Apple Reportedly Paid $21 Million for Rights to Swiss Railways Clock Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 11, 2012.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

For those who are enraged that this $21M was instead of some other spending... it wasn’t. Whatever you wanted Apple to spend money on, they still can.

For those who think Apple had to pay an unfair amount... they screwed up blatantly. They licensed it AFTER they used it. They would have had a lot more negotiating power—as well as the option to just use some other design--if they hadn’t already violated the copyright. Might have been just one or two people’s honest mistake, rather than Apple management on a mission to steal, but the result was the same.

All non-digital clocks are skeuomorphic. I like this one... but I’m glad it’s not MY $12M :)

2. emaja macrumors 68000

There would be a hefty tax deduction I am sure, plus an incalculable amount of goodwill.

3. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

And I wonder how much lawyers on both sides made out of this...

4. Boghog macrumors member

Nice :)
    But it doesn't work that way. Swiss rail won't lower their prices and neither will Apple raise theirs. Every company will always ask the highest price for their product they think they can get away with. So these 21 million come out of the shareholders' pockets, not the customers'.

5. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Yes.. we are paying for that, no wonder Apple is getting greedy with customer service.

Last year the battery of my MBP explode and they gave me a replacement for free even the recall was over. This last week the same battery explode again and I had to pay $100 even the replacement was supposed to be better quality than the original.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah...

Attached Files:

7. coolfactor macrumors 601

Let's hope this penalty will bring Apple back on track. As of today, the Clock apps on iOS are different between iPhone and iPad. That's a lame oversight and should not have happened.

----------

Not all.

And $21 million.

8. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Good thing they paid. Whose idea was it to rip off a clock design for iOS anyway? But I would have been fine with just having a different clock design.

9. devinher macrumors newbie

No they won't. Pricing is decided by supply and demand. Shareholders are the ones that lose when companies waste money, not that Apple will miss this much cash.

I find it kind of hard to believe that they paid this much anyway. Maybe it includes some kind of advertising for Apple or they just misplaced the decimal.

10. coolfactor macrumors 601

Greedy with customer service? Not sure those words belong together.

So it sounds like you were hoping to get a _better_ battery for free? When I've purchased replacement batteries, they've typically been more than $100, so you probably got yours at a discount. Why are you complaining?

But to take a couple of steps back... why are your batteries exploding? Are you letting them get too hot?

11. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Wow, $21 million for a clock. I'm assuming batteries are extra?

12. emaja macrumors 68000

Not arguing, but I'd like to see one that isn't. I can't think of one.

13. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

If you did that, you would have saved Apple $21M because that design would not be a direct ripoff of a Swiss watch design.

14. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

"the licensing agreement may not provide any compensation to watchmaker Mondaine..."

And why would it? They're just another licensee of the design.

15. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Not necessarily. You have to factor in other costs if Apple had fought the case. Remember, if Apple infringed, the plaintiff was entitled to compensation. Just think how many devices that clock appears. Attorney fees and other expenses must also be considered. Sometimes, it is better to settle than fight.

16. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Yeah, exactly. Apple shows this whenever they charge way more for extra RAM than what the parts cost and when they make more profit off of iPads than competitors (who make around <$0 profit) do.

17. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

18. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Just that there's no apple.ch to put it on... :rolleyes:

19. Tech198 macrumors G5

20. Tor Eckman macrumors regular

Tor Eckman

21. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Most likely Steve's after lurking around here for a while during therapy... :rolleyes:

22. mikenzb macrumors newbie

Atleast They helped the Sandy Victims, Its better then nothing.

23. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

A protracted lawsuit would have been so much cheaper.

24. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

LOL this is so stupid.. Apple cant make their own iconic Clock ICON that's absurd... Hell hire me I will make you one for a mere $1000.00 (Still ripping you off but hey it's not 21 million ripoff)

25. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

per

What does this break down to per iOS6 iPad?