Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to launch two new iPhone SE models over the next two years, according to TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone-SE-Cosmopolitan-Clean.png

In a note to investors seen by MacRumors, Kuo explained that Apple has two new iPhone SE models planned for 2022 and 2023 respectively. The 2022 iPhone SE will reportedly launch in the first half of the year and feature 3GB of memory, according to Kuo, while the 2023 iPhone SE will feature more significant changes, including a larger display and 4GB of memory.
We expect Apple to release a new iPhone SE in 2023 with a larger display than the 1H22 SE's 4.7-inch and 4GB of memory support (vs. 3GB in the 1H22 SE). We predict that Luxshare-ICT will be the NPI supplier for the 2023 iPhone SE.

Kuo's predictions broadly line up with the plethora of existing rumors around the next-generation iPhone SE models. Display analyst Ross Young previously said that Apple is working on a new 4.7-inch iPhone SE with 5G connectivity for launch in 2022, followed by a successor iPhone SE model with a 5.7-inch to 6.1-inch LCD display in 2024. Young originally said that the larger iPhone SE model was scheduled for 2023 but was pushed back to 2024, however Kuo today says he believes that it is still on the cards for 2023.

Other rumors have suggested that this larger iPhone SE model will feature an iPhone XR-like design, potentially with a hole-punch front-facing camera, and be Apple's final iPhone with an LCD display. The 2022 iPhone SE, on the other hand, is expected to retain the design and 4.7-inch display of the current model and add 5G connectivity, but it is not clear if it will contain either the A14 or A15 chip.

TrendForce believes that the next-generation 4.7-inch iPhone SE will launch in the first quarter of 2022.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch New iPhone SE Models in 2022 and 2023

Last edited:

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
The Ross Young rumours was interesting at the time because his suggestion of 5.7" Screen hit "exactly" the same size as the current iPhone SE but with thin bezels. Which was the original size of what I expected for iPhone Mini. Instead Apple went even further down to 5.4".

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
If an iPhone SE in 2023 could mean using the mini design, that means the flagship iPhone from 2022/2023 would no longer have the notched screen and the design of the 12/13

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
It will not only be apples final LCD display but also many of us if they don’t intend to fix heavily PWM issues with their OLED screens. At the end of the day after using both tech i still prefer typing and browsing on the brighter and sharper LCD….. oled is better for videos content.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Makes much more sense if it was SE Mini and "SE".
Yeah I almost went for that but remembered the fairly recent ‘Plus’ rumours.

I can’t really see Apple offering a 3-size lineup for the SE (too messy when current and previous generations of main lineups exist too), so I wondered if they’d go for small and large on the SE (as the line is a compromise to begin with…).

But you’re right SE and SE mini is more likely if calibrating on the current offerings.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
They’d better be repurposing the mini form-factor for these new SEs.

Make it a two-variant model, if you have to: SE mini and SE max?
"...while the 2023 ‌iPhone SE‌ will feature more significant changes, including a larger display and 4GB of memory."

It looks like Apple has decided that not enough people like smaller phones. Also, I wouldn't want an "SE" mini, since the SE usually has last-gen specs. What I love about the 13 mini is that I get all the latest tech, just in a smaller form factor.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I hope it's about 5.7 inch screen assuming its an all-screen design like the X, I know some ppl who prefer a smaller phone (ie the older crowd) and I myself like the Mini but still think it could be a hair bigger but not as big as the regular 12/13. And TOUCH ID thank you.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
The 7+ was Apple's first-ever High-Performance iPhone !

If Apple offered an updated one with an A15, 6 GB of DRAM, a just the Back Wide from the 13 Pro Max, in an updated, smaller chassis, still keeping the 5.5" 1080p LCD, they could have offered it for what ?, I'd say, $599 USD, & sold a ton, & most-importantly, triggered a surge in iPhone Unit Sales !

The biggest problem I have with Tim Cook & his team is that they think they always know better, but they really don't.

Case in point, supporting P3 D65, but NOT going 10-bit color depth at the same time !

Another one, still NO BGR10A2 capture support ! Go Figure !

If Apple had had credible & viable competition the past five OR so years, they would be trading @ 1/3 they are today !

Apple is easily OUT-Engineered !

And proof of that will become obvious to the General Public this month OR next !

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
If Apple had had credible & viable competition the past five OR so years, they would be trading @ 1/3 they are today !

These two statements seem contradictory; if the latter were true, it would suggest you’d see a lot of strong competition, but you’re implying there isn’t any with the former.

And proof of that will become obvious to the General Public this month OR next !

This is the second such proclamation I’ve seen you post recently – what are you hinting at?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
5G in the body of a 4.7 inch ‘iPhone 8’?

The battery life is surely only going to be 30 mins!? ?

Let’s hope for at least a ‘iPhone 8 Plus’.

Reactions: Rafaelos

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

meanwhile back on planet earth, Apple has just introduced some of the most impressive machines that are currently available in the form of the new MacBook series, the iPhone 13 series is selling faster than it can be produced, The iPad and Apple Watch are so far ahead of competition it’s not even funny, and… well…
I don’t think that customers are going to be noticing anything in the next couple of months different about Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.