bent iPhones because "they go through rigorous testing and shouldn't bend" and all bends are due to user error. Went to the actual Apple Store and the Technician said she's seen this occur a few times and ordered a replacement for me. :D

2. iceperson macrumors 6502

Oh boy. I really wish every MR member would post when their phone bends. I'm looking forward to the day every post on page 1 in the phone forum is a bent phone topic. Maybe then the deniers will believe...

3. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

5. cynics macrumors G4

You think you're frustrated now? Wait till page 3 of this thread.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

The iPhone section of macrumors is truly pathetic.

7. calvol macrumors 6502a

Fight it, tell the Genius you paid for a flat iPhone, and would like a refund, and that normal use should include carrying in front pocket like any other phone you've used in the past, without bending.

8. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

So, the phone was working fine, until you noticed it was slightly wobbly? And then it just stopped working altogether, right?
    Take it into the Apple store, tell them that you did nothing and that it bent all on it's own, and get them to replace it. Barring that, sell the device and buy something that you know won't bend.

9. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Called Apple and they said bending is accidental damage and should not occur under normal use.

You don't find that at all a bit scary...when you know..... it obviously is occurring with normal use?? Makes me hesitant to ever buy an Apple product again.

10. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

Apparently over-the-phone Apple Customer Service and in-store Customer Service is different. Gave me totally different answers regarding warranty. They didn't have it in stock in-store and ordered me a replacement. Sweet!

11. surfer17 macrumors member

Man, I swear to you this happened with my iPhone 6 a couple days ago as well. The iPhone was bent every so slightly, yet noticeable. I felt there was something off about it when using it and on further inspection noticed that it was slightly curved. I have booked an appointment with Apple Store for Monday and I hope my luck is as good as yours and they agree to replace it.

I didn't post it on MacRumors because I knew the response from the members wasn't going to be great. Stuff like, "Deal with it." or "Learn to take care of your device." would be what I'd get for sharing my experience.

I've been the biggest proponent of Apple products amongst my family and friends for past few years and I was probably the first person to laugh off the bend-gate issue and I too had a response like, "People will do anything to put Apple down." So I understand where members of this forum are coming from.

But truly, it hurts when this happens to oneself personally. Yes I understand Aluminum is malleable and can bend, but its sad that this can happen in your pocket with a $900 device...

12. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

The problem with your logic is the statement: it obviously is occurring with normal use

There is absolutely now proof and the numbers or people complaining about bending are minuscule compared to the amount of iPhones sold.

Looking at the numbers, this is comparable to the amount of people that had a broken screens with previous iPhones. Where was display gate then?

13. barrcuda70 macrumors newbie

I had a bent iPhone 6 and they made me pay the 79 in store to get it replaced with my apple care plus

14. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Might want to go back and change the title of the thread.
    Glad you got it taken care of by Apple.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Please continue wearing pants.

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

17. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

All I see is that you are ignored KDParker... don't know what you said and don't care. I am sure it is the same drivel.

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've had an apple case on mine since day one too. I've just taken it out of the case and guess what - it's completely straight without a hint of a bend. I've carried it in my front pocket so how the hell has it not bent? I thought iPhones bent on their own or at the very least as soon as they went near a pocket /s

On a serious note, they will only bend if enough force is applied. You could argue the required force is too low but the fact remains, they don't bend unless a force is applied: they're not mysteriously bending through tele-kinesis ;)

19. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Or there is a bad batch which you luckily didn't get, or they come out of the box bent. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. There is plenty of proof out there.

20. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

When are the fanboys going to admit that it is a well known issue and stop responding like fanboys lol. You guys are ridiculous. I bet if your phone bends and you go to the Apple Store and they replace it for free you're not going to say "no please just let me pay the out of warranty replacement fee"

21. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

It's amusing watching people try to force this to get traction.

22. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Love the comment!

Glad you got it replaced OP.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Or we could just have a whole sub fourm called "Bent phones". Then the deniers don't need to see the "my iPhone 6/6 Plus bent" thread all the ****ing time.

24. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Or, they could just not click and respond to the threads they hate reading but feel compelled to post to anyway. By responding they add to the thread...hmmm What a novel idea don't you think? :D

So happy you got your phone replaced OP.

25. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I've been an Apple fanboy for a long time and own most of their products--iMac, iPhone (since the original iPhone), MacBook Pros, etc. Almost always impressed and satisfied with their products until my iPhone 6 bent. But Apple replaced it anyways. :apple: