Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
Whatever you guys say, this is a success story for the founders and chief investors of Color. In essence: "they made it" and we ponder over what we are still doing on these forums. Well at least I do, I remember when the Apple stock was worth just under $100 and I debated on buying some, but then again a poor student can't buy stocks. You have to have money to make money

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
How and Why would apple fix something that seems to be Valves problem? :rolleyes:

Seems to me that Safari needs changing to protect or at least warn users of this issue. The more awareness there is, the more chance they'll do something about it, hence my post here.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Ha! Daring Fireball was just ripping on them again, apparently unrelated to this rumor. Seems there may be an Apple-related story in there by coincidence!

(The Color “social media” service itself does seem pretty unappealing and worth ripping on. But if they have other tech...?)

considering his blog has gotten worse with apple getting more and more high profile i expect him to backpedal out of his repeated criticism of color.

df is almost unreadable with his crazed bias in every story be it google, apple, microsoft etc. i dont get it. the guy is connected and smart and hes just a pr mouthpiece

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Whatever you guys say, this is a success story for the founders and chief investors of Color. In essence: "they made it" and we ponder over what we are still doing on these forums. Well at least I do, I remember when the Apple stock was worth just under $100 and I debated on buying some, but then again a poor student can't buy stocks. You have to have money to make money

Yeah, they "made it", the collected a whole lot of capital from investors, made products that failed then were bought for little more money than the cash they received. Remember, the investors control the company, they would have made Apple pay up as much as they can to release the founders. The founds would have made next to no money on the deal, given how investments are structured.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Let me guess.

They've "successfully" replaced Google Maps with their own "brilliant" solution, so maybe now they want to replace Youtube with their own "brilliant" solution?

;)

Maps was less about creating a competitor to Google Maps and more about purging iOS of Google-dependency. As of now, there is absolutely 0 Google software included with iOS, so there's no need to go and reinvent the wheel with a Youtube clone.

If this is true, it probably has more to do with patents and/or talent than market-sector maneuvering.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I'm still waiting for Apple to do something with Lala.
If I remember right, they paid 100 million for it.

I used to use it and missed it after Apple shut it down. It's been a couple years, you would have thought something would have happened by now.

I thought some of its tech was used in iTunes Match.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
You joke - but if Target behaved like Apple - that logo would have been in court the second it showed up on the internet.

Yeah Target must not be like Apple. They would be targeted by every Tom, Dick and Harry patent trolls.

They will also be targeted by unscrupulous competitors who refuse to pay royalties. Even competitors who had to fake an address to make Apple software look worse than their own.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yeah Target must not be like Apple. They would be targeted by every Tom, Dick and Harry patent trolls.

They will also be targeted by unscrupulous competitors who refuse to pay royalties. Even competitors who had to fake an address to make Apple software look worse than their own.

Oh relax.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
"… for a file format that they were working on to record HD video. Or it's software engineering team, if Apple was impressed by their work…"

Maybe they're seeking some tech to help people properly use something as simple as an apostrophe. :) Eek's!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh sure say that to the trolls and unscrupulous competition instead. ;^)

This has nothing to do with patents. Apple is notorious for suing anyone who's logo even remotely has elements like theirs. And some are HUGE stretches. My post was clearly tongue in cheek. You don't need to be a "troll" or "fanboy" to agree that Apple has always protected their logo very very carefully.

polyex

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
Bill Nguyen

Sounds like the rare event of lightning striking twice has happened for Mr. Nguyen. He has some real cronies at Apple who are happy to help him get rich at the expense of Apple shareholders.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
This has nothing to do with patents. Apple is notorious for suing anyone who's logo even remotely has elements like theirs. And some are HUGE stretches. My post was clearly tongue in cheek. You don't need to be a "troll" or "fanboy" to agree that Apple has always protected their logo very very carefully.

Relax.

You don't have to explain to me who you are. People here can see it for themselves.

Apple get sued for logo and trademark infringement too. If your brand is valuable, of course there will be unscrupulous competitors trying to copy and smear you. At least Apple don't lie about competition's products to downplay them.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Relax.

You don't have to explain to me who you are. People here can see it for themselves.

Apple get sued for logo and trademark infringement too. If your brand is valuable, of course there will be unscrupulous competitors trying to copy and smear you. At least Apple don't lie about competition's products to downplay them.

That's open to interpretation isn't it. Apparently, the UK courts would argue that Apple was "lying"

Apple loses out in UK tablet design case against Samsung
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/apple-loses-uk-appeal/

Every company lies. Many companies sue. And a company doesn't have to be unscrupulous to be sued or to sue another.

People here can see your posts here for themselves too :)

Last edited:

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
But of course ! Be my guest.

Apple accused Samsung of copying. They won some, they lost some. Same for Google/Motorola and Samsung's infringement suits.

Google/Motorola created a fake address to trip Apple Maps, and made an ad out of it. Unfortunately, their own Map app accepted the garbage input. How odd ! 8^D

I wonder if Google/Motorola would pay Microsoft for their infringement. Samsung and other major Android licensees have already admitted that they should pay up. Nexus is a vanilla Android. Shouldn't they cough up the $$$ also ?

And if these Android vendors are compelled to pay MS, why reject cross licensing deals with Apple when they have more relevant patent portfolio ? Even MS has cross licensing deals in place with Apple. It looks like they already made up their mind not to pay Apple no matter what.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But of course ! Be my guest.

Apple accused Samsung of copying. They won some, they lost some. Same for Google/Motorola and Samsung's infringement suits.

Google/Motorola created a fake address to trip Apple Maps, and made an ad out of it. Unfortunately, their own Map app accepted the garbage input. How odd ! 8^D

I wonder if Google/Motorola would pay Microsoft for their infringement. Samsung and other major Android licensees have already admitted that they should pay up. Nexus is a vanilla Android. Shouldn't they cough up the $$$ also ?

You keep wanting to make the argument about something it's not. My original comment was that if Target responded to logos like Apple did, Color would have been sued long ago.

Do you disagree? If yes, state why you disagree - no need to go off on tangents. If you agree, then why go off on tangents? Smoke and mirrors, my friend. Let's stay on topic, shall we?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.