Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
If you Build it, They will Come.

Apple is still trying to get companies to join the iPad love machine and it's coming out in about 2 weeks...thats sad.
It's not sad. Sometimes that's the way it works. Do you not remember when Apple wanted to bring TV and Movies to iTunes -- the only one who would do it was Disney because of Jobs ties. But from the content that they owed, the other studios realized that they were losing out on free money. And they Joined Up! Remember now?!

If Apple only released a service when EVERYONE agreed to it, we still have nothing. Apple starts the party, companies join it. It's what they do.

It's not sad. It's business.

You people... go to another board with this tripe.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Well, I hope those who preordered enjoy the sparse content they'll get upon launch. See, this is why you don't buy something until you've actually used it or at the absolute minimum read reviews from other consumers-- not tech journalists.

Yes, I guess they’ll have to make do with 150,000+ apps available in the App Store, the 12,000,000+ songs, the 150,000+ podcasts, the 55,000+ TV shows and 8,500+ films. And, of course, the millions of Web sites and media portals (YouTube, etc) available via Safari.

What a bummer. :rolleyes:

johng2222

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2005
Fine by me.

I couldn't care less about the TV content - and a lot of the other "goodies" - since all it has to do is work well as a web surfer and e-mailer for me to happy.

Seriously, I've paid a lot more for less. What's the big deal with "perfect"?

Ports

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Bothell,WA
Well, I hope those who preordered enjoy the sparse content they'll get upon launch. See, this is why you don't buy something until you've actually used it or at the absolute minimum read reviews from other consumers-- not tech journalists.

Thanks for the advice:rolleyes: I will enjoy the ipad though:D

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
In particular, television content and iPad-specific presentation of newspaper, magazine, and textbook content are said to have been set aside as Apple focuses its efforts on other content that stands a chance of meeting the launch deadline.The report notes that potential partners have been reluctant to sign on with Apple, weighing the benefits of bringing their content to new platforms against risks to their revenue streams as they consider forging new revenue models.

None of this would be a problem if they would just bite the bullet and bring flash 10.2 to the iPad. I mean Jesus, if a Desire ROM-flashed Nexus one can stream hulu than so can the almighty iPad.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
I think their wasting their time on TV shows. even at a dollar a show i am not going to buy one to watch on my iPad. I think they should be focusing on Magazines and textbooks. Interactive versions of mags and textbooks would be an improvement over the print versions and offer added value - shrinking your tv to something the size of a piece of paper doesn't offer me an advantage.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This article reminds me of a psychic reading. Just enough detail to seem like it's actually saying something, but, in the end, nothing it says will ever be provable (or disprovable).

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
It still has a web browser.

So does my laptop and my iPod. If I have to use the web browser to get to the content anyways, why do I need the iPad?

Yes, I guess they’ll have to make do with 150,000+ apps available in the App Store, the 12,000,000+ songs, the 150,000+ podcasts, the 55,000+ TV shows and 8,500+ films. And, of course, the millions of Web sites and media portals (YouTube, etc) available via Safari.

What a bummer. :rolleyes:

That's all available on the iPod touch/iPhone. The iPad has to do something special that nothing else does, and be damned good at it to justify the price. So far, there's nothing it'll do that an iPhone won't. The content publishers may be able to contribute something, but if this story is true, it sure doesn't look like it.

Though to be honest, does paid content you can get for free from a Web browser justify the iPad's price tag either?

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
The iPad has to do something special that nothing else does, and be damned good at it to justify the price. So far, there's nothing it'll do that an iPhone won't.

Sorry, but iPad's 10" touchscreen is going to be it's first killer app, despite how so many seem to dismiss it.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
In two years, one way or another, the flash issue will be resolved. There'll likely (I hope) be some reasonable form of multitasking on the OS. The hardware will have been upgraded with greater space, a camera, widescreen etc. And then I presume it'll be worth owning.

What's frustrating is having to wait those two years in the first place.

chrisburton83

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
I can see how it would impact the adoption rate. But I'm not sure if I see it potentially breaking it. Some people will still find uses for their iPads, regardless of how much dedicated media content is available for the platform.

yes. i agree. i plan on buying one as of now hoping that content will only get better as it did for iPhone. i don't think lack of content on release will break its success. i do think that lack of content long-term could break its ability to create a new market and possibly change the way people use media.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
In two years, one way or another, the flash issue will be resolved. There'll likely (I hope) be some reasonable form of multitasking on the OS. The hardware will have been upgraded with greater space, a camera, widescreen etc. And then it will I presume be worth owning.

What's frustrating is having to wait those two years in the first place.

The thing is, Every other new tablet I've seen coming out does play flash and as I understand it, the Nvidea Tegra 2 chipset (the dogs danglies chipset that we all want as it kicks iPads ass) supports Flash in hardware acceleration, so there is no reason for all this anti flash talk.

It's only really Mr Steve that has the problem with it.

If the iPad had Tegra 2 and Flash hardware speed up built in, we'd all be bouncing up and down about how great it was to have this. But we don't say that, as we don't have that chipset.

How good the other tablets are that do have the better hardware we will just have to wait and see.

"notion ink adam" is the one that's got many excited at the moment.

chrisburton83

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
I think their wasting their time on TV shows. even at a dollar a show i am not going to buy one to watch on my iPad. I think they should be focusing on Magazines and textbooks. Interactive versions of mags and textbooks would be an improvement over the print versions and offer added value - shrinking your tv to something the size of a piece of paper doesn't offer me an advantage.

not wasting their time, but you're right. people don't want to pay for individual episodes. give me a subscription service or advertisements. otherwise, keeping my fingers crossed for a hulu app. watching tv on the go would be nice.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Content is king. They need

Text Books
News Papers
Magazines
etc

Otherwise as some have predicted it is going to be a problem.

I would really like the ability to get Newspapers on this device. I can on my Kindle....

I thought New York Times promised its paper via a unique app at the rollout and WSJ just said it would be onboard. The SI demo on YouTube looked great and although they didn't commit specifically to the iPad, it looked suspiciously right and with a subtle promise of all the other Time titles too.

Deals, smeals, I think with a few high profile guys on board the others will quickly follow. It just looks so great for the newspaper publishers. The subscriptions may be a bit high at the start, but they will come down.

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
This article reminds me of a psychic reading. Just enough detail to seem like it's actually saying something, but, in the end, nothing it says will ever be provable (or disprovable).

100% correct.

This same junk was picked up by paidContent (a Guardian owned property). It seems the authors are confused by "content deals" and "apps", somehow expecting that Apple will make an announcement every time some newspaper's app get approved.

Major TV deals and book publishing deals are worthy of announcements, apps are not -- and most publications, and even many book publishers are going in the app direction. (If you missed Penguin CEO Makinson's talk where he says his company will concentrate on creating apps, you read the story and see the video here.)

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
The thing is, Every other new tablet I've seen coming out does play flash and as I understand it, the Nvidea Tegra 2 chipset (the dogs danglies chipset that we all want as it kicks iPads ass) supports Flash in hardware acceleration, so there is no reason for all this anti flash talk.

Flash needs access to the hardware and that is very dangerous, if Adobe F*** up the security Apple can't do anything about it, the code is not in there hands. The future of all Flash capable devices is in the hands of Adobe, i really don't want that.

Plus the implementation for small devices isn't optimal, they never showcase a Flash game on a web-page with multiple Flash adds. It still sucks and things like pointer detection just isn't possible on a touchscreen, allowing Flash won't be the Valhalla some seem to expect from it.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
If WSJ was reporting positive news, there wouldn't even be a fly fart of debate about the anonymous source:rolleyes:

That said, I dont think this will have much of an impact on sales. The majority of people will be more turned off by it's inability to surf undiluted sites or not finding a particular book.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Here is a nice sensible, adult (no name calling or blame giving) interview about Adobe/flash and their plans.

At the end of the interview saying about creating flash content for the iphone etc and hoping things can be worked out on the platform eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozxzs4CJa4

iRACK

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
I do Not understand what all the fuss is about. Really first of all there is plenty of content out there like many said before (apps podcasts films tv shows music websites sans flash ...) secondly like stated before as well it has a 10" touch interface that is responsive as hell!

It really is the first of it's kind (yes there have been tablet computers for a long time - no the ipad is not a full computer it is a media consumption asisstant/data imput output device) and it is going to skyrocket.

Just look at the predicted numbers on prerders. This seems huge for something with no content and most importantly for somethig that nearly non of the people that bought it have ever touched.

I will certainly not preorder one because I think it will live from it's feel which I will have to feel first. When i did so iam shire I'll end up with the 64/3g version.

Content will be there, created by devs for the ipad specific app store.

Big companys will follow fast when apple surpasses the 1million in sales roughly 3 weeks after it launched in the US only. Just wait for even more impressive numbers when it's going to start abroad. I'll say it's going to top 5-6 million in 2010.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm already stocking up on free ePub books. While I would love as much content as possible when I get the device, I don't want them to rush out any old crap... I am especially hopeful for a more affordable TV show rental programme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.