Apple replacing a broken iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mcdelaney, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mcdelaney macrumors newbie

About a week ago I dropped my new iPad 3G on a pool deck. While the screen remained intact, the back cover was badly bent and the rotation lock switch was broken as well. Even though it was clearly my fault and I had no warranty claim, I scheduled a genius bar appointment just to see what they would say. Asked what happened by the Apple rep, I recounted the story stating specifically that "I dropped it on a pool deck," and "I realize this is my fault and that the warranty is void." The apple rep didnt respond, instead, he simply began typing something into his computer. A moment later, he looked up and pronounced "I'm going to just send you a new one. Don't worry about it." I've always been impressed with Apple's customer service, but this goes beyond any reasonable expectation. Has anyone else had a similar experience or was I just very lucky?

2. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Wow man, all I got to say is you really lucked out and got a Rep on his good day, you were honest on what happened and he let it slide and gave you a new one, kudos to you.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Fantastic customer service. I somehow doubt you'd ever see something like that from Dell, Toshiba or Sony.

5. wyneken macrumors regular

I just got a replacement for a coffee-damaged iPhone 4. I don't think you can count on this kind of thing, but it's nice to know the tech-support people are given enough of a free reign to make their own call in these situations.

6. Mcdelaney thread starter macrumors newbie

I suspect that they chose to replace it because it was still fully functional other than the broken rotation lock and cosmetic damage to the back cover. The back cover and rotation lock switch are amongst the ipad's cheaper components. The screen, processor, digitizer and other pieces could easily be repackaged by apple and sold as a refurbished iPad.

7. LadyMacBeth43 macrumors newbie

I dropped mine about two feet and it took a slight dent to the power button (the one on the side you need to do a reset). I didn't even notice anything was wrong for several hours of use after it dropped. It was in my shoulder bag when it fell, inside the InCase Convertible Book Jacket, which is a pretty hefty leather case. The damage done was pretty much done at the most vulnerable spot in the case, simply because you need that spot accessible press the button. There was a slight dent over the area of the button, which eventually depressed and would no longer function.

I got by fine without it for a few weeks until Netflix stopped working and we needed to do a hard reset. I went to the Genius Bar and explained the situation. The woman said they would simply replace it for free as a "one time only" type of deal because the damage was so minimal and the machine was in such good condition otherwise. I walked out of the store with a new iPad that worked. I'm assuming it was refurbished. The only issue I have is that the battery is not as mind-blowingly stellar as the one in my original, but since I didn't have to shell out $300 to fix my original, I'm ok with that.

This was the second time in a month I'd had something replaced as a "one time only" type of deal. I don't know how they determine when they will do this or not. I didn't ask, I just hit the door and ran.

8. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Cool. I've found Apple to be very good at customer service and although my iPad screen was messed up from the factory (at least I believe it was although I did drop it) they replaced it without any issues.

I've also found that in situations like that telling the truth up front always results in a better situation. Good job.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

So I take it the first thing you're going to do with the new iPad is to take it out on a pool deck? ;)

10. VitoFrank macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple Store Saturday morning to see if I could get my iPad replaced even though it was not covered by warranty since I dropped it and it broke. I think that I had a convincing reason why I felt that they should replace it. The power cord is pretty short. I bumped it and as it fell off the table, it first hit my bare foot before making a soft landing on the carpet. I didn't even bother to check to see if there was any damage. I simply put it back on the table and decided to get ready for work. It was only when I came back to it that I discovered that it had frozen up. At that time I noticed for the first time that there were these very fine hairline cracks. It sort of looked like a small spider web. My position was that it should not have broken so easily. I was hopeful since Apple is all about customer satisfaction. I bought it a little over one month ago and have grown to love it.

So am I a raving fan of Apple? You bet! They replaced it without an argument!

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, same thing happened to me. A few months back I dropped my iPad 2 from the seat of a chair onto carpet. 2 feet tops. It landed on a corner and shattered the glass. I went into the Apple store fully expecting to buy one while they sent my broken one for repair, and I was planning on selling it on eBay. Well, imagine my surprise when they gave me a new iPad replacement!

Because of that one incident I am now a MacBorg. I have been assimilated. I love great customer service, and I love Apple's products. Don't get me wrong, I still have some pet peeves with Apple's design "decisions" that take away my ability to choose (Newstand anyone?). And I am a gadget freak so I will play with other devices and enjoy them all. But I give credit where credit is due, and Apple has earned a LOT of my money lately... :D

12. number84 macrumors 6502

Strange that your battery is worse since believe refurbs they changeout the battery along with the outside parts.

13. pingfan59 macrumors member

That just confirms that I will be buying an iPad 2 before too long knowing if anything happens, it will be taken care of. Although I will be buying a Griffin or Otterbox case to prevent damage from possible drops.

Awesome that they did replace it for you. This might be an added incentive for people looking to get AppleCare to extend coverage.

14. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, not always.

16. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Okay okay, 99.9% of the time.

17. VitoFrank macrumors newbie

I believe he referred to it as an "one time swap" but as already mentioned, I'm not sure that it is an automatic sure thing.

----------

Mine was not functional.

18. AlphaDogg, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

They've never done this "one time exception" for me for any of my apple devices. So you should change that to "on a case by case basis."

Edit: Well then again, I have never broken one of my devices... Wait, that is not true. I did spill water on my '07 MacBook and when sending it in for a replacement screen (apple was going to replace it because of the pressure spots), they saw the corrosion and wanted me to spend $800 for repair. It still works, albeit with a decidedly less-than-perfect screen.

19. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You realize this happened 14 -15 months ago? It sounds like with the advent of Applecare+, Apple has revised this "one-time" policy to be much more restrictive.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Is AppleCare+ avaiable for iPads? I thought it was only for iPhones. Well, I suppose when iPad3 comes out, they will probably offer Care+ for that, but is it avaiable now for iPad2?

21. Sabretooth234 macrumors newbie

Not impressed

Bought an iPad in July '10. On/Off switch stopped working a month ago but iPad works perfectly. Victor, NY store told me it was stuck and make a Genius appointment, no problem. Made the appointment at Walden Galleria Apple store near Buffalo. Waited 15 minutes for help. Woman (not a genius for sure) looked at it, tried to turn it off and told me it was broken. No kidding. For $499 she would send it back. I said it was not worth it but that my issue was I couldn't fly with it if I couldn't turn it off. She then told me that you only have to put it in airplane mode...she does it and her flights have not crashed. While I recognize I could do that I know the airline/FAA rules. Not impressed with service, not impressed with ignorant answer. Not a mark on the iPad and I didn't drop it. It's a quality issue. The switch is just stuck. Maybe a better Apple store has smarter people?

22. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

Your warranty is expired unless you bought the extended warranty. It may be hardware issue but that's what warranty us for . Not her fault or yours she's just doing her job

23. ixthys macrumors newbie

Need to lower your number again...

I posted the following, in a different thread but with a similar subject.

"Just brought my ipad2 in today, with a broken glass corner, from dropping it. They would not budge and said it'd be $350 to fix. I even bought the apple care service, and it is not covered by that either.

Looks like they pick and choose who they'll help...apparently I wasn't one of those lucky ones.

While I'm glad some of you got your iPad fixed for free, it sets a bad precedence to randomly choose who you'll help."

24. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

As much as I believe that it is very fortunate for you guys to get a free replacement, I'm always disappointed to find out Apple has great customer care in the United States, but has terrible customer care throughout Europe.

I mean, come on. You go to an Apple Store and get a free replacement for an iPad you broke yourself. That's great for you. In Europe, however, you are more likely to find Apple ignorant: even in your official warranty period, they are most likely to refuse to repair or replace your product.

Sure, in the first six months there are no problems... but after that...