Apple replacing defective Iphones with refurbished (used)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by attorneyseda, Apr 3, 2012.

1. attorneyseda macrumors newbie

I bought my first apple computer in 1984. Since then I have purchased more than 20 Apple devices including 4 Iphones. In addition, other family members and companies I have been with have purchased large numbers of Apple devices.

My relatively new 4s had a manufactures’ defective (according to ATT who inspected the phone) and Apple refused to replace it except with a "refurbished" device with no additional warranty protection extending forward the one year that a new device should have.

I spent two hours arguing the point with Apple store manager and then with several levels of Apple corporate representatives in the CEO's offices.

I have read other user comments including one in which the Iphone replaced with a refurbished unit was only a few days old. Is this the same company that bragged about quality and customer loyalty?

Shame on you Apple!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is no secret nor is it new news that Apple will replace your iDevice with a refurb if they have one available.

Shame on Apple? I guess it depends on how you look at it. You brought in a device that you used, you came out with a device that is still used but fully functional.

3. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

IMO a refurbished apple product is better then a new in box apple product since it goes through a lot of testing. That said most manufactures will give you a refurb.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am going to let the cat out of the bag. Ready for it? Most companies do this...

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I hope you didn't plan to use the replies on here to support your lawsuit.

6. wpotere Guest

Someone needs to get a grip and wake up. As mentioned, almost all companies do this. What do you think they should do?:rolleyes:

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Refurbished phones have a new front, back and battery and go through far stricter testing than their new devices do.

As stated, refurbs are ofter superior to new devices.

8. attorneyseda thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

No, there is no need for such support. My intent is to provide information for others who can make an informed decision in their next purchase. I was about to purchase the new Ipad. Great as my old one was, I now will look at other options.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's great you are looking at other options. It really is (no sarcasm). Just be aware, you will be facing similar policies no matter what you buy. If you are switching for this reason alone, you are likely in for a rude awakening.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not that I care what you buy but why would you look at other options? Do you know that other tablet and phone makers will give you a refurb if available? Apple won't if the product is new and there aren't any, but if a refurb is available you will get that.

11. wpotere Guest

Just realize that those other options will do the same thing if it breaks. :eek:

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So they should replace a used product with a new one? Refurbs are the same if not better quality than new phones, the only difference is the box. I'm surprised after owning Aple products for 28 years you've never had to exchange something before, but there you go.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He says he has but obviously something isn't right. This little PSA he has left tells me that he either lives under a rock or is truly new to forums because even with my limited bad luck with Apple products, I know this as well.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The warranty states that the replacement may be new or refurbished. Read it.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I hope you realize that all of the "other options" have the same warranty policies. This is standard practice: for warranty repairs, you're not guaranteed a new device and will more likely than not get either your device repaired, or an identical model that was repaired, tested and known to be working.

I know this myself from personal experience. When a I had Blackberry with issues, I took it in for repair and got a refurb. The Sony Clie I bought back in the day that had a defective screen? Got a refurb. The ThinkPad I used before I switched to Macs? I had to send that in to a repair depot and a week later they shipped the very same unit back to me... repaired, but with stripped screws and deep gouges on the bottom from the idiot repair monkey who used a drill to get the screws in and out, and let the drill skip and gouge my laptop when he tightened the screws too tight.

In fact, Apple BY FAR has the best warranty service of any electronics vendor I've dealt with. Their refurbs are cleaned and remanufactured, and are almost always indistiguishable from new. They've been the only company to give me a refurb I was truly pleased with, rather than something which showed signs of wear and I just had to cope with that because, hey, at least it worked.

If you decide to go with "other options" based on Apple's warranty policies alone, then the only person you're really hurting here is yourself.

16. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Considering the "new" 4S had too many issues and glitches among other things like the screen being way noticeably yellow to where it was returned, our "refurb" 4S is much better.... I'll stick with the refurb over new lol. Like said, every company does this.

17. attorneyseda thread starter macrumors newbie

Friends, you miss my point. The presumption that everyone does it does not make it correct nor desireable. There are companies that honor the transaction by providing service and quality beyond what you expect. Apple used to be that type of company and we paid a higher price for its products and services.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Why on earth would you not buy an iPad knowing that refurbs are sometimes better than new?

----------

Because of their replacement policies, I will always stay loyal to Apple, it is top notch.

19. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Guess what.... Apples been replacing "new" items with "refurb" units for years.... not just iphones ;)

20. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That's just it. What each individual expects is unique based upon their own experiences.

Besides that, Apple's service and quality, especially when compared to other company's service and quality, are well beyond what a customer should expect. Their refurbished units, in most cases, can be just as good if not better quality as a brand new unit.

So I don't know where you get off when you say that "Apple used to be that type of company".

Wake up. They still are.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He probably thought they throw away all the defective ones and just keep replacing defective units with brand new ones.
    Yeah right:D
    Some people think the universe revolves around them...

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Plus, don't forget that if your phone show circuits or explodes into flames today, you can have a working replacement tonight and anytime during the one year warranty. I know of no other company that does this. We're talking companies such as Apple and HP, not BestBuy.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No one missed your point. This is industry standard and it is acceptable to everyone but a limited scope of people I suppose. You can find another company but chances are you'll be sorely disappointed. My advice, stop shopping.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

While it's unfortunate that your relative got a defective iPhone 4S, there is nothing inherently wrong with getting a remanufactured model if it's working and is of good quality, especially if that's what the warranty says you're going to get.

Is the replacement that your relative received defective? Are there specific problems with it that make it unacceptable? Or are you simply worried that it might have cooties from its previous owner or something?

If the replacement has defects or issues that hinder its usability, then that refurb should've been rejected and another replacement demanded, up front.

One other thing to mention: Apple is also known to specifically manufacture a batch of a particular product that is meant to be used only as replacements. Those come in the same white box as the true refurbs. So unless yours has scratches, cracks or something else that clearly shows prior use and abuse, you really don't know for sure if you have a used one or not.

(And if it DOES have scratches, scuffs or cracks that make its used nature obvious, I'd still take it back and demand another.)

To me, and to may others, they still very much are.

One last thing: did you get this replacement directly from Apple, or did you get it from AT&T?

25. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why would they risk giving you another new device that may also be defective when they can give you one that they know is working and has a new casing?

For that matter, you also complained about the warranty in your first post and how it's not extended for the new phone... if it were, what would stop people from continually trading in their phones on the last day and keep it under warranty indefinitely?