Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xalea

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
Demand for the 12 Pro is higher because the 12 looks like a cheap plastic knock-off compared (non-metallic edge). I got the 12 Pro in Gold but it doesn't look very gold *shrug*.

I also got a new iPad Air, which is 100x more amazing than the new phone, by the way.

Also, today is my birthday. Non-relevant information :)?

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Demand for the 12 Pro is higher because the 12 looks like a cheap plastic knock-off compared (non-metallic edge). I got the 12 Pro in Gold but it doesn't look very gold *shrug*.

I also got a new iPad Air, which is 100x more amazing than the new phone, by the way.

Actually the 12 Pro offers 6GB Ram vs 4 on the 12, 128GB base storage vs 64 on the 12, and LiDAR. Worth the extra $200 IMHO

Reactions: amartinez1660

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
I don't think the reasoning is quite OK in this report.
Just because there are shortages of iPhone 12 parts Apple will not order more of the old phones.
Maybe there is just still a lot of demand for the old form factor with the lower price it has now.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
A nice problem to have. Why I believe it too is the amount iPhone X, XS flooding Facebook Marketplace. I’m also seeing a lot of iPhone 11 Pro’s too in FB being sold too. It seems like even users with a perfectly good iPhone that will get years of iOS updates still want the latest shiny. This is such a win-win situation for Apple.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Not sure the manufacturers of leather wallets are suddenly going to be able to make a LiDAR sensor.
No, but the people making all those dumb Apple TV+ shows could certainly start cranking out LiDAR sensors and power management chips. All they need is a little cross-training! :p

Reactions: Stridr69

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
That's ok. Tesla uses parts found at Home Depot for minor assembly in their vehicles. I think they Y model.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA

The 12 is aluminum as opposed to stainless steel, and many people prefer it because it's not a fingerprint magnet.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Quite the contrary I think. Imo there will still be people looking at it as an iPhone that looks the "same" as the newer iPhones (notched FaceID) at the cheap ($499), a huge price drop from $749 launch price.
There are a lot of people here on Mac Rumors that are just tech snobs or absolutely have to have the latest and greatest, whereas many people are going to see the iPhone XR as a great device for themselves at $499 and jump on it. I am typing this on my black, 128GB iPhone XR and I have zero complaints. This device is fast and responsive and does everything I need it to do. I am too old to care about bragging rights anymore and I am going to keep any iPhone I buy in the future a longer period of time (at least 3 years). Apple has flipped the script on offering a model for just about every potential user that is out there. Except for Mac Rumors posters, nothing ever seems to be right for them.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
One way round this problem is to get rid of the useless Magsafe magnet in the new phones and stop making/selling the useless Magsafe chargers and wallets (which fall off when you put the phone in your pocket). Even if the 5G assembly was removed wouldn't make a difference to me. In other words, focus on what people really want/matters.

It's not useless, its entire purpose hasn't been fully realized yet but in the short term it is preventing wasted power from phones that aren't perfectly aligned with wireless chargers. Apple has long term plans for just about everything they introduce, I can see there's potential with magsafe as it starts to proliferate...and we're talking about a couple of magnets that you have a choice to completely ignore.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Ok, I‘m pissed at Apple now. How can they have shortages across all their products so often?? They are so rich and they‘re constantly trying to cut corners or save some money in manufacturing, it‘s really annoying.

Spend more money and get your **** together. Best products in their categories doesn‘t mean they are allowed slow manufacturing speeds, while being one of the top richest companies in the world.

I know there‘s a pandemic going on, but Apple had been suffering constant shortages and slowdowns for years now.
What Apple does every year with this iPhones is nothing short of a supply chain miracle. Show me any device from ANYONE else that sells this many this fast. Hell, show me a video game or other simple piece of media on an optical disc that sells this many this fast. They start manufacturing months ahead of time and it's still never enough.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Just my $0.02, but I think "most" iPhone customers will ONLY consider these three:

1.) 12 Pro for ~$1K USD

2.) 12 mini for ~$600 USD

3.) 11 for ~$600 USD

Apple should NOT still be selling the XR ! ... it does NOT have enough DRAM !

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
so the Max will sell out within 2 minutes on Friday then? ?

their whole supply chain seems to be messed up from the pandemic. The iPad Air isnt available on 3rd party pages for 1 - 2 months and even Apple still lists it with shipping dates at the end of November
I ordered the iPad Air 4 on launch day and it took 10 days for it to arrive. Glad I didn’t hesitate!

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I ordered the iPad Air 4 on launch day and it took 10 days for it to arrive. Glad I didn’t hesitate!

I ordered mine on launch day at Apple and it was supposed to arrive next week so I went on amazon a day before the release and I got one for delivery a day after launch. Now they just show "not available" or shipping in "1 - 2 months". its crazy

Reactions: imnotthewalrus

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Ok, I‘m pissed at Apple now. How can they have shortages across all their products so often?? They are so rich and they‘re constantly trying to cut corners or save some money in manufacturing, it‘s really annoying.

Spend more money and get your **** together. Best products in their categories doesn‘t mean they are allowed slow manufacturing speeds, while being one of the top richest companies in the world.

I know there‘s a pandemic going on, but Apple had been suffering constant shortages and slowdowns for years now.
Can I ask for an example of corner cutting in iPhones in recent years?

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City

iPad air isn't all that special to anyone who has had a 2018 11" iPad Pro for 2 years.. But i'll feel your excitement when the 12.9" mini LED iPad releases in 2021

Also I like the blue better in the 12 than the 12 Pro but I'll be getting the 12 Pro Max because I'm used to my 11 Pro Max battery life now! This battery is a tank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.