Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports on information from a source claiming that Apple is looking to acquire significant quantities of LED camera flash components, sparking speculation that the company is planning to add flash capabilities to its camera on the iPhone, and possibly the iPod touch should it also gain a camera.
People familiar with Apple's initiative claim the electronics maker is seeking allotments of LED camera flash components in the tens of millions for delivery during the 2010 calendar year, meaning future iPhones -- and possibly the iPod touch -- are the most likely recipients of those parts, due to their sales volume. Those same people say that Philips' Lumileds Lighting sector is believed to be the front-runner for Apple's business and may have already secured the design win.
Despite the generally-decent image quality of Apple's existing 3.2-megapixel camera in the iPhone 3GS, increasing numbers of smartphones, including the Motorola Droid and Google Nexus One, have been moving to 5-megapixel camera sensors with LED flash to assist in low-light situations.

Apple has reportedly secured orders with current camera sensor supplier OmniVision Technologies for large quantities of 5-megapixel camera sensors, likely destined for the next-generation iPhone. Apple had been planning to add a camera to the iPod touch when it was revised last September, but apparently scrapped the change relatively late in the design process, possibly due to challenges presented by the device's thin profile. Many still expect Apple to add a camera to the iPod touch in the future, although it is unknown how the company will deal with the design challenges.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Looking to Purchase LED Camera Flash Components

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Can someone show me clear proof that 5 megapix + LED flash makes a significantly better photograph than 3.2 on the iPhone 3GS?

Trexznl

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
The Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Ik really looking forward to the new iPhone! Gimme 5mpx cam with flash and i'm sold!

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
A revolutionary year for Apple and...

This year looks like it's gonna be a revolutionary one! What do
you guys think?!

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
The next gen iPhone is looking better and better each day. Excited to upgrade my 3G this summer.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
Can someone show me clear proof that 5 megapix + LED flash makes a significantly better photograph than 3.2 on the iPhone 3GS?

I'm not a photographer, so don't know if there is a significant difference (I suspect there isn't), but this reminds of the megapixel wars that raged on between camera makers the last few years. A tiny lens with 5, 8 or 10 mp isn't going to produce a quality pic....then again it's a cell phone, so maybe that's not the idea.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003

Seriously? wow....

Back to reality: I'm really excited by this news! We are using our iPhones more and more for snap shots and this would definitely put the nail in the coffin of our Fuji 5MP that is about 5 years old.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Seriously? wow....

Back to reality: I'm really excited by this news! We are using our iPhones more and more for snap shots and this would definitely put the nail in the coffin of our Fuji 5MP that is about 5 years old.

Yes seriously. You have both pieces of equipment? Go take shots and prove it.

You're talking to an actual photographer here so watch the B.S. when you respond.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Seriously? wow....

flash on a camera phone is rubbish.

But chalk KindredMAC up as one for the megapixel myth.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Didn't expect that move from Apple. Unless they will have some super duper battery in next iphone :D

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I think we all need to remember... it's a phone... it's an iPod... not a camera. Sure better is great, but I would never expect great quality from any phone. If I wanted that, make my camera into a cell phone! LOL!

I think this is going to be a very interesting year for Apple fans. Competition is heating up and Apple will respond with some great upgrades and new products I'm sure!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Try taking a picture of someone in a dark nightclub with your 3GS.

With a flash, there'll actually be a picture.

Phazer

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I'm I the only one that doesn't really care about the camera? I mean, it's great that it's getting a better one! But I hardly ever take pics with my 3GS... Maybe that's just me. :confused:

Anyway, it's great that Apple are giving us better camera's and flash! My friend will love the flash! He's been moaning about "no flash" since the first one lol! Now he can shut up!! :p

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
AI ran their article with this image - not sure how credible it is. Luxeon is a household name in LED tech though

flash-compare-100108.gif

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Megapixels are often pure marketing gimmickry like the old MHz wars. IN fact, without great optics to back up those megapixels, a higher-MP sensor can actually make a WORSE picture because it’s more sensitive to noise: even with the 5MP image is scaled down. (Many examples are online—the difference is often striking.) I’m skeptical that cell phone is going to have optics to beat many 5MP full-size cameras. In which case, not only are you getting worse pictures, but your pictures are burning up extra storage space for all time!

That said, IF the optics in a cell phone can be good enough to not have 5MP noise problems, then I’d gladly have that feature, for the sake of cropping in if nothing else. Let’s hope Apple cares about noise more than me-too bullet points, and gives good-quality 5MP or none at all. Until we know what they release, all we can do is look at the noise problems with other 5MP+ cameras.

As for flash... well, taking a close-up in a dark room is a no brainer :) I wouldn’t use it much (and I don’t on my “real” camera either) but I WOULD like to have the option, it it didn’t contribute to a bulkier iPhone.

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
One advantage of LED flash over xenon is that it can be used as a flashlight.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

If it's just more memory and flash then count me out. My 3GS is just fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.