Apple Reportedly Plans to Cut Price of iPhone XR in Japan Due to Poor Sales and Restart iPhone X Production

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to discount the price of iPhone XR models in Japan by offering subsidies to Japanese carriers, according to a new report out this morning.

The Wall Street Journal said the price decreases on the $750 iPhone models could come as early as next week, citing sources familiar with Apple's sales strategy in the region.

[​IMG]
    The decision comes in the wake of a WSJ report earlier this week that claimed Apple has slashed production orders for its latest iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR models due to lower-than-expected demand.

Part of the problem for Apple is that the iPhone 8 is apparently still hugely popular in Japan because of its affordability, given that it's cheaper than the XR and was still available when Apple launched the XS and XS Max.

According to WSJ's sources, Apple suppliers have also resumed making the iPhone X, the 2017 model that Apple no longer sells at its own stores. If Apple plans to sell the older model in Japan, it wouldn't be the first time the company has produced previously discontinued models for regional markets where it sees sufficient demand for cheaper devices. The strategy also allows Apple to benefit from lower-cost components and depreciated production line machinery.

However, supply chain sources who spoke to WSJ claim the resumption of iPhone X production is partly due to Apple's need to use OLED panels ordered from Samsung - panels that were previously earmarked for use in the iPhone XS and XS Max devices that have since been hit by swingeing production cuts.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Plans to Cut Price of iPhone XR in Japan Due to Poor Sales and Restart iPhone X Production

2. ondert macrumors regular

ondert

looks like shareholders are angry maybe with Tim Cook's greed, huh?

3. Agit21 macrumors regular

Better cut those bezels in half Apple. They look hideous!

4. TComm macrumors member

5. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

It’s simple economics: wages are stagnant, inflation is rising so fewer people can justify spending a months mortgage payment on a device or £60-£80 a month for a contract. If the price of iPhones keep going up, sales will go down. Simple.

6. levitynyc, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018

levitynyc macrumors 65816

Things they need to cut the price of everywhere:

iPhone XS
    iPhone XS Max
    iPhone XR
    iMac
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook
    MacBook Air
    Mac Mini
    iPad Pro
    iPad Air
    iPad
    AirPods
    Apple Watch
    Memory Upgrades
    Apple Pencil

EDIT: Forgot about the Apple HomePod.

What did I miss?

7. Bokito macrumors regular

It more and more looks like Apple overplayed it's hand with this year's high-priced products.

The iPhone XS and XR are not worth the upgrade for many over an iPhone 7 or 8 as the only things that are improved are the camera and the screen (for an almost 50% premium!). Even on an iPhone 7 you won't max out the processor or the GPU and I still think Touch ID is worth way more than face ID.

Here in the Netherlands you'll be registered for having an outstanding loan if you buy a subsidized phone, making iPhones way less attractive for people who want to buy a house as the registration will cut thousands of euros from your maximum mortgage and will increase your rent. Just putting down € 1500 at once for a phone is not something a person does every day.

8. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

You can't sell a phone with the XR specs at such a high price point and expect huge sales especially when the competition offers the same or better for less money. iOS is not enough to keep people loyal to Apple.

9. novakk86 macrumors member

novakk86

Dongels?

10. XtremeArtists macrumors member

XtremeArtists

The camera and screen are two of the most important things to most of my friends who are not tech savy.

11. nfl46 macrumors 604

Take $100 off of the XR, XS and Max while they’re at it.

$649 starting price for the XR is reasonable.

12. run1976 macrumors member

The Apple Watch is not too expensive imho. Garmin sells sport watches for 800$. So if Apple can increase functionality via software it is almost a steal.

13. Imory macrumors 6502a

I have a hard time believing this to be true, but I'd welcome it.

14. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Time to cut 15% in europe to compensate for 25% VAT. Without that its not reasonable to splash over 1000USD on XR. Actually its crazy when you compared to top of the line Android phones.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple is reaping what they have sown. I think they will be facing this issue worldwide to some degree. The prices are too high to justify the phones, financing (or leasing) masked the high cost to some degree but the Xs and Xs Max are so expensive, its a lot even if you finance them over two years.

16. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Tim Cook's salary.

17. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

Yet it seems that this year's lower priced product is the one in the firing line.

I don't agree about Face ID vs Touch ID, and I think the upgrades over my 7+ are compelling, but they were not compelling enough for me last year to get the X or this year to get a XS or XR. The expenditure is in no relation to the gain for me. So, I'll happily use my 7+ for another year, and see what next year brings :)

Those crazy Dutch... Here, the banks are far more reckless and will lend people money they will never in a lifetime be able to repay.

18. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

read it loud and clear Apple. Your 'budget' phone needs to have a budget price. Especially in this climate and especially in the far east where Apple isn't a dominating phone brand. Lower the cost already. This XR Budget price xtra ridiculous.

19. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Apple have bitten the hands that feed them with some outrageous price increases in recent years. Good.

20. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

The XR is overpriced at $700+USD. IMHO, the start cost should start at $500USD. With regards to the other iPhones, most people do not think it's worth it to upgrade every year when improvements are marginal. The smartphone industry has matured and the exponential leaps aren't there at this time. The next big thing for smartphones may be 5G and that's likely 3-5 years off for the iPhone.

21. MacWorld78 macrumors 6502

MacWorld78

The mobile phone should cost no more then £500 +/-, anything over £1k that's pretty extreme "profit" for the high volume sales.

Living in Japan is really expensive already.

22. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Wando64

Two wrongs don't make a right.

23. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

This won’t happen. Mark my words. Happy to eat them if it does, but no way does this happen.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Don't know if that specific rumor is true but in my country we can buy iPhone Xs with a 200€ discount for black friday and I don't remember such a good discount after 2 months. iPhone X is now on sale for less than 800€ and iPhone 8 for less than 600
    We have always had good deals on old models, so a huge discount on an iPhone 7 or a 6s wouldn't surprise me, but not on a brand new model.

I don't expect discounts from Apple.com for BF tomorrow, but the deals I'm talking about are on the equivalent of Best Buy in Italy, not an unknown online shop.
    It is possibile Apple started to discount the iPhones to carriers and resellers to they can keep the price high on their own store but sell more phones via third party shops.

25. Emanuel Rodriguez macrumors member

Emanuel Rodriguez

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of TouchID myself. FaceID seems like interesting technology, but not quite as practical.