Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Reportedly Looking to Push Monthly iPad Production to 3 Million

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to a new research note from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty, Apple's manufacturing partners are now pushing out two million iPads per month, with Apple urging them to boost production to three million per month for the fourth quarter of this year.
Says Huberty, "Apple recently indicated to its suppliers a desire to move to 3 million per month in C4Q10. This implies a run rate of 36 million in CY11, close to the current 40 million supply chain forecast."
Huberty's comments suggest that the 2-million production rate is a new milestone, although a report from early July claimed that Apple was planning for about 2.3 million units that month. A few weeks earlier than that, Apple was claimed to have been shooting for production rates of 2.5 million per month by the end of the year, and today's report suggests that Apple has continued to increase its targets in order to meet strong demand for the tablet device.

Apple's increased iPad production has apparently finally helped the company to close the supply-demand gap, with shipping date estimates for orders placed through its online store dropping rapidly over the last several weeks before reaching the minimum "within 24 hours" level just last weekend.

The rapid decrease of shipping estimates had led to questions about whether increased production or sagging demand was driving the supply-demand ratio into balance, but it appears that Apple's continued increases in production are at least a major factor in achieving equilibrium.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Looking to Push Monthly iPad Production to 3 Million

ouimetnick

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
If they make that much, then quality control has to be non existent. And poor Foxconn employees... They have to make our **** (iPads) and the iPad will be replaced with the 2nd gen soon enough. All the fanboys will sell their old one and put MORE strain on the foxconn employees.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
There are 86400 seconds in one day, and assuming a 30 day month, that's 2,592,000 seconds.

That means new iPads are entering this world at a rate of approximately one per second!

Here come a few more now!

Comment

Jacquear

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Australia
Poor Foxconn employees..

Eh it's not Apple killing them, It's the horrible work conditions they have to work in while China just ignore's them.
Is sad though but every company in China's the same we only hear about the ones Apple uses because there sky rocketing up and above and the media looks for anything to make them look/sound evil,
like the iPhone 4 dropping reception really small % of them had/have the bug or glitch etc but i got mine on release never had a problem or lost signal it's just new there for it has to be big news anyway it can be.
Man i hate the media lol

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If they make that much, then quality control has to be non existent. And poor Foxconn employees... They have to make our **** (iPads) and the iPad will be replaced with the 2nd gen soon enough. All the fanboys will sell their old one and put MORE strain on the foxconn employees.

FUD FAIL. Ever heard of hiring more employees / expanding plants?

supports my prediction...

Verizon iPad in January

... no Verizon iPhone in January - :(

Keep guessing, eventually you might get something right. Or not.

Comment

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Now that iOS is coming to the iPad, I'm rather enticed. I'll wait for the 2nd generation, where it'll hopefully serve as a standalone device, separate from a computer.

Comment

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK

What is your gibberish about?
They had simply hired more people there isn't any more strain.

Beside if you really want to talk about work conditions of employee in China go complain to the government.

Most of companies have production in Asia, go complaint to them too.

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
While this is seemingly good news, it should be pointed out that Katy Huberty is a bloody idiot. Her track record in predicting Apple is downright miserable.

Comment

doboy

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
ouimetnick said:

Are you serious? They make way more iPhone 4 without quality issues.

Comment

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Now that iOS is coming to the iPad, I'm rather enticed. I'll wait for the 2nd generation, where it'll hopefully serve as a standalone device, separate from a computer.

Well ... it's been iOS from the beginning (you could argue it was the first device with iOS, really). But I get what you mean. I think Apple really does need a more iTunes-in-the-cloud though, and hopefully you're right on the no computer required bit.

Did anyone else notice in the event video that Steve Jobs said 4.2 would bring the new HDR photo feature to the iPad? Maybe it was just a slip-up, but maybe not ...

Comment

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Well ... it's been iOS from the beginning (you could argue it was the first device with iOS, really). But I get what you mean. I think Apple really does need a more iTunes-in-the-cloud though, and hopefully you're right on the no computer required bit.

Did anyone else notice in the event video that Steve Jobs said 4.2 would bring the new HDR photo feature to the iPad? Maybe it was just a slip-up, but maybe not ...

Slip up, maybe. Hint, more likely. I'm pretty sure the next iPad will have a camera, at least a front facing camera. I can see it all now; Apple will update the iPad to 128GB, followed by the iPhone to 64GB, then the iPod to 128GB. If you ask me, Apple's milking it. The iPod's storage should have been updated this time round.

As for the camera, I'm guessing they'll implement a 3mp into the back of the iPad, and hopefully for the Touch next time. I would've been a candidate for purchasing a Touch, but there's no way I'm having a less than 1mp camera on the back; complete utter waste.

Woah, I blatantly digressed...

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Pfft, everyone who wants one of these things already has one. Amiright guys? ;)

Eidorian said:
I wonder what's with the popularity.

Appealing products at reasonable price points tend to sell.

Comment

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
The more units they get out the door before a worthy competitor arrives the better. Apple is still taking the market and most consumers are going to be content with it for a long time no matter what hits the market after their purchase. Which is not usually the case with the visitors of this forum.

Comment

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Man, this Foxcon thing kills me (pun intended) :) . The suicide rate at the Foxcon plant is LESS that the statistical average in the Chinese population. Conditions and jobs in the plant are good enough that LESS people want to kill themselves there than in the rest of China.

Comment

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
Poor Foxconn employees..

No, poor Foxconn employees in the new plants out in the countryside. The Shanghai based workers are the highest paid for a Chinese factory worker.

Still paid a pittance, but we continue to buy, so they work. Blame ourselves when we look in the mirror.

On the otherhand looking foward to a $299 iPad when the rural factories are online. :apple:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.