Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is searching for a large office in Manhattan with between 200,000 and 500,000 square feet of space, according to New York real estate site The Real Deal. One source cited in the report believes Apple may end up securing up to 750,000 square feet of space, suitable for up to 5,000 employees by rule of thumb.

55-hudson-yards.jpg
55 Hudson Yards render

The report, highlighted by Cult of Mac, claims Apple has considered a range of properties such as 50 Hudson Yards, One Madison Avenue, and the under-redevelopment James A. Farley Building on Eighth Avenue.

While other tech giants like Google, Facebook, and Amazon each have a sizable presence in New York City, Apple has leased a smaller 45,000-square-foot office on Fifth Avenue in the Flatiron District since 2011. Apple has also rented a six-story loft mansion on Duane Street in Tribeca to hold briefings with the media.

Earlier this year, the New York Post reported that Apple was in advanced talks for about 60,000 square feet of space at 55 Hudson Yards.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Seeking Large Office Space in New York City

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009

Apple is searching for a large office in Manhattan with between 200,000 and 500,000 square feet of space, according to New York real estate site The Real Deal. One source cited in the report believes Apple may end up securing up to 750,000 square feet of space, suitable for up to 5,000 employees by rule of thumb.

55-hudson-yards.jpg

55 Hudson Yards render

The report, highlighted by Cult of Mac, claims Apple has considered a range of properties such as 50 Hudson Yards, One Madison Avenue, and the under-redevelopment James A. Farley Building on Eighth Avenue.

While other tech giants like Google, Facebook, and Amazon each have a sizable presence in New York City, Apple has leased a smaller 45,000-square-foot office on Fifth Avenue in the Flatiron District since 2011. Apple has also rented a six-story loft mansion on Duane Street in Tribeca to hold briefings with the media.

Earlier this year, the New York Post reported that Apple was in advanced talks for about 60,000 square feet of space at 55 Hudson Yards.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Seeking Large Office Space in New York City
New York City?? What does Nee York City know about salsa??

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Lots of talent in NYC. Makes sense to expand where the talent is, especially now that remote collaboration on software development (and other stuff) is easier than ever.

Which is a great argument for them not needing extensive real-estate in NYC. But I don't know if Apple has a work from home policy setup. My guess is no.

Reactions: MacUser09425

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Lots of talent in NYC. Makes sense to expand where the talent is, especially now that remote collaboration on software development (and other stuff) is easier than ever.

There is lots of talent in many different places . Frankly, if spent a higher percentage of the lease/rent money on salaries, talent would go where you reasonably asked it to go .

When Silicon Valley started off it wasn’t a metropolis . Bell labs , Watson research labs , xerox PARC , .... all not major metropolises.

This probably has far more to do with hipster imagery than in getting substantive work done .

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Rented mansions for the bling , bling factor . Probably pretty much the same driver here . Apple dumping more money in a overheated area because the other weather folks are dumping money into the same place .

Hanging out with Goldman Sachs buddies . High overhead media buddies . Advertising . Etc

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Which is a great argument for them not needing extensive real-estate in NYC. But I don't know if Apple has a work from home policy setup. My guess is no.

Many companies have gone away from work at home. Employees have abused it by making it a "work when I don't have something better to do" or "work when I don't have to deal with the kids (dog, aging parent, etc.)"

Reactions: Solomani and psac

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
wow, i live here and i didn't even know it was closed)))

Lol it’s been forever! People think that the store that they’ve been temporarily occupying is permanent.
[doublepost=1565888367][/doublepost]
LOL. Apple has over 10 Apple stores in NYC alone.

Yeah but this 1 is THEEE global flagship. The remodel is going to be amazing. I wanna see it already.
[doublepost=1565888429][/doublepost]

Why has it been 2.5 years? Or why do they need to reopen it? I’ll assume the latter.

Because I and a lot of others want to see the finish product. It’s going to be almost the size of a football field.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
When Silicon Valley started off it wasn’t a metropolis . Bell labs , Watson research labs , xerox PARC , .... all not major metropolises.

That was back in the day when everyone subscribed to the American Dream of a house in the suburbs and two cars. And where you went to work for a big corporation with the expectation that you would have a mutually beneficial relationship for a lifetime; so a company could be situated near a lot of single family housing with two car garages. Now the kidz want to live in cool cities and expect to leave to work in a hot startup, or two or three, after they get a couple of years experience. It's just not the same thing today as it was in 1965.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
the soho store is my go-to.

was it not meant to be a permanent store?..

Apple moved into the old FAO Schwarz store so that they can have a home while the underground store doubles in size and gets a totally new design.

The temporary location they’ve been in for 2.5+ years is literally next to where the original underground store is.

Once the underground store opens back up, the temporary store they’re currently occupying will close.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

Yeah, but full time remote collaboration is not an efficient way to run a team project. Remote works best as a supplement to mostly co-located teams, or distributed teams with co-located work groups.
[doublepost=1565890671][/doublepost]
Apple might want to check in with Amazon for sessions learned. ;)

These are not remotely comparable situations. Amazon was demanding tax breaks, and was going to create major changes to a neighborhood. Apple is just looking to rent space, and in a place where the impact would be barely noticeable.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yeah, but full time remote collaboration is not an efficient way to run a team project. Remote works best as a supplement to mostly co-located teams, or distributed teams with co-located work groups.

Agreed.

And people need to know that remote work is not part of Apple's DNA. Steve Jobs famously put all the bathrooms (there small 'emergency places) and cafateria in the main building at Pixar. This is to promote people meeting people in other groups. Getting to know these people and what they do. And thus who to go to when you are solving a problem that needed some extra expertise.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Apple moved into the old FAO Schwarz store so that they can have a home while the underground store doubles in size and gets a totally new design.

The temporary location they’ve been in for 2.5+ years is literally next to where the original underground store is.

Once the underground store opens back up, the temporary store they’re currently occupying will close.

gotcha! well i'm sure they want to go back to the cube too, it's an attractive location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.