Apple Reportedly Reassigned Some Marketing Staff to Work on Bolstering Sales of iPhone XS and iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple moved some of its marketing staff off other projects to focus on bolstering sales of the latest iPhone lineup in late October, around the time the iPhone XR launched, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

[​IMG]

The report cites an unnamed person familiar with the situation who described the move as a "fire drill" and "a possible admission that the devices may have been selling below some expectations," a concern shared by some analysts and investors. Apple's stock price has plunged nearly 17 percent since November 1.

Apple is certainly marketing the latest iPhones more aggressively than in previous years. A banner at the top of its website advertises the iPhone XR "from $449," but with an asterisk, as that price requires trading in an iPhone 7 Plus for a $300 credit as part of a limited time promotion rarely seen from Apple.

These concerns are nothing new following iPhone launch season, with the doom and gloom often fueled by weakening forecasts from iPhone suppliers.

Cirrus Logic, a supplier of audio-related components for iPhones, expects its revenue for the current holiday season quarter to be around 16 percent lower than it originally forecasted due to "recent weaknesses in the smartphone market." While not named, Apple accounts for around 80 percent of Cirrus Logic's business.

Making matters worse, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple recently slashed production orders for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR due in part to "lower-than-expected demand."

Apple CEO Tim Cook has dismissed those supply chain reports in the past. During an earnings call in January 2013, he noted that the company's supply chain is very complex and that conclusions shouldn't be drawn from singular data points:
    It certainly doesn't help that Apple recently announced that it will no longer disclose iPhone unit sales in its quarterly earnings results, leading some to believe that iPhone sales have peaked and Apple has something to hide.

Apple's financial chief Luca Maestri said unit sales are "not particularly relevant for our company at this point," as they are "not necessarily representative of the underlying strength of our business." He did note that Apple may provide qualitative commentary if the info is valuable to investors.

While there were similar concerns about the iPhone X, that device ultimately sold well, so time will tell whether these headlines are baseless again. However, analysts will now have to rely exclusively on iPhone revenue to gauge sales, so the situation will no longer be as transparent going forward.

Apple has yet to announce a date for its next quarterly earnings report, but it will likely be released at the end of January. Apple expects revenue of between $89 billion and $93 billion, which would be an all-time company record.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Reassigned Some Marketing Staff to Work on Bolstering Sales of iPhone XS and iPhone XR

2. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

More proof... Apple should've just lowered the entry prices and this could've been avoided.

3. MacFather, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  4. brian3uk macrumors 6502

Lower the effin' price and you wont need marketing people.

5. rjtyork macrumors regular

Whoops! We made the iPhone 7, 7+, 8, 8+ and X too powerful. Now people are actually holding on to their phones for longer than 2 years. Better screw up the next update and make them slow so people are forced to upgrade!

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

More fake news. This is ridiculous and can't be know if it's normal business operations or otherwise.

Of course this comes from an "unnamed source" who probably is doing their own speculation.

If anyone of you work at a big company, MANY people even in the org have no idea how well the company is executing.

7. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

iPhones make up 59.12% of all apple revenue but "not particularly relevant"

8. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Or just release an iPhone SE 2....?

Lower the prices of the existing lineup?

9. levitynyc macrumors 65816

10. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

11. mozumder macrumors 6502a

12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Phil said in 2013, “Can’t innovate anymore, my ass!”

He was 90% wrong, all we’ve gotten that’s magical are Airpods, mostly everything else is just catchup. Time for Apple to start taking risks.

13. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I think the hard part is deciding how much they can cut the price to bolster sales and keep their great margins.

14. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

You have a pretty low tolerance for "proof" don't you?

15. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

At least the article hedged it's bets by stating the same thing was said about the iphone X and it ultimately sold well. Time will tell.

In the meantime, this is a perfect story for those looking for an opportunity to criticize/bash apple in any way shape or form.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    Many people don't understand what "proof" really is.

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

I don’t think the iPhone XR is a bad product by any means - indeed it has a lot going for it, including some things* over the XS/Max. I do think it has a bit of an image problem though - Apple are trying to sell their ‘second option’ at what was flagship pricing until recently. In this way I think they might have had more success with the iPhone X at $899 than the XR at $749. At the end of the day though, what do I know, they obviously had the consumer survey data in front of them and this is obviously what it told them would be the most successful path to take...

*personal preference dependent

17. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Regardless of what anyone says, Steven Jobs did work at Apple. He obviously affected something. Yes, he did pick Tim Cook at the time to be CEO; then again, he also picked Scott Forstall to run iOS. To say Apple still has the same magic as it with Steve, is to say Steve didn't do anything. Which we know is false.

Apple was always expensive but justified. Now, they're increasing prices by 20% and offering less.

The person running Apple's ship isn't a product-guy. I think it shows with this insane iPhone lineup, MacBook line-up etc., iMac's with 5400 RPM HDDs.

Apple is about experience. Well, they used to be about it.

18. FrEdwin macrumors newbie

It's past time for Tim Cook to move on to other adventures. Tim Cook has become the next John Sculley. Time for Tim to go.

19. joueboy macrumors 65816

Yes! This is exactly what I want to happen to Apple, and finally people are speaking up. Apple should remember who put them on the top to begin with and this is what we get in return. I'm not saying they can't be profitable but the trend lately is pure greediness and it's just getting worst. Keep it up!

20. DrGorilla macrumors newbie

It's too expensive.

Tim Cook just isn't a visionary, he's all about the money and efficiency, no big picture.

Just how can we make more money out of people.

Apple products should be made by and lead by people who enjoy making the products themselves.

21. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

The iPhone XR is way over priced for what it is, the XS and XS Max are also high prices to pay, I bet most people who brought the iPhone X are still using it instead of upgrading (those that brought out right and not used the upgrade programme). I still have my iPhone X, there is no way I will buy a £1000 iPhone every year, every couple of years probably but not every year.

Apple seem to be making so many missteps just lately, the XR is a misstep, the higher price of the new iPad Pro's is another misstep. I've been an Apple fan for years and I'm starting to see cracks, I really hope they get their act together and soon!

22. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Absolutely not it. I upgrade every year despite it. This year the price is just out of hand.

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

[​IMG]
    Source: 9to5Mac

Found this interesting too. Much more blunt, aggressive taglines. The price increases obviously don't help, but people just don't update their phones as often any more. It's getting harder and harder to sell people something which is only marginally better than what they have.

24. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

This is bad news to owners of older models like me (iPhone SE). This puts more pressure on the planned obsolescence.

25. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I’m still on my X because it’s not worth paying another $1300+ for XS.

If they would keep the prices around $800 I’d upgrade every year like I have been doing.