Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Short answer, because Chinese maker is better and cheaper. Or what do you think why?
Not true at all.
[doublepost=1500618958][/doublepost]
I assume you make the little joke about the comeback for Fiskers.

Elon Musk is very good at making what is good for him sound like it's good for everybody. I never bought his patter, especially when I know better. He's always angling for advantage. No more no less here.
He never had the budget needed to bring a sold quality car to market although he was better then Fisker by a mile.

Prince134

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
Let me rephrase: Short answer, because Chinese maker is cheaper and cheaper. Or what do you think why?
It's totally fine if you think it that way. And does it matter to you? You get apple car cheaper anyway. You won't buy it, I know.

danskin

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2013
It's totally fine if you think it that way. And does it matter to you? You get apple car cheaper anyway. You won't buy it, I know.

You are correct, it doesn't matter to me at all. Neither does the workers in sweat shops nor the weakening U.S. economy.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

sounds like a success story to me. s/
This is right wing mis-information. Musk has contracts, for example, from the government to supply services (NASA). That is not a subsidy, in fact it saves the tax payer enormous sums.
Would you say Lockheed Martin is subsidised because of military sales?

All businesses use local, state and federal incentive schemes to decide on location decisions. None of Musks businesses rely on being given money by the government.

Musk has kicked off the electric car industry worldwide, has revolutionised space, has made enormous strides in battery life, density and reliability and is about to revolutionise mass transportation.

Makes you wonder who's side you're on, Trump/Russia perhaps?

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Musk has kicked off the electric car industry worldwide, has revolutionised space, has made enormous strides in battery life, density and reliability and is about to revolutionise mass transportation.

I like this post "who's side you're on, Trump/Russia"
Ermm you mean the democratically elected leader of the the free western world
or those terrible eastern Europeans. You've basically covered the entire world there. Unless you don't want to take a side I don't see your point.
Sending a rocket into space and hoping it returns? How has that "revolutionised space", what benefit has that brought to your life? Unless you believe the pipe-dream of going to Mars, jeez we haven't gone to the moon for forty years.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's a funny world, where we have been brainwashed by GIANT companies to accept that needing to charge a device every single day it normal.

Imagine needing to charge your TV remote every day, your wall clocks every day.

:)

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Elon Musk can build a Gigafactory here in the US, but Apple must outsource to China. This has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with Tim Cook.

Reactions: 69650

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Overnight trickle charging means that vast majority of users will be regularly charging at home and only sporadically at a charging station.
That's true. I didn't think about that. Where it will be a big pain is while on the road—places like turnpikes where you pretty much have to gas up at certain stations or leave and get charged more. Even off the tolls when I drove out to Colorado the other week we pulled off at this station in the middle of nowhere that was completely packed and had to wait for a couple cars ahead of us. Hopefully we can get more charging stations out there or road trips are going to get a whole lot longer. Having grown up in Kansas City right in the middle of the US, I'm all about road trips!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That's true. I didn't think about that. Where it will be a big pain is while on the road—places like turnpikes where you pretty much have to gas up at certain stations or leave and get charged more. Even off the tolls when I drove out to Colorado the other week we pulled off at this station in the middle of nowhere that was completely packed and had to wait for a couple cars ahead of us. Hopefully we can get more charging stations out there or road trips are going to get a whole lot longer. Having grown up in Kansas City right in the middle of the US, I'm all about road trips!

Granted I have yet to try a real road trip in the Bolt, but others have. It requires a certain amount of planning, but it can be done. It is not a go-everywhere no-worry car at this point but I believe the time is coming soon as the DCFC network rolls out. I ordered the DCFC option on mine. It allows the car to at least theoretically charge around 100 miles in about 15 minutes and fully in about an hour. For now I charge the car in the garage overnight and use it for trips within the 250 mile round trip range (in summer, in cold weather, closer to 220). That's about 95% of my driving needs, so it's working out great so far. Really feel like I will never want or need another ICE car.

Reactions: macduke

monster620ie

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Apple is now just a front for Made in China.

I'll stick with American made Tesla EVs and Japanese batteries which are best.

I am starting to believe that finally. Starting to hate that most of its manufacturing is outside. Its just becoming an outlet store for China just like Walmart.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I'd be more excited if I read about Apple working directly with researchers that are designing new power technologies that surpass existing conventional approaches to batteries.

Putting some of that big cash stockpile to good use.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
This is right wing mis-information. Musk has contracts, for example, from the government to supply services (NASA). That is not a subsidy, in fact it saves the tax payer enormous sums.
Would you say Lockheed Martin is subsidised because of military sales?

All businesses use local, state and federal incentive schemes to decide on location decisions. None of Musks businesses rely on being given money by the government.

Nasa's contract saved him from bankruptcy at a time were it wasn't sure he would succeed; so at the time, it was a subsidy of sort.

Right... Revolutionize... Give me a break. The Cult of personality around Musk is worse than the one around Jobs.

He'll be lucky not to go bankrupt with tesla, the battery tech he's using mostly came from other company and in what way has he "revolutionized" mass transport... With his near scam Hyperloop thing.... Oh my.

When he turns a profit from any of his ventures and is not merely taking money in, you can talk. Before then he's mostly a cut rate Edison.

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
Nasa's contract saved him from bankruptcy at a time were it wasn't sure he would succeed; so at the time, it was a subsidy of sort.

Right... Revolutionize... Give me a break. The Cult of personality around Musk is worse than the one around Jobs.

He'll be lucky not to go bankrupt with tesla, the battery tech he's using mostly came from other company and in what way has he "revolutionized" mass transport... With his near scam Hyperloop thing.... Oh my.

When he turns a profit from any of his ventures and is not merely taking money in, you can talk. Before then he's mostly a cut rate Edison.

Musk is actually only interested in getting man to Mars using all of his existing enterprises to fund that long term goal. He is not your typical profit-driven businessman, as far as I know.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Musk is actually only interested in getting man to Mars using all of his existing enterprises to fund that long term goal. He is not your typical profit-driven businessman, as far as I know.
Hes losing money on all of them, sip your declaration is near joke level. It's investors who are propping his **** up with promises after promises

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
Hes losing money on all of them, sip your declaration is near joke level. It's investors who are propping his **** up with promises after promises

I think that's exactly his point - funnel money because no one man can generate all that revenue, into his space ambitions. Your money at a corporate level can come from either investors or revenue, both of which are just space travel funding.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012

You really don't know a whole lot about Musk and his businesses, do you?

SpaceX's entry into the launch market, at ¼ of the cost of ULAs efforts, is the reason why they have contracts with NASA. Tax payers have a lot to be thankful for. It's likely ULA's gravy train will end soon.

The reason why Musks transportation businesses are revolutionary is that he has done what people like you said he couldn't do and done it far better than anyone else. Tesla has single handedly kicked off the worldwide EV market with sexy desirable cars and batteries that minimise battery degradation( the range of my Tesla has gone up in the last 2 years ).

The hyperloop is starting now and will be even more important and is moving ahead with huge government interest.

Finally, making little profit for shareholders is how to grow businesses, all the profit potential goes into R and D. I guess you have no experience of this, but it's how business works, read and learn about Amazon for example.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
You really don't know a whole lot about Musk and his businesses, do you?

SpaceX's entry into the launch market, at ¼ of the cost of ULAs efforts, is the reason why they have contracts with NASA. Tax payers have a lot to be thankful for. It's likely ULA's gravy train will end soon.

The reason why Musks transportation businesses are revolutionary is that he has done what people like you said he couldn't do and done it far better than anyone else. Tesla has single handedly kicked off the worldwide EV market with sexy desirable cars and batteries that minimise battery degradation( the range of my Tesla has gone up in the last 2 years ).

The hyperloop is starting now and will be even more important and is moving ahead with huge government interest.

Finally, making little profit for shareholders is how to grow businesses, all the profit potential goes into R and D. I guess you have no experience of this, but it's how business works, read and learn about Amazon for example.
Man, just throwing words out there doesn't make it so; he would bankrupt if not for NASA in 2008 and that's a fact.
Everything else is in no way revolutionary but it is innovative. His greatest gift is convincing people, including investors, a grab bag of existing tech is new tech. So gift of self promotion like Jobs but with a car salesman sheen(only fitting...)

Reactions: advancewarsbest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.