Apple Reportedly Met With Potential Suppliers of Augmented Reality Glasses at CES 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple representatives met with suppliers who make the type of parts required to power augmented reality glasses at CES this week, according to Bloomberg News.
    The report doesn't provide any additional details about the meetings, or what was discussed, but it's yet more anecdotal evidence that so-called "Apple Glasses" may one day go from rumor to reality.

Bloomberg News has previously reported that Apple is working on an augmented reality headset that could launch by 2020. An early version is said to have a dedicated display, a built-in processor, and a custom operating system dubbed "rOS" for "reality operating system," but many prototypes are thought to exist.

The early November report said Apple hasn't finalized how users will control the headset and launch apps, but it is supposedly investigating touchscreens, Siri voice activation, and head gestures, likely among other ideas.
    At the time, Apple software engineers were said to be using HTC Vive headsets for internal testing purposes, while working on a device similar to an Oculus Gear VR headset that uses an iPhone's display and other hardware.

An augmented reality headset is one of several projects that a team of Apple software engineers are supposedly working on under the umbrella code name of "T288" at the company's offices in Cupertino and Sunnyvale. The same team reportedly worked on Apple's ARKit platform for iPhone and iPad.

Apple CEO Tim Cook, despite repeatedly expressing a profound interest in augmented reality, recently alluded to any headset being at least a few years away during an interview with The Independent.
    Apple's acquisitions of augmented reality headset maker Vrvana and eye-tracking company SensoMotoric Instruments could certainly help it build a headset, but we likely still have a few more years to wait until we see any finalized product, and there's still a possibility the project is canceled at some point.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Met With Potential Suppliers of Augmented Reality Glasses at CES 2018

2. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

With Apple's budget, I expect AR contacts. Call it the iSee or something.

3. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

Main feature? Animoji's. Turn others into smiling turds as they walk by! /s

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

Apple breeding the next generation of glassholes

5. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Apple is seriously trying to make AR a thing. It's not a thing. I'm not sure it will ever be a thing. Same with VR.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I’d totally pay for glasses that turned my coworkers into poopy-heads LOL.

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So Apple along with other tech companies met with suppliers at CES. Not surprising.

8. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

AR has numerous real-world uses. VR doesn’t. Which is why VR will go nowhere and AR will become popular.

BTW, it’s not just Apple. Google is also heavily promoting AR. They’re just way behind Apple at this point.

9. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

This made me laugh lol.

10. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

I really want a pair of AgR glasses. I can look at an iMac Pro, see a mMac Pro and not feel so angry
    all. the. time.

11. Stella, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

Stella macrumors 604

Stella

VR has many real world uses too. Not limited to, gaming, medical, many types of training.

AR and VR are two separate things. Not sure why people bring VR into a conversation about AR.

Both are very immature, particularly AR, with plenty of potential and innovation to come.

12. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

13. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

14. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

It's funny to think Apple or any big player would wait for CES to do this. If they're interested in a tech, they're going to meet with who they need to when they want to. They're not sitting around waiting for CES to come around once a year to do so.

15. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Why is that? Nothing interests you? I’m curious.

16. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

If it has numerous real world uses, Apple should try to get them to the forefront. Everything debuted thus far has been less than spectacular. Heck, I'd even settle for something not yawn inducing. Everyone has differing opinions, but I put AR and VR in the same category with 3D TV and Curved TV... things quickly forgotten by the vast majority of the public. Saying AR is going to be the future won't make it so. Compelling products and services might. To date, ain't nuttin' compelling about AR. Imo, of course.

17. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Weather AR makes any significant gains for consumers is really anyones guess but AR/mixed reality will be huge in the commercial/industrial space.

18. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I like my iPhone X, but I strongly feel the tech industry had been stagnant as of late. Just my opinion.

Seems to me like companies are throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Maybe this is just a low point?

19. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

*Whether*:)
    I don't disagree with that assessment. AR/mixed reality is already making significant inroads in the commercial/industrial space. The stuff that MS is doing is pretty cool. That (commercial/industrial) hasn't traditionally been the focus of Apple's intentions and it doesn't seem to be the focus now. I could be wrong, but it seems to me Apple is focusing on the consumer market.

20. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

I'm guessing Apple Specs will have similar appeal to the general public along the lines of the Apple Pencil. Genuinely curious about its potential for productivity uses.

21. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I'm wondering if Tim has perhaps nothing else lined up in the way of disruptive, industry-changing technologies, other than the rumored autonomous driving tech that apparently is also still several years away.

He's done a great job so far building on past successes, but in the absence of truly innovative disruptive new tech, those unprecedented market highs Apple currently enjoys will eventually dry up and he knows it, which leaves me pondering whether Tim is grasping at straws with the whole AR/VR thing. I'll happily be proven wrong on this one.

22. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Agree with you on VR, outside of some gaming outliers.

AR, however, has a huge future with loads of interesting applications. And that's why Apple is investing a ton of money in that area.

23. Rlittle89 macrumors member

Rlittle89

People have called me crazy in various forums for saying the same thing. Maybe I'll be eating my words some day, but I still contest that VR / AR won't fully become fully mainstream until they're not some clunky piece of hardware you strap to your face. Google is pretty on-par with Apple in R&D spend and look how well Google Glass turned out....WHAT? People who don't wear glasses, don't want to wear glasses all the time?! I thought nothing was cooler than having to wear glasses?!

24. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

See, people keep saying this. Honestly, it sounds like people just parroting back what Apple has said. I'm not accusing you of doing that, I'm just saying in general. No one ever points to anything specific and says "This! This is an interesting application." It's always spoken about in the abstract. To date, I've seen nothing beyond the abstract to convince me AR has a future any brighter than VR. Perhaps you have.

25. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

Except VR requires a ridiculous amount of processing power to do properly (esp if you want to minimize vertigo). This is why VR on mobile is an utter joke.

This ties you to a location and limits your mobility (due to needing to be beside the hardware doing the heavy lifting). And even then some people still suffer various issues when wearing VR goggles (just like some people can’t watch 3D movies for an extended period of time).

AR is only immature because it’s fairly new. VR had been around for 25+ years and it STILL hasn’t really taken off (outside of niche markets).