Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I still have an old SE for work and the aluminium back feels great, but I assume titanium wouldn't really solve the wireless charging issue.

More than anything, Apple needs to get rid of the glass backs, at least for the non-pro models. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but bring back plastic(ish). The resin back of the Pixel 5 feels amazing, is lighter and less prone to shattering and scratches.

Give us an iPhone you might actually be able to use without a case. Phones have become way to fragile and at the same time indispensable in daily life.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Well that's not true - high gloss finishes are always grippy in the hand. Matte isn't as it doesn't stick to the hand - think sucker pads, they only grip to smooth gloss.
I have fingers, not suckers. The textured finish of fingers does not provide suction.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
I’d imagine these would even more expensive. I don’t know how Apple’s supply chain works, but I believe the US government still gets first dibs on titanium procurement for national security purposes. That was the reason stated to me when I asked why a particular part of a scientific instrument was ridiculously expensive ($12k in 1999 dollars).
I concur, same issue.

Also, couldn't people just handle their equipment a little more sanely to begin with, so expensive materials--sourced problematically from China and Russia to begin with--wouldn't be needed? Or is that too much to ask?

WhatDoYouGuysWannaDo

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
I'd like to point out that as far as I'm aware, the issues with parts being brittle and breaking on the Titanium PowerBooks was due to the hinges actually being mostly aluminum, except for the dowel and the part that attaches to the computer. The part that broke was the aluminum L that attached to the display. Only the back of the display, bottom cover, and top cover were actually even titanium. The port cover on the back and the trackpad button were both stainless steel, and the bezel trim on the display was aluminum. The outside frame was just plastic! That plastic part was where most of the paint would peel off. I figured this out once when I had one in pieces and decided to strip off all of the paint, just for fun. The stainless parts came out really nice and shiny, and I love the look of the unpainted titanium. Even with fingerprints on it and other smears, it looks amazing. I wish they would just make one like that!

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
The image of the PowerBook G4 in this post looks almost unrecognizable by today's standards -- and I was working for AppleCare when these were basically current models, so I should have them deeply-etched into my brain! Omfg, the hinges were awful, and would almost certainly break after a few years of moderate use.

Our machines may not be perfect (720p FaceTime camera, give me a break) but it's amazing to see how far they've come. Thankfully we once again have keyboards that actually work!

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I don’t understand the automatic assumption that titanium is more durable. Aluminum is great. All metals outside of vibranium have trade offs. Titanium has different trade offs. It’s hard to work with and can be soft. It’s expensive because it’s hard to work with despite being very common.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Those old Titanium Powerbooks certainly didn’t wear well - the area on either side of the trackpad wore pretty badly over time, and eventually looked rather trashy. Apple would really need to get it exactly right if they decided to move forward with Round 2.
Agreed, everything's back to the future once more. Knowing :apple: they'll nail the case/design this time round & chuck a butterfly keyboard back in to ruin the user experience! ?
I was so sad when they got rid of it! I've actually come to appreciate that it doesn't glow now, just for working in the dark or trying to be a bit more subtle in client settings etc. But I still miss it.
Don't worry, I'm sure TC could ask Craig to include an on/off switch in MacOS to dim the :apple: backlight, though I suspect it'll be a long time coming with TC at the helm as I reckon it was removed due to costs (both in manufacturing & for replacement top covers).

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Every company goes for better surfaces noways, all for the same goal "so people can relax bumbling their devices and not get beat up" (a textured Mac may withstand more heaver beatings than one that's not)

iPhone's have gorilla glass because people would be more pone to smash it than anywhere else, so it gets the best protection. 2nd would be the back and corners.

But these look kinda stylish.. That could still be seem as some sort of hypnotism

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
MacBook casings are not high gloss.

No where does it say gloss or high gloss in the article, you pulled that term from nowhere.

Further reading shows that it says they are “reflective and refractive.” Which is exactly what the current chassis is. See below a picture of my “space gray” being reflective and refractive

Attachments

• EF7BF9BA-BF4D-4EA3-84A4-5D2A1F213C22.jpeg
    EF7BF9BA-BF4D-4EA3-84A4-5D2A1F213C22.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 49

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Those old Titanium Powerbooks certainly didn’t wear well - the area on either side of the trackpad wore pretty badly over time, and eventually looked rather trashy. Apple would really need to get it exactly right if they decided to move forward with Round 2.
IRC the TiBooks were painted which is why they didn't wear well.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Hopefully lighter too since even the MBA is a brick by today's standard with 2# laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.