Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

154351-ipad_nyt.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is tempering its own expectations for launch content on the iPad as it continues to struggle with finalizing deals with publishers ahead of the device's April 3rd launch date. In particular, television content and iPad-specific presentation of newspaper, magazine, and textbook content are said to have been set aside as Apple focuses its efforts on other content that stands a chance of meeting the launch deadline.
Yet the company is still negotiating with media companies for a price cut on TV shows that people can download onto the device, said people familiar with the matter. Apple also hoped to work closely with newspaper, magazines and textbook publishers on new ways to digitally present print content on the iPad, but has for now put the effort on backburner in favor of focusing on other content, said one of those people.
The report notes that potential partners have been reluctant to sign on with Apple, weighing the benefits of bringing their content to new platforms against risks to their revenue streams as they consider forging new revenue models.

Presumably Apple has been focusing a significant amount of attention on eBooks, as it seeks to roll out its iBooks application and associated iBookstore in the U.S. as the device launches. Apple has also been working to provide tools to developers to allow them to move their iPhone and iPod touch App Store applications to the iPad and bring new providers on board.

The report also cites a source claiming that Apple has already sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads since it went on sale last Friday, with the potential to outsell the original iPhone over the respective devices' initial three months' of sales. U.S. customers are currently able to pre-order or reserve for pick-up any of Apple's six iPad models, with Wi-Fi models scheduling for launch on April 3rd and 3G-capable models to follow in late April. International availability of all models is also scheduled to follow at that time.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Tempering Expectations as iPad Content Deals Remain Unfinalized

delux246

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Apple is still trying to get companies to join the iPad love machine and it's coming out in about 2 weeks...thats sad.

Comment

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
I hope Apple sorts out content. I know so many people that would love the iPad.

It won't prevent many from purchasing it. They already have many book publishers signed. The TV and newspaper content is icing on the cake. :)

Comment

chrisburton83

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
content

the available content will make or break the iPad. if they can make all forms of media easily available, the iPad has the potential to be a game changer.

Comment

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Conent is king. They need

Text Books
News Papers
Magazines
etc

Otherwise as some have predicted it is going to be a problem.

I would really like the ability to get Newspapers on this device. I can on my Kindle....

Comment

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
It won't prevent many from purchasing it. They already have many book publishers signed. The TV and newspaper content is icing on the cake. :)

I think these "other media" publishers an such are waiting to see how the iPad is received by costumers, the first impressions, if there really are a massive opportunity in there before they jump in

They are kinda trying the waters to see if it is too cold or if it is ok soon after the launch...

They're playing too safe in my opinion, and that is a reason why they are finding too hard to reclaim the money they lost in the past years...

Comment

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
the available content will make or break the iPad. if they can make all forms of media easily available, the iPad has the potential to be a game changer.

I can see how it would impact the adoption rate. But I'm not sure if I see it potentially breaking it. Some people will still find uses for their iPads, regardless of how much dedicated media content is available for the platform.

Comment

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Well it took a year before the app store showed up on the iphone, so i'm sure it's going to take them almost that long before we start seeing good quality content on the iPad.

I think this is just how Apple is doing it now to drop products and then worry about development on it because they want to scoop the competition.

I also think the pre-order number and the install base over the next 12 months will motivate developers and publishers etc. blah blah blah *poop*

Comment

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Bravo WSJ: Way to keep the stock from rampin' up

Way to send out a speculative article to keep that stick in a holding pattern. Check is in the mail from somewhere.

Comment

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Why would they want to sell stuff through iTunes if all the publishers can just make their own app, right?

Comment

little.pm

macrumors member
deep look into the coffe mug?

Its amazing that even Wall Street Journal's so called "Journalists" come up with "stories" they imagined whilst on crack and can claim legitimation by virtually citing "people familiar with the matter". Well, so far about quality. Thats a sick joke.

Everyone could claim anything with reference to Mr. Unknown.

So why is this worth any news?

Thats a fat rumor by itself.

I am surprised that that "story" got in print.

Oh boy.

Comment

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah, but what about a screen protector

I can't believe that Apple isn't going to sell a screen protector for this thing! *sarcasm*

Comment

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I hope Apple sorts out content.

I hope that Apple ensures that content is portable. A bunch of
Ipad-only deals will ensure that the Ipad and other slates will
struggle.

I won't buy music or video from only one source that only works
on one device from one manufacturer. Same with Ebooks and
Emagazines - make content portable!

Comment

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
The opportunity is there they just need to get it launched so that some of the risk goes away. If they can sell a million of these things by summer every content provider will want in.

Comment

AwakenedLands

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
California
Gee without content deals on the device, people will have to use the web browser. Apple will not gain a portion of all revenue for these newspapers and magazines making iPad-specific apps. Oh no!

I think the eBooks thing is a good idea, since no student wants to carry around 10 textbooks to class. But other than that, I can't see this ADDING significant enough revenue to content provider pockets. If it's not adding to their pockets, there is no reason to sign up with Apple. They have websites, why not just utilize these more?

Comment

enberg

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I am surprised that that "story" got in print.
"people familiar with the matter" are under NDAs, which is the reason for not mentioning names. And yes, a WSJ story with unknown sources does carry more weight than if some blog posted it.

Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I may well buy an iPad.

But I'll do my very best to avoid buying any content at all (apart from perhaps a handful of must have apps)

I have my own data thanks very much Apple.

Comment

little.pm

macrumors member
"people familiar with the matter" are under NDAs, which is the reason for not mentioning names. And yes, a WSJ story with unknown sources does carry more weight than if some blog posted it.
Gee, the author simply claims that to be fact but thats about it. They can freely create any lie and you let em go away with that. Sounds very well informed to me though. There is no proof. Not even for the very "fact" the author even knows anyone familiar with that matter.

Comment

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Well, I hope those who preordered enjoy the sparse content they'll get upon launch. See, this is why you don't buy something until you've actually used it or at the absolute minimum read reviews from other consumers-- not tech journalists.

Comment

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Gee, the author simply claims that to be fact but thats about it. They can freely create any lie and you let em go away with that. Sounds very well informed to me though. There is no proof. Not even for the very "fact" the author even knows anyone familiar with that matter.

Its a rumor and entire businesses have built off of reporting/speculating on the internal workings Stevie Wonka's Apple Factory.

Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
But there is already a world of movies, music, ebooks, and the internet out there to use on the iPad.

As well as it being able to use all the old apps in jumbo blocky mode.

Apart from writing some cool new apps and great games, does any other content need to be modified?

But then this all goed bakc to the origianl argument about the device shoudl display the web fully, not the web having to be modified for 1 device from 1 maker.

With a shed load of other tablets coming out this year and next, it's understandable that people may not want to start changing content for the 1st device of it's kind. esp when the other devices, probably won't need any content modifying.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.