Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Bigger iPad/iPhone is useless to me unless there are some major functionality features added to it.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
The only way I'm buying a larger iPad is if it can be rolled up like a paper and stuffed in my back pocket!

Why??????

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
I wish Macrumors would offer a bit of editorial comment when posting items like this. Pretty sure they used to. Posting of weird rumours with no comment doesn't do much for their credibility.

I agree. This site needs a better way to categorise rumours by their credibility. As well as that, on the unrelated note, I really wish they brought down votes back, as the comments took a huge downturn ever since they removed them.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Why you poor chap? Do you have bad eyesight? Or Giant pockets?

Large phones are for girls with handbags or men with Size 'issues'
Oh yes....you are quite right.....because the only choice that matters is YOURS of course.....only YOUR choice matters. If the current iphone size fits YOUR needs then of course it is the ONLY choice. Because having more choices is bad unless they are YOUR choices right? If people don't agree with YOUR choice then you are going to belittle and make fun of them....because we all know only YOUR choice matters.

RonDMC

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
1. The sources for this rumour are wrong.
2. Apple will make this and is 100% wrong in doing so as too many SKUs are very bad for Apple as proved in the 90's.

Those are the only two options here. And in either case someone is wrong.

Really only one option...

1. You are wrong!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's going to be a disaster........

According to people on these forums. It's must be at least 50% if not 75% of iPhone users who say any size increase would be wrong, and the current size is correct, unlike larger unmanageable Android phone.

Given this fact, based upon many remarks on this forum area, sales will be much lower of any new larger model don't you think?

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I don't really see it replacing the MBA 11" until Apple port Mac OS X to ARM or completely integrates both OS lines. I could see the former happening (they've done complete architectural turnarounds before) but not the latter.

Still, interesting times... I think Apple's strict stance on what a phone/tablet should look like is holding them back in sales. I've recently switched to Android for my phone to avail of lower prices and bigger screens. The 5" screen was in no way 'unmanageable', in fact it's a breath of fresh air when surfing the web. It's only 1cm wider than the iPhone so it's easy to hold.

And now I find myself eyeing other brands for tablets due to the better availability of keyboard docks and full-fletched apps. Especially the Asus T100 looks like a great option. If the iPad Air had a decent keyboard cover or dock I would have gone for that.

I'd definitely consider it anyway but for a 13" device I would definitely need a decent keyboard dock. It's becoming too much of a productivity device at that size.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
You mean 2880P? The current 13" already has 1440P. It would have to be a substantial increase to warrant this new product.

No it doesn't.

Current MBA is 1440x900. A fair bit short of 1440p. In fact, not even 1080p.

1920x1080 = 1080p (most devices, except some Apple devices)
2560x1440 = 1440p (27" iMac)

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Why you poor chap? Do you have bad eyesight? Or Giant pockets?

Large phones are for girls with handbags or men with Size 'issues'

Or people that just like having bigger screens? :rolleyes:

The iPhone is tiny. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a 5.5" or 6" phone, but the iPhone is just too small now. I think 4.7" is perfect. Much easier to hold for a grownup. The iPhone is so small I have a hard time typing on it. The size is the one thing I love about my HTC One compared to the iPhones I've owned.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
iPad Mini , iPad Air , iPad Pro = Fragmentation :rolleyes:

Cannibalism of Macbook Air? :eek:

No. Plenty of customers for all three to avoid fragmentation.

Not sure on the MBA. Apple will never do a Surface 2. They really are two very different experiences IMO. I actually know a person who choose a MBA 11" over an iPad Air. Mainly because they were willing to pay the $500 for a Notebook, vs a Tablet. IMO, nothing will change that feeling with a 12.9 iPad and a 13" MBA. :apple:

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Why do you say that? They would presumably all be running the same OS, from the same vendor.

Display size fragmentation .. As developer , I need to provide 3 UI to give optimal experience for each display size. Well , its just a rumour.

P.S.: If they allow two apps to run simultaneously , then it won't be issue.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
New iPhone in May is ridiculous, at least let people have the 5S for a year before it becomes "out of date".

They might position it as a different category. The Galaxy Note and Galaxy S series phones are released about six months apart from each other.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Display size fragmentation .. As developer , I need to provide 3 UI to give optimal experience for each display size.

But the mini and Air have the same resolution specifically so that you don't need to do that. It's possible the larger iPad Pro would have a higher resolution, in which case that would mean there would need to be customization, though.

RaelFacio

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
I would prefer a smaller iPhone with a 3 x 3 icon layout (About 3" to 3-1/8" diagonal screen.) vs the current 4 x 5 and the prior 4 x 4.

Typing in that format probably would best be done in landscape mode.

GadgetDon

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2002
The timelines are all wrong.

iOS allows developers to create apps that automatically grow as screen size increases, but almost nobody does that. Instead, they do layouts based on specific screen sizes: iPhone portrait, iPhone landscape, iPad portrait, iPad landscape. If large iPhones are coming, Apple will be dropping serious hints at WWDC "You know, you should turn on that autogrow feature, have it grow for different sized screens".

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Would love to hear some reasons why they would make a larger screen iPad.

Would make a great productive tool for the areas in which something like that would be useful. Arts, design, medical sciences, for example; all those could really use a bigger iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.