Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Reports 3Q 2020 Results: $11.25B Profit on $59.7B Revenue, 4-for-1 Stock Split Announced

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I owned 100 shares of Apple back when it was $60/share and sold it.
I would have had 2800 shares of Apple if I had kept the shares. A 280,000 mistake.
Not feeling swell.
Don’t feel bad Steve. I bought 100 shares of  back in 1998 at around $26 and sold it. I bought some later and have hung onto it, but I wish I had bought more.

Also, remember the investor Carl Icahn? He bought a sizable stake post-7:1 split, but I believe he completely sold it around $100. If true, he’s got to be feeling worse than you!

Comment

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I was around 30 and not emotionally mature or happy enough to have the wealth I had at the time. I always suffered from depression and a lot of money can kill someone like that. Giving up the money and removing myself from my father’s will was the best move I ever made. I restarted from scratch and pursued a career in the stuff that I loved in my teens but never had a chance to before. When I say I started from scratch again I literally mean going from millionaire to zero bucks.
You are quite a unique person. I have not heard of anyone doing this before, voluntarily. Thanks for sharing, and I wish you all the best!

Comment

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Hell of a rally today. AAPL +40.28 (10.47%). Wouldn't be surprised to see the price run up to at least $500 by the time the stock splits on 8/31.

Last edited:
Reactions: mech986 and jerryk
Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Aren't you going to eventually pay Capital Gains on all that unless of course you plan you make it some lucky person's inheritance? lol
You are correct. I will have to pay a lot of tax.

I still consider myself relatively young. I have a ways to go until retirement. A portion of that amount will be left to my family members to use as they see fit after I die. Hopefully, that won’t be for a while.

Comment

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
USA
At this point, I feel like using my emergency savings to buy Apple stock. Some of my investments are in Apple stock as well as other technology companies, but I want to own some of it directly. Its just the uncertainties of this year makes me wary of doing that.
Understandable. A lot of uncertainty this year. It would be risky to put emergency savings into any stock, no matter how well it is currently doing.

Reactions: DocMultimedia
Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Comment

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Huge fanboy here that bought my first AAPL shares at age 17 or so in 1996:)
Same here (but younger than you). Wish I’d bought way more when it was twenty bucks. Would be swimming in it like some of you.

Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I don’t have experience with stock but does this mean that I can start buying stocks in Apple for 100$ in August compared too 400 now?
It is a 4 for 1 split so the price drops to 1/4 what it was the day before. So if the price goes up to say $500 by then you would pay $500/4 = $125. FWIW I am buying more now.

Reactions: mech986
Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Don’t feel bad Steve. I bought 100 shares of  back in 1998 at around $26 and sold it. I bought some later and have hung onto it, but I wish I had bought more.

Also, remember the investor Carl Icahn? He bought a sizable stake post-7:1 split, but I believe he completely sold it around $100. If true, he’s got to be feeling worse than you!
Carl Icahn was completely wrong on AAPL because he thought China would be a long term problem. 😂

I remember laughing at him when he sold because his original premise for buying was so solid. No clue why he got spooked into selling at the bottom.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
holy moly!! You lucky dog!! I was 10 then. You were a fan of Apple before the Macintosh was even advertised. Nice!
To be honest, I was a fan before I fully understood all there was about computers, much less Apple. I didn’t even own a computer. I had just graduated high school and had money saved up and decided to take a gamble on Apple. I liked what I saw.

Comment

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
To be honest, I was a fan before I fully understood all there was about computers, much less Apple. I didn’t even own a computer. I had just graduated high school and had money saved up and decided to take a gamble on Apple. I liked what I saw.

Good move on your part. Investigate any investment before putting money down - but Apple has done a great job of putting down a strategy and sticking to it. Sometime Apple moves slow - but they stick to a well thought out play book and just work it.

Very good job by Apple's leadership team.

Comment

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I was around 30 and not emotionally mature or happy enough to have the wealth I had at the time. I always suffered from depression and a lot of money can kill someone like that. Giving up the money and removing myself from my father’s will was the best move I ever made. I restarted from scratch and pursued a career in the stuff that I loved in my teens but never had a chance to before. When I say I started from scratch again I literally mean going from millionaire to zero bucks.
That’s amazing. Glad you were able to pursue what you love and help the family too. Hope all else is well for you.

I may start buying Apple stock here at some point. Disappointed I have not for all these years.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Carl Icahn was completely wrong on AAPL because he thought China would be a long term problem. 😂

I remember laughing at him when he sold because his original premise for buying was so solid. No clue why he got spooked into selling at the bottom.
He is an intelligent, wealthy investor — and he got it very wrong. He still made billions, but he certainly left money in the table. It just goes to show you that even the “experts” get it wrong sometimes. So nobody should feel bad if they missed it!

And remember,  is not the only good investment opportunity out there.

Comment

mech986

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2017
SoCal USA
I'm still hoping for a dip tomorrow to buy. I missed it few days ago as money took few days to clear and now its out the buy zone. :(

Lets hope there will be an opportunity soon :)

Depending on how many shares you buy, would a few dollars here or there really matter? So many people want to wait till the stock price “comes down” to save a few bucks, not realizing that they may be waiting a long time for some external event to spook the market and drag down AAPL with it. Happened but can you be sure you’ll get it? Put in your open order for $390 and see if it will ever happen again.

What's that make the current cap? $2 trillion coming soon.

At the end of Friday trading, market cap was $1.84T. At the reported 4.34B shares outstanding, AAPL would need to pass $460, only 8% more, to cross $2T market cap. If you had told me it might be that by end of 2020, I’d have laughed. Now I think it may happen before end of August.

At this point, I feel like using my emergency savings to buy Apple stock. Some of my investments are in Apple stock as well as other technology companies, but I want to own some of it directly. Its just the uncertainties of this year makes me wary of doing that.

There is plenty of uncertainty, yes, but what is the US and every government doing? They are all trying to bolster and support their economies. That accommodative stance will keep companies that are well run afloat. AAPL is in an enviable position of making products everyone can use especially in this time of quarantine and WFH, in addition to online education and communications. Apple’s Q4 will be more of the same as kids and grads take on online school so Macs and iPad’s will continue YOY growth, and sales of discounted older iPhones will keep iPhone sales moving. And because Apple device sales this quarter were very good, the installed base increased, especially with new Apple users or Android switchers, so guess what, they buy new apps and use new services. Which means services revenue will increase again beyond $14B.

Yes, uncertainty abounds but Apple certainty is pretty well designed in and being executed. Take some money and invest in AAPL if you can, but do have emergency money available if you lose your job or illness strikes.

Probably selling Apple tomorrow. Good news though. Due to crash a bit next quarter.

Hope you did at beginning of the day, you got another $22 gain but missed out in additional $18. Any pullback would be limited to about 5-8%

Last edited:
Comment

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
That's a doomed company, for sure! Apple can't survive without Steve Jobs! Apple will never become a trillion-dollar company! Smartphones are a commodity, so no one will buy expensive iPhones!
/s

All of these things have been said about Apple in the past by self-proclaimed experts (idiots).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.