Apple Reportedly Paid $21 Million for Rights to Swiss Railways Clock Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 11, 2012.

1. brewno macrumors 6502

brewno

Now that they paid that much I wanna see it on my iPhone as well, not only on my iPad. :)

2. KPOM macrumors G5

My guess is that it is based on an estimate of the number of devices sold that use that design. Since Apple sells a lot of iPads, the royalties are higher.

3. Omacc macrumors member

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd be willing to bet, it was 21m to the railroad and an agreement to remove it from iOS 7. Which is why Mondaine is "Okay" with the terms. He gets TONS of publicity, and then goes right back to being the sole provider of the clock face.

5. ValO macrumors 68000

This is just PR.
    Apple has gotten a lot of negative response and news about patent lawsuits.
    They want to show everyone that they will pay if they infringe on patents, instead of going to court.

Unlike samsung, etc.

6. dazed macrumors 6502a

Should have given that money to charity and just used the old clock.

7. tekno macrumors 6502a

So true. Because that's how Apple have got so big. In fact, from now on, Apple should give to charity all the money they would otherwise spend on R&D.

8. mertyz macrumors regular

mertyz

Showing people that they respect to patents is more valuable than $21 million for Apple in this case.

Once again, a nice move from Apple.

9. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Yet they could only donate 2.5mil to the red cross

10. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Apple paid $21 million cause they got caught red handed, not because of any styling.

11. driceman macrumors 6502

driceman

12. natej2010 macrumors newbie

honestly not that expensive

Apple has sold approximately 84 million ipads thats literally $00.25 an ipad which isn't all that expensive.

13. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Well... It's not like they can't spare any cash

14. jimmyb5374 macrumors member

Or maybe they should give to charity all the money they plan to pee up the wall in the next 12 months on licensing rip offs of other peoples ideas ?

(see its not just a samsung thing die-hard apple fans) !!!!!

15. Gunny011 macrumors regular

Here's me thinking my Omega watch was expensive..

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

The worst part is that the clock doesn't even work.

17. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

It's beyond stupid to pay 21 million for that, especially when the clock app that exists on the phone is perfectly fine in terms of its look.

18. medazinol macrumors regular

medazinol

$21 million for a clock design....

I can't even fathom that. The money that companies are throwing around these days for crazy things boggles the mind.

19. Tech198 macrumors G5

LoL... true.. ... (Bloody Apple). But then Apple expects all their customers to donate anyway, so it would make up the difference. (Hopefully).

Is this the Apple way is it? I thought thats what corts are for. Tough guys huh?

20. Boghog macrumors member

That's right. And to those who keep comparing these $21M to the $2.5M they gave for Sandy: Apple is answerable to their shareholders. When they give $2.1M for a good cause they can justify it as a worthwhile PR expense. If they give much more, shareholders will not accept it that easily.
    The $21M for the clock were paid because they HAD TO because they had already infringed on the design. It was too late to just change it.

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

So if I stole your car, stopped driving it and bought another one, you'd be OK with that?

Nothing they did at this point would have mitigated Swiss Railways' claim against them - their options were paying up or going to court. They took the cheapest option.

22. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

US$21 million? That's essentially "seat cushion found" change for a company like Apple with over US$100 BILLION in cash reserves!

23. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Yep, Yet they burn it on foolish things...

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

"What's so special about the original iPhone? It's just a standard fare smartphone with a big screen and a bunch of icons, I don't get it."

Sure, NOW the clock face is generic, but it's from 1944. Look at all other clock faces from the 1940's and you'll know why this one is an exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art. It has influenced every other clock face you've seen. Apple made the mistake of ripping the original.