Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just stop with the huge yearly updates. Just add features when there ready. Maybe announce a year long roadmap of features, but slowly add them over a year, instead of trying to rush everything for September. Also, put macOS back on a 18 to 30 month upgrade cycle

Without those huge yearly updates.. There won’t be any WWDC to allow not only developers, but non-developers upcomimg features. Apple enjoys the spectacle of it all... and so do we.

And they don‘t rush.. sometimes Apple withhold features until they are ready. For example, the Deep Fusion for the iPhone 11 Pro.. it was released in 13.2 firmware. We are humans.. we make errors, I‘m all for these minor updates if it helps in the long run.

jorgefgr

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
And macOS, I beg! Ever since iTunes doesn’t exist, my every sync between my Mac and my iPhone sees all the pics deleted first from the phone only to be re-transferred over the course of two hours. Not to mention that there’s no indication on what part of the sync process the devices are. With iTunes something like this wouldn’t take more than a few seconds!!!

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Adding new user-facing features to every major release of iOS isn't some holy rule. I am pretty sure if Apple just focused on just improving the reliability of the next 2 major releases then you would have much less complaints. But we know they will more than likely never do that because "features" are sexy.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Without those huge yearly updates.. There won’t be any WWDC to allow not only developers, but non-developers upcomimg features. Apple enjoys the spectacle of it all... and so do we.

That's not true. Snow leopard for example didn't have much user-facing features but included really important technologies that were highlighted at WWDC i.e Grand Central Dispatch. Developers don't need every release to contain new user-facing features.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I swear, Mac Rumors could have just pulled their old article from the iOS 11 cycle that reported on the development changes to be made for iOS 12 and ran find & replace on it.

So iOS 14 will be a snoozefest and come iOS 15, maybe, maaaaaybe we'll get something 'revolutionary' like being able to place our icons wherever we want.

That being said, aside from only a select few betas, iOS 13 has been really good to me.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
I know Apple isn't just a huge multibillion dollar company it's run by humans just like you and me. With that said I can't believe they dug this hole for themselves again.

And I know family members who don't follow tech as closely as me saying they phones are regularly 'glitching'. with iOS 13

tubomac

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2013
Japan
My podcast app freeze all the time when I start it in my iPhone X. That's really odd. I've seen buggy releases but never in a way that I can get a problem every time I want to systematically show it to someone.

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
After my experience with iOS 13 (both iPad and iPhone; specifically mail) I will never again upgrade until I am absolutely convinced the critical features work. I'm surprised MacRumors haven't run a specific article on the ongoing issues with Mail as Apple don't seem to care given it's still broken (exchange/notifications/background downloading). I suggested on Apple's forums that people tweet Tim Cook to make him aware of the issues but they removed the post...

I do love some of the comments from the Apple fanboys on MacRumors; on the mail thread some were suggesting that mail is a "consumer" app and nobody in business should be using it anyway.....they should tell that to Apple who specifically market iPhones/iPad to large corporations.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Apple, as a company, has a horrible recent history with both software and hardware. Catalina is a mess. iOS 13 is a mess despite EIGHT releases to fix stuff... hardware-wise, the Macs have been atrocious... the keyboard issues, the T2 fiasco, the Touch Bar is a nightmare, the 'trash can' Mac was a horrible product. They've been obsessed with thinness and lightness to the point of shaving fractions of millimeters and ounces off of their MacBook line to the detriment of usability. It was Ive's obsession with thinness that brought us the butterfly keyboard. They continue to remove ports in favor of trying to upsell iCloud storage... and while you're at it, enough with the soldered RAM and SSDs.

And let's not forget the annual software release schedule whether the OS is ready or not. It always takes multiple "bug fix" releases to make a lot of it even functional.

All I can say about this news is "about freaking time". I miss the "it just works" thing. Wish it was so.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Imagine how crazy the software team must be doing?! If we are seeing bugs, the behind the scenes is probably a nightmare.

Reactions: pbush25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.