Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josiahsill

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Memphis, TN
Black bezel

They need to implement the black bezel on the air like they do on the pro...the air's bezel now just looks a little outdated compared to the pros

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
My credit card just leapt out of my wallet like a salmon returning home to spawn.

:D Poetry dude, sheer poetry.

The airs are gorgeous, I wish I could afford one right now. Well, right when the new ones are released.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
THE MAIN reason to buy the MacBook Air 11.6-inch is NOT because it is cheaper, but because it is lighter and smaller. Apple should make an even lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.
Not likely as they wouldn't be able to give it a full-sized keyboard and that is not only one of their selling points (their smallest computer has a full-sized keyboard), but also allows them to keep the same keyboard for (I believe) all models. To have that small a model would require a separate keyboard be made for it as compared to the one they use on pretty much all their models.

And why make a laptop of that size when there's the iPad? :confused: The iPad pretty much does the job of being lighter, smaller and doing all you'd want such a computer to do.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
THE MAIN reason to buy the MacBook Air 11.6-inch is NOT because it is cheaper, but because it is lighter and smaller. Apple should make an even lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.

A 7 inch screened laptop? That is a horrible idea lol. If people want anything that size they would have to get a crappy blackberry tablet or something. Just immagine using osx on a screen the size of four iPhones taped together.

That almost made me spit what I was drinking out on my screen lol :D

I did that on my macbook aluminum (08-09) model once, now the c key gets sticky sometimes :(

Last edited by a moderator:

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
So when would the new MBA come out? July?

If they are producing them now, when would they be released?

+1 Wondering as well.

Can someone please explain how significative of an improvement the Sandy Bridge is over C2D?

Would it justify selling my 11" 1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB SSD to replace with same on Sandy Bridge?

Love this laptop, best of the 12+ I have ever owned.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
They need to implement the black bezel on the air like they do on the pro...the air's bezel now just looks a little outdated compared to the pros

I've always assumed that's to keep the thickness and weight down to an absolute minimum, which is Apple's primary goal with the Air. The MacBook Pros and iMacs achieve the black bezel by adding a layer of glass over the display. It's entirely unnecessary, but gives you the aesthetics you're after.

As much as I like the look of the black bezel, I'd choose an anti-glare screen with no glass in front of it any day — so my brand new MacBook Pro has your 'outdated' aluminium bezel. Unfortunately, that costs us extra these days.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
The future of Macbook Pro is to become a Macbook Air. By 2015 all Macbooks will be in that form factor. That was the grand vision all along.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

i think 11" is the perfect size for the MBA imo. anything less than that, and the keyboard will be too cramped. battery life would take a hit too with a smaller form factor, since they wouldn't be able to include a good sized cell pack in there - and to me, battery life is the most important, so if sandy bridge means losing a bit of gpu power in exchange for better battery life - i'm happy with that trade off.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area

I think the power tradeoffs would be too great. Not that Apple hasn't zig-zagged in the past, but Steve Jobs has pretty recently (iPad debut) slammed netbooks as not good at anything - just small, cheap laptops.

The cool thing about MacBook Airs is that they have full-sized keyboards, large trackpads, great battery life with acceptable power sacrifices. Going down to 7-inches, I imagine either the processor, storage, or battery life would suffer too much.

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
256gb

Let there be a 256gb option in the 11" already!! Only thing stopping me from buying, 128gb is not enough

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
What rumour is that ? We heard an ARM based MBA rumour, but I haven't heard about the touch screen iOS MBA rumour, especially now that Steve Jobs himself during a keynote said "Touch screen computers just don't work".

Sounds like a rip-off of Lenovo's IdeaPad.

lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-tablet-laptop.jpg

yea but the Ideapad ain't Apple.
Imagine the best notebook combined with the best tablet..!

Why should an Apple-branded ZaggMate cost $501?

because it will run OSX with the keyboard and iOS as a touch?

Last edited by a moderator:

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
These need to come out ASAP!! I bought a C2D one and then read a rumor a month ago about the Sandy Bridge ones coming out, so I returned it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.