Apple Reports $1.23 Billion Profit for Q3 2009, Best Non-Holiday Quarter Ever

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today announced financial results for the third quarter of fiscal 2009. Apple posted revenue of $8.34 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.23 billion, or $1.35 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $7.46 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.07 billion, or $1.19 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.3 percent, compared to 34.8 percent in the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 44 percent of the quarter's revenue. The numbers represent the best non-holiday quarterly revenue and earnings in Apple history.

Using non-GAAP data, which eliminates subscription-based accounting for the iPhone and Apple TV, Apple would have had $9.74 billion revenue and $1.94 billion of net income. The subscription-based accounting used for Apple's official results parcels out income from iPhone and Apple TV sales over a 24-month period from the date of sale, whereas the non-GAAP results count the entire revenue from these sales in the quarter they were made.

Apple shipped 2.6 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, a unit increase of 4 percent over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 10.2 million Pods during the quarter, representing 7 percent unit decline over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone unit sales reached 5.2 million, up 626 percent from the year-ago-quarter.
"We're making our most innovative products ever and our customers are responding," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're thrilled to have sold over 5.2 million iPhones during the quarter and users have downloaded more than 1.5 billion applications from our App Store in its first year."
Apple's guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2009 includes expected revenue of $8.7 billion to $8.9 billion and earnings per diluted share of $1.18 to $1.23.

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q3 2009 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Article Link: Apple Reports $1.23 Billion Profit for Q3 2009, Best Non-Holiday Quarter Ever

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Yay! Here go my AAPL shares!!! :D

This is the reason why I bought in early last Thursday at $147 a share.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Wow, yet another record breaking quarter and since this is for the quarter ending June 27th, this doesn't even account for back to school sales as those will follow in fiscal Q4. Simply incredible given the current economic climate. :apple:

schalkse

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Belgium
Now.... let's have some figures from Dell. Lol, am sure those are way down.
Glad to hear Apple had a good quarter.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Hmm...it may be the only company not headed to bankruptcy amazing...on a more serious note...this is a good sign for apple customers and apple stock holders.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
This is a great quarter. It's high noon at Apple right now. I chaulk up the decline in iPod sales to the fact that everyone now knows that Apple will come out with new iPods in September and are waiting for that. Plus, some potential iPod buyers will instead buy the iPhone instead... killing 2 birds at once... music player and phone & camera (wait, that's 3 birds).

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Interesting for a non-holiday quarter. I suspect it relies heavily on the back to school crowd.
You're probably right. Regardless of us being in a recession, and everybody running around screaming "The world is ending bla bla bla", everyone seems to be able to afford Apple computers?

Myself I have just made the conversion, when I ordered my new 2.66Ghz MBP 15" MBP today. Did I scoot up their profit for this quarter? xD

But either way, that's a pretty amazing statistic!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You're probably right. Regardless of us being in a recession, and everybody running around screaming "The world is ending bla bla bla", everyone seems to be able to afford Apple computers?

Myself I have just made the conversion, when I ordered my new 2.66Ghz MBP 15" MBP today. Did I scoot up their profit for this quarter? xD

But either way, that's a pretty amazing statistic!
I'm still able to get new computer hardware now. Then again my living expenses are ridiculously low, I avoid driving at all costs, and I don't have any debts or credit cards. That's just me though.

I'll probably be getting a new motherboard and moving my current one to a HTPC setup.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
So did a single analyst get it right? Not one, huh? And every one of them predicted lower earnings, no one erred in the other direction?

Will they ever learn?

I believe the answer to all of the above questions is: No.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Can anyone comment on whether they've continued their trend of conservative guidance?
“Looking ahead to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2009, we expect revenue in the range of about $8.7 billion to $8.9 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $1.18 to $1.23.”

Doesn't seem to be as bad as they have been previously, but at the same time I'm sure they are still lowballing.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I would be happy with just a hundredth of that money.
but good job apple for saying screw you reccession!

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
Do these numbers take into account inflation? I know there's not much inflation for the moment, but in other periods that could easily skew the numbers. It's like how a couple of years ago people said that gas was "more expensive than ever" without looking at inflation.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
and of course stock will tank tomorrow. Every time apple does good walstreet punishes.
No, not true. The stock only tanks if investors feel their guidance sucks for the next quarter. Check out afterhours trading right now...up more than 3% over today's close.

You can go back and look at April 22, 2009 when they released Q2 earnings and see the jump that happened the next day.

torpeau

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
Great Mac Sales

Does anybody still believe that Apple legal called MS to complain about how those MS commercials were hurting sales????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.