Apple Reports Q3 2015 Earnings of $10.7B on $49.6B Revenue: 47.5M iPhones, 10.9M iPads, 4.8M Macs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced financial results for the third fiscal quarter and second calendar quarter of 2015. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $49.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $10.7 billion, or $1.85 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $37.4 billion and net quarterly profit of $7.7 billion, or $1.28 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter.

Gross margin for the quarter was 39.7 percent compared to 39.4 percent in the year-ago quarter, with international sales accounting for 64 percent of revenue. Apple also declared an upcoming dividend payment of $0.52 per share, payable on August 13 to shareholders of record as of August 10. The company currently holds $202.8 billion in cash and marketable securities.

Apple sold 47.5 million iPhones during the quarter, up from 35.2 million a year earlier, while Mac sales registered 4.8 million units, up from 4.4 million units in the year-ago quarter. iPad sales continued to decline, however, falling to 10.9 million from 13.3 million.
"We had an amazing quarter, with iPhone revenue up 59 percent over last year, strong sales of Mac, all-time record revenue from services, driven by the App Store, and a great start for Apple Watch," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The excitement for Apple Music has been incredible, and we're looking forward to releasing iOS 9, OS X El Capitan and watchOS 2 to customers in the fall."
Apple's guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015 includes expected revenue of $49-51 billion and gross margin between 38.5 and 39.5 percent.

Apple will provide live streaming of its fiscal Q3 2015 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Conference Call and Q&A Highlights are available in reverse chronological order after the jump.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Reports Q3 2015 Earnings of $10.7B on $49.6B Revenue: 47.5M iPhones, 10.9M iPads, 4.8M Macs

Reactions: xerexes1

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Wasn't one of the previous prediction articles on MR predicting 49+Mil iPhone units?

ijeffgarden

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Miami, FL
How do the actual numbers compare with the last minute predictions ? I thought I read they were expected to move more iPhones than that but I don't remember all the details

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Down 7% already after hours. Wall Street sees the future growth slowing down for iPhones. Their stock will be a function of iPhone and nothing more. I've said before that as soon as iPhone growth slows due to global saturation, and potential upgrade cycles slow as well, the stock will get crucified. That day is nearing.
EDIT: Will be interesting to see if the earnings call can bounce it back if Tim gives any confidence towards timing of iPhone cycles and what type of cycle they expect with the 6s.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
That's not true at all. They said, since before the watch even went on sale, that they were intentionally not going to release the numbers for competitive reasons.
I think they said that just in case it didn't perform as well as they expected. The watch is obviously making Apple money, but I don't think it's selling well. IMO

Last edited:

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Anyone know why watch sales aren't included?
Because it's a very small number compared with iPhone sales.
They always planned to keep the watch sales secret.
And it allows them to still say at their next keynote that "customers are loving the Apple Watch" and "it's been an amazing success" etc, without ever having to back that up with sales figures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.