iPad Apple Replacement Policy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SPNarwhal, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

So I had an iPad 2 to repair (cracked digitizer) which I did the entire repair job correctly. I gave it back to the client and was paid for it, and apparently it has since started to malfunction. (touches random areas while she isn't even touching the screen) - I assume to be a defected digitizer, but she said she doesn't want to waste any more time on replacing it again, so she wants to just take it in to Apple.

Apple doesn't repair these, all they do is replace them, and since she isn't (and wasn't) under warranty, she would be paying 250 to give them hers and they would just replace it with a different model.

My question is, will Apple still do this even though it's been repaired now? It's been opened up. I know that opening it disrupts any kind of warranty, but how does it work with this being out of warranty? She would still be paying them 250, as well as giving them her current iPad, for another one.

To be completely honest, I'm not even sure they would know the screen wasn't the original, but at the same time I wouldn't expect or ask my client to lie to them about it. I just don't want them to turn her away.

2. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

They can tell because of the way the screen looks. Ain't trying to bust your balls or to flame you. Only reason I know is a buddy of mine did it with his iPhone 4, replaced the screen for $39 as opposed to a replacement by Apple which was much more expensive, when he took it in they said "No". Third party screens usually have big squares on them and you can tell by looking at it, where as Apple's screens have small squares all around. Hope this helps.

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

So they won't even allow her to pay the 250 for a replacement anymore? Hmm.. I mean, worst case scenario is she just lets me put on another digitizer. Wish I'd have known that. There's nowhere to buy an OEM Apple Digitizer either. Darn.

4. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Best bet is to repair the screen again yourself. Doesn't sound like Apple will let her return it.

Is repairing the screens difficult? I would imagine the screens you put in don't suffer from the yellow screen effect that is all too common with the ones coming from Apple? Is a replacement screen even noticeable in daily use? How much does it cost to have done, installation and materials?

Do you repair third and fourth gen iPads too?

----------

Why did your friend take his iPhone 4 in? Was it related to the screen he replaced?

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

When I replace the screen it's just the front glass, I'm assuming the yellow tint issue involves the LCD itself.

I haven't done an iPad 3+ but I'm sure I could. The materials cost around 50-60 or so.

6. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

What they told him is that because he performed "unauthorized" modifications, Apple's terms of service refuses service to modified iPhones, therefore they said "we can't help you" and "next time, only get it serviced by apple". One bad thing about Apple products is that they have complete control of their products in the sense that at the end of the day, without them you're screwed

We have a local cell phone store that fixes all different type of products using other third party replacements. No stores have apple screens