Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fragment

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2021
If that is showing touch interaction on the sides...I'm already "holding it wrong". Perhaps this will give interaction on both sides of the phone. That would be cool.

Reactions: SFjohn

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
Wow... way more negativity on this thread than I expected. This will take what..? at least a decade to become reality? BUT it is inevitable. IMO, The Expanse is as accurate a look at our future as you'll find, at least in a SciFi TV show. All of the "IT" tech the characters in that show have/use will come to be... in some form or another. Personally, I'm excited, and not the least bit worried about shattering or heat disapation... there's a whole lot more inventing left to be done before those become concerns that need addressing.

• Love
Reactions: Bobcat32 and SFjohn

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It’s a patent, nothing else. Idea is interesting but how it would be implemented remains to be seen, if at all

Reactions: lfaa

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I would trade the glass back with contact charging for an aluminum back without contact charging any day. The iPhone 5 series was so wonderfully light because of the choice of aluminum instead of glass.
Not so. The iPhone 5 was wonderfully light because its internals were less dense and it came with a smaller display. It was also physically smaller and thinner. The weight difference between iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 was about 10g after the 8 added a glass back and wireless charging, which is hardly going to be noticeable. Most of the weight these days are from the much larger battery and heavier internals. For example the iPhone 5 had a 1400mah battery vs a 2400mah battery on the 13 mini.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Just like every futuristic device in movies that are entirely transparent... apparently no one ever drops anything in the future.

Add to that... all these movies have giant wall-sized monitors with oddly monochrome imagery... and you can see people walking behind it because it's transparent glass.

Why would I want to see through a screen? That sounds like a nightmare!

I'll stick to solid monitors, thank you!

:p

Reactions: Pro Apple Silicon

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Remember the old clear, see-through Power Mac G4 mouses? A phone like that would look pretty sweet.

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha?

iu

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
USPTO intern must've been asleep when this was granted since it's obvious based on prior art with edge and back screen displays on phones so this is just an extension of that. It'll likely end up getting revoked like Apple's multi-touch, slide to unlock, bounce back, etc.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
If I can't properly protect my device from damage, especially broken glass, I'm out. Not even gonna give it a chance. What I would do is buy the last model and just keep it till they change the design back to something normal. There should be an audit as to how much money apple makes on people replacing their broken devices. Not gonna play that game.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.