Apple Requiring New and Updated Apps to Support iPhone XS Max and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Starting March 27

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that all new and updated iPhone and iPad apps submitted to the App Store on and after March 27, 2019 must be built with the iOS 12.1 SDK or later and support the iPhone XS Max and/or the latest 12.9-inch iPad Pro. App Store screenshots for those devices will also be required.

[​IMG]

Likewise, all new apps and app updates for Apple Watch will need to be built with the watchOS 5.1 SDK or later and support the Apple Watch Series 4.

Article Link: Apple Requiring New and Updated Apps to Support iPhone XS Max and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Starting March 27

2. lyricthejoe Contributor

lyricthejoe

Awesome! Not going to miss seeing those bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

About time! It shouldn't be that difficult for developers to make these adjustments.....

4. BigBossTony macrumors newbie

BigBossTony

what about 11-inch iPad Pro? a lot of apps still not running in fullscreen...

5. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

6. digidow macrumors newbie

digidow

Does that mean Instagram is finally going to be iPad friendly?

7. azdolan macrumors member

No because there isn’t an iPad app.

8. Remy149 macrumors 6502

No because they don’t offer an iPad app so they aren’t required to follow anything but the iPhone standards

9. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

10. palmerc2, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019

palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Is this referring to the screen resolution for the apps?

There’s a few apps I use daily which are made for iPhone X resolution, and not the XS Max. They still work, but they appear stretched. Would this new guideline require the developer to increase the resolution to work natively on XS Max?

A notable app not updated for XS Max is Amazon (shopping) app. Prime video, Amazon music, and Audible are all updated while Prime Photos, Amazon Drive, and Amazon shopping remain with X resolution. I sincerely don’t understand how apps aren’t updated yet. Certainly the developers notice....or do they simply not care?

11. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

12. now i see it macrumors 68040

so most apps from idies will probably not be updated again due to the hassle factor.

13. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Great news. It’s been unfortunate to pay so much for a big screen and not get the value.

14. LamiaFarjana1990 macrumors newbie

LamiaFarjana1990

I have iPhone XR. Does it mean apps will be updated for XR too?

15. csurfr macrumors 68020

Right?! The 11” iPad Pro is my most regretted Apple purchase. Months later I’m still seeing apps get “updated” but they are still running at 10.5” iPad size. Utterly annoying.

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Agreed. With the aspect ratio change, this model has struggled to have even popular apps fit the screen.

17. simplynando, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019

simplynando macrumors 6502

simplynando

6 months later for XS Max support. With this new requirement now apps will just hold their updates....mark my words.

HBO GO was finally updated to the new iPad Pro screens YESTERDAY. I'm not an app developer so I don't know the work required, but the updates seem insanely slow.

18. subjonas macrumors 68020

12.9 came out in 2015. They’re starting to require support 4 years later...

19. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Ahhhh they require them to support either one of the two devices. This sucks, they should make it obligatory for both!!

20. SlaunchaMan macrumors newbie

SlaunchaMan

Now if only they would mandate that iPad apps need to work in landscape. I’m so tired of apps that are portrait-only on iPhone being ported over to iPad, and I launch them when using my iPad with its keyboard, and the app is locked to portrait.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2019 ---
    The way I read it, this means that iPad-compatible apps must support the Pro, and iPhone-compatible apps must support the XS Max. This support comes automatically when you have a launch storyboard and compile with Xcode 10.1, so really this requirement is about the SDK version and the way you support multiple screen sizes.

21. AgentElliot007 macrumors 6502

I love and hate the 11” iPad Pro. It’s far and away the best iPad I’ve ever owned, but with so many apps running in the smaller mode, it’s also super frustrating. Still can’t figure out what compelled them to make a single iPad in all the iPad lineups a different aspect ratio. Seems incredibly short sighted unless all iPads are going to this aspect ratio, but why not then the 12.9” iPad as well?!? I don’t get it at all.

22. alvincth macrumors newbie

alvincth

There are still many apps that are not supported even screen resolution of iPhone X, especially those by Hong Kong developers. Some of them have updates recently, but not meeting iPhone X requirements.

I don't know why Apple is working hard in controlling apps in the US and Europe but don't care about apps in other regions.

I thus emailed to Apple but they have not replied for long.

nwfb.jpg hko.jpg

23. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

I certainly hope that you are right. Because as of now, many apps like amazon for example have a nice looking iPhone compatible app but with huge black bars on the iPad 11”.

24. WilliamG macrumors G3

Right?? No joke...

25. davidangel macrumors member

Interesting that a lot of devs seemingly haven’t found it important to add support until Apple forced them to. Wonder if that says anything about product demand/usage.