Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I think Intel is running up against some technical issues on a self imposed schedule. Its similar to what Apple is doing in rolling out new versions of macOS every year. Intel was trying to roll out a tick/tock strategy devised by the marketing department and the engineering team has faltered in keep up with that. Even with Kaybe lake things are not going too quick.
It must be probably because of that small processor chips

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
As much as it hurts me to say this, magicschoolbus is right. While Tim and the boys and girls have been spending who knows how much money on a car for 2021, Macs have been allowed to sit in a 2012 box and boxes. No, for gosh sake, don't do a new monitor, make your customers go somewhere else. Don't spend any money on performance upgrades for the any of the desktop boxes and blame it on Intel while other companies don't have this problem. Continue to make the graphic professionals go somewhere else to get the graphic performance they need. And for gosh sake, don't help out the MacPro, you remember that machine, the "don't tell us we can't innovate" machine. Nothing is more maddening to me as a from the first Mac supporter, than to watch this new leadership simply forget the Mac. Apple has become a phone and service busines with little regard for hardware. The thing is, they could be both. With $7.7 Billion in profits they could not show a little love on the boxes that started the whole thing? Sure wish someone was back.
Thank you! What I am saying is Apple is catering and chasing the market they are in, developed, and are leading. They have a device in over a billion peoples hands all with access to the Apple stores.

Putting money into new Macs and hoping they will generate them market share is a dead end for Apple. They know what they have currently and all eyes, focus, hands, and R&D is focused on iToys. There is no point in Apple at this point trying to gain market share in this segment anymore- How many times did you see Steve Jobs say PC computing is dead. You know what he also meant? Laptop computing is dead. Everything will eventually be done on Apple's iToys and the iPad Pro is a trial for this. If it takes off (which it has) I wouldn't be surprised to see them begin to make different iPad sizes that have keyboards the same sizes of their Macbook and Macbook Pro's and eventually just phase out their laptops altogether. They already control this market. Like it or not iOS is the future that people are going to be computing on. A dumbed down computer for the masses.

This statement looks more and more true the longer the MacBooks sit in their "2012 Boxes".

Reactions: polbit

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Huge beat.

Enjoy your shorts now.

Glad I added more shares instead of listening to the "experts" on this forum.
[doublepost=1469634998][/doublepost]
iPhone sales beat expectations hence why the stock is up after hours. You can't compare a brand new phone to a phone that's been on the market for 9 months.

Especially when that 9 month old phone is still outselling your brand new phone.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
"Maestri: We faced a very difficult quarter with Macs compared to the year-ago quarter, when we launched a new MacBook Pro and iMac."

Well no **** people don't want to buy 2-3 year-old hardware

Well, I don't. But it looks like Apple is abandoning the demanding users and focusing on customers who don't care what's in it. Most customers buy it because of the brand and it's easy to use. They don't even know what's a i7 or i5. That's the group Apple seems to be targeting now. Apple isn't interested in their pro users or techies. Those group are being abandoned by Apple and, like you and me, too demanding for the latest and the greatest. As we made up a fraction from their customers they rather have the other customers. Apple is the new Prada, Gucci from the computer industry.

Reactions: otternonsense

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
The Spikes and Valleys are getting bigger each year.

Is it just me or does this:

Screen-Shot-2016-07-26-at-4.37.01-PM-800x559.jpg

resemble this:

godzilla-2014-movie-trailer-official-warner-bros-2-750x500.jpg

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
I just bought one yesterday for $200 off at Best Buy. Great device at a great price. If your friends are still in the market, get them to buy one. 32GB for $399 and 128GB for $549. I got the 128GB. Use the student discount at Best Buy (you don't need proof). They are already $100 off and students get another $100 off.

Thanks for this. I just picked up a 32GB for $399. I would not have known this without your note.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I believe this is the opposite. The more and more I learned about computers, after having been the "casual base" consumer for years buying Dells, Asus and Gateways that would chit the bed on me with amber lights of doom caused me to study up on Mac computers, something I was totally against due to their high prices and venom on forums from PC users...I purchased first a 2012 mac mini, which I loved, moving up to a 2013 iMac 27 inch and now have a Late 2015 5K iMac.
Macs used to have great value, but it's declining every year. They used to be state-of-the-art AND upgradeable. Most people don't need most powerful computer when they buy it, but beause of the power AND upgradeably they could use them many more years than now. 7 years old mac can handle a lot now, but new mac can't handle things 7 years from now. A mac with high price isn't worth now like it was only few years ago.

Bodygard

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
Apple is using the same recipe every year, like forever...and they hope it works forever? No.
Market is changing, Samsung is better than ever but most importantly, Chinese brands are building better and better smartphones every year for incredible low prices. Huawei is growing, Xiaomi is coming to the US sooner or later, Lenovo now with Motorola onboard also has a word to say. And small brands too are becoming very competitive.

The time where you pay $700-$800 to get a good smartphone is coming to an end. They are holding on to the iOS ecosystem and yes, it's still the best but Android is catching up. In the high end, the market is saturated too. They came out with the SE but need to do more.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Exactly, Apple is doing well. The 6 line of phones are pretty darn good and people might upgrade over 3 years versus 2. Plus carriers are eliminating the subsidies as well....and the will effect sales to some degree.

The one time Apple misses and the stock goes up almost 7%...go figure.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Exactly, Apple is doing well. The 6 line of phones are pretty darn good and people might upgrade over 3 years versus 2. Plus carriers are eliminating the subsidies as well....and the will effect sales to some degree.

On one hand I think the subsidies will slow down upgrades, "oh, I can go a year and save $20-$30 a month?" but I think some of the upgrade yearly programs might increase upgrades.

Gary

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple missed a big opportunity for iPad Pro 9.7. The price is just too high. I have had one and loved it, but many friends of mine just get turned off by the high price.
True.

Apple's ability to sell at obscenely high prices is fading. The magic has vanished, they're facing a new reality.

Time to learn about innovation.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.