Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced financial results for the second fiscal quarter (first calendar quarter) of 2016. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $50.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $10.5 billion, or $1.90 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $58 billion and net quarterly profit of $13.6 billion, or $2.33 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. As expected, the year-over-year decline in quarterly revenue was the first for Apple since 2003.

Gross margin for the quarter was 39.4 percent compared to 40.8 percent in the year-ago quarter, with international sales accounting for 67 percent of revenue. Apple also declared an increased quarterly dividend payment of $0.57 per share, up from $0.52. The dividend is payable on May 12 to shareholders of record as of May 9. The company currently holds $233 billion in cash and marketable securities, partially offset by $77 billion in long-term debt.

In addition to the increase in the dividend payment, Apple says it will once again expand its share repurchase authorization by an additional $35 billion to $175 billion and the company says it expects to spend over $250 billion in cash under its capital return program by the end of March 2018.

linechartq2.png

Apple sold 51.1 million iPhones during the quarter, down from 61.2 million a year earlier, while Mac sales were 4.03 million units, down from from 4.56 million units in the year-ago quarter. iPad sales were also down once again, falling to 10.25 million from 12.6 million.
"Our team executed extremely well in the face of strong macroeconomic headwinds," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We are very happy with the continued strong growth in revenue from Services, thanks to the incredible strength of the Apple ecosystem and our growing base of over one billion active devices."
Apple's guidance for the third quarter of fiscal 2016 includes expected revenue of $41-43 billion and gross margin between 37.5 and 38 percent.

piechartq2.png

Apple will provide live streaming of its fiscal Q2 2016 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Conference Call and Q&A Highlights are available in reverse chronological order after the jump.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Reports First Year-Over-Year Revenue Decline Since 2003: $10.5B Profit on $50.6B in Revenue

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Apple, if you were holding back on any innovative new features, iPhone 7 is the time, don't wait for iPhone 7S for that curved OLED screen...

I recall there was mention that Steve Jobs had charted the way for future iPhones... did the roadmap just go up to iPhone 6?

I wouldn't blame this on market saturation. Samsung has a great strategy, they are pulling out a lot of stops to get their sales up. I expect Apple having the ability to do the same. May this be a wakeup call.

I don't want to pick up the next Samsung Galaxy phone if the iPhone 7 ends up being a drop in the bucket. A touch home button, and camera enhancements without OIS exclusive to a bigger plus version, won't cut it for me.

Not that 10.5B is anything low, though for a company like Apple, who has done what was considered impossible... maintaining growing numbers since the launch of a product 13 years ago... this should come as a surprise.

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
For everyone who constantly discredits Steve Jobs contributions, the man did do something at Apple. He didn't write code/source parts from vendors etc, but he gave direction as he knew what to work on. Tim Cook isn't the same visionary; the numbers show this. Apple needs to **focus** on building fewer products and making them the best.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I am surprised that they did not pre-announce this miss. They should have known about it for a while (judging by the size of the miss).

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
Reality setting in. Too large of market cap for growth, saturated phone/tablet market, new products failed to match success of previous launches, no promising news in sight.

I don't see it as a failure, but rather a company that did the impossible over and over, finally coming back down to earth. It's sad but we all knew it would happen one day.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
maybe this will mean apple will finally update macbook airs, pros and the mac mini.

Yes, I'm sure that's what it means. I'll bet you Cook has called all of his department heads and told them to start informing everyone they have to work overtime this weekend until they're out the door. Look for them to start shipping on Monday. :rolleyes:

Reactions: tardegrade

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
iPhone unit sales actually "beat," but the ARPU fell so revenue was a major miss. Now the iPhone SE's pricing makes lots of sense.

Mac sales were down to 4.03 million ($5.1 billion), and iPad was down to 10.25 million units at $4.41 billion. That, plus the resale value of the 12.9" iPad Pro lead me to believe the big iPad isn't selling well (but hopefully the new 9.7" iPad Pro will sell well).

Reactions: AleXXXa

djpuma

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Yes, I'm sure that's what it means. I'll bet you Cook has called all of his department heads and told them to start informing everyone they have to work overtime this weekend until they're out the door. Look for them to start shipping on Monday. :rolleyes:
Sweet,
I know I could count on Cook.

Reactions: milo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.