Apple Reportedly Launching Larger iPad in October 2014, Larger iPhone in May 2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 23, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a report last month stating that Apple supplier Quanta Computer had landed the contract to mass-produce a larger-sized iPad for late 2014, Digitimes is reporting that the 12.9-inch tablet will be released in October 2014 and will target North America's educational market. Apple is also said to be examining the possibility of replacing the 11-inch MacBook Air with the larger iPad.

[​IMG]
    12.9-inch iPad (left) with 13-inch MacBook Air (right)
    The report also states that Apple is planning to release a larger size iPhone in May 2014, using a 20nm processor manufactured by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). Reports of a next-generation iPhone featuring a larger screen have surfaced occasionally throughout the past year, while the claim of an A8 processor made by TSMC is follows a report in June stating that the company had struck a three-year deal with Apple to produce A-series chips starting in 2014.

However, a May 2014 release date for the next iPhone would be somewhat of a surprising move by Apple, considering that the most recent reports have stated that the larger-screened iPhone will debut in late 2014. A release then would be in line with the October 2011 launch of the iPhone 4s, the September 2012 launch of the iPhone 5, and the September 2013 launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c.

A report last month from The Korea Times indicated that production of a 12.9-inch Retina Display to be used in a next-generation iPad was already underway at an Apple supplier in Korea, with a target date of early 2014. The larger tablet is also said to carry an improved display nearing ultra high-definition (UHD) quality, which would be significantly bigger and contain more pixels than Apple's current 9.7-inch iPad Air.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Launching Larger iPad in October 2014, Larger iPhone in May 2014

2. osx11 macrumors 6502a

I still think this 12.9" device IS the new MacBook Air!

3. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

If i added up all the "bigger" rumors, i would have my apple TV.

4. Jsameds macrumors 68040

5. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Don't know about Jobs, but I wouldn't allow this.

6. devilbond macrumors member

devilbond

7. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

8. hrishidev macrumors regular

iPad Mini , iPad Air , iPad Pro = Fragmentation :rolleyes:

Cannibalisation of Macbook Air? :eek:

9. Serban Suspended

I think too..that will be the macbook air with 1440p display

10. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll be looking forward to a larger iPhone - can't wait but being we're still in December I'll have to chill

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Im happy with the current size of the iphone 5S. But i'd be lying if I said I wasnt really excited to see what an iphone with a bigger (wider) screen will look like. Bring it on.

13. ogun7 macrumors regular

ogun7

Until Ming Kuo reports on it, it isn't happening.

14. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

I'd Buy that! Unless there is some horrendous detail that ducks everything up

15. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

1. The sources for this rumour are wrong.
    2. Apple will make this and is 100% wrong in doing so as too many SKUs are very bad for Apple as proved in the 90's.

Those are the only two options here. And in either case someone is wrong.

16. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

May!?! darn, I just got the 5s, oh well gotta start saving up again then I assume.

17. Diesel79 macrumors member

If they don't release an iPhone with a larger screen this year I'll be jumping ship.

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It's easy to guess. I wonder why all these publications never bother to acknowledge they are wrong when their guesses are wrong.

----------

Why wait if the larger screen is so important to you ?

19. Teste macrumors 6502

I would be interested in the bigger iPad if it had true multitasking - opening two apps at the same time, side by side.

I can think of few things more ridiculous than having a very large iPad using the exact same iOS as the iPhone, though (such as seen on the folders of the iPad under iOS 7). I don't want an iPad with the Mac operating system, but iOS needs many tweaks to fit better with a big iPad.

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Yet another "bigger iPhone soon" rumor.
    Fantastic.

21. Dades macrumors member

Dades

Contract, perhaps?

Waiting for a larger screen too but not a chance of it appearing in May. And wouldn't be surprised if Apple stubbornly resist for another 24 months.

22. Diesel79 macrumors member

Because I love Apple products. I have an iPhone 5s, iPad air, iMac and a mac mini. I love the Apple ecosystem. But I really do think it's about time they release an iPhone with a larger screen.

Ideally I don't want to have to use Android just to get a larger screen. I want to use iOS on say a 4.5" screen.

23. MacHumors macrumors member

24. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

May 2014? Oh come on! Gimme one year at least you bloodsuckers!

25. prowlmedia Suspended

Why you poor chap? Do you have bad eyesight? Or Giant pockets?

Large phones are for girls with handbags or men with Size 'issues'