Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
They're talking about transmitting data through the smart cover hinge - from the breakdowns and exterior of the new iPad, it's pretty clear there is nothing there to transmit data through that hinge.

Bluetooth? Not much bandwidth, I know, and no use for charging. But possibly enough bandwidth to enable some form of external data display. Or possibly wi-fi...

muncyweb

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Great. Just what I was looking for... A way to let everybody knows what I'm listening and/or what's my planning for the day...
/sarcasm

Seriously, the keyboard and energy cells sounds nice...

Yeah, I don't really understand the first diagram. Why would you want controlls and a display on the back while you're looking at the iPad screen??

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
I don't really see a big value to the epaper display cover. Why not just have a clear cover then - would it really save that much in battery life for notifications. However, I am interested in the external epaper devices that will work with iPhones and perhaps iPads like Pebble watches. Seems a little more useful as you would not necessarily have to look at your iPad to see an epaper version of what is on your iPad. Of course, if you have to be too close to the thing maybe it does not matter.

I did buy a Rocketfish keyboard case for my iPad 1. For long bouts of typing I wanted an external, full sized keyboard. For general note taking the iPad on screen keyboard has been fine and the form fitting keyboard cases have the same smallish keyboard so don't seem as nice to me.

Solar charging sounds pretty cool. I think the charging needs of the new iPad are such that it would serve more to slow down the rate of discharge rather than provide a full charging - but that is cool too.

marsk

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
"Don't forget to call Steve back after launch"

My heart burst in tears when I read that line.... Remind us Steve was still around when they filed this patent...

Halamire

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
Anyone else notice that when using the keyboard on the smart cover there is a kickstand to hold the iPad up?

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
ipad_smart_cover_status.jpg

Now Playing...

Greek midget gangbang 9

genkihito

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Why does this post ignore the referred site's request?

The site clearly asks referring sites to only post two photos, seems like nobody is going to the actual referred site thinking they have seen all the article has to offer in this write up...

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Bluetooth? Not much bandwidth, I know, and no use for charging. But possibly enough bandwidth to enable some form of external data display. Or possibly wi-fi...

Well, the charging thing would only be marginally useful. They could just skip that feature and go with a keyboard/notification thing. They'll have to drop one of those features, unless they put the keyboard and notifications on the same side? They really should be on opposite sides though, so the keyboard is there when you have it open, and the notifications are there when you have it closed.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Seems desperate, only "covering" their bums

With Microsoft 1-upping the smart cover with built in keyboard and touch pad, of course Apple has to follow suit by at least releasing patents to avoid competitors building more competitive functionality into a tablet cover.

I doubt Apple will implement any of this as it seems very desperate. Why do I need a secondary display on a tablet cover when the tablet screen is just right there. Are we so lazy a society that I can't flip open a tablet cover.

Why offer touch features that isn't a keyboard when the whole point of a tablet is to provide a touch display. Also I doubt Apple would want to make their iPad appear like a glorified solar calculator by having solar panel cover.

Also I think Microsoft pretty much has this concept patented when they came out with their "auxiliary screen" concept back when Windows XP came out, all laptops were going to offer a second screen on the cover for quick lookup of information and status.

This completely goes against Apple's comment about mashing together disparate devices, like a PC/Tablet combo. This seems like Apple wants to mash a toaster with a slightly different type of toaster as I don't see any reason to combine a tablet with a display and touch with a cover with a display and touch.

This seems to be Apple's biggest competitive move, swallow up as many similar patents as possible and then sue the crap out of anybody actually coming out with a feature that uses it. Apple has more patents in reserve then products, they are becoming one of the biggest patent trolls on the planet.

Apple should just simply feel secure about the quality of their devices and the "zen-like" simplicity of their designs, and leave the conglomeration of devices and features to companies like Microsoft and Google. They really don't have to resort to patenting garbage ideas for the same of staving of mythical competition.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Since a certain company from Redmond already has introduced the "keyboard in a cover", there would now be "prior art" even if Apple received a patent for it - hence Apple's patent, would they get it, could be easily invalidated.

Proving that there was "prior art" is the most effective way to kill a patent. If it weren't, some idiot would already have patented the wheel or the roman alphabet.

Apple's patent was from 2011. It may be that MS has an earlier patent(s), but either way, the details matter.

Apple and MS both have strong IP ties so I doubt that we would ever hear anything public WRT cross licensing to avoid infringement between the two parties.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Two screws through the case connector and Apple has invented the flip phone.

Though, of course, I can't wait until the retina notification bars.

But seriously, does this look like an apple product or some junk out of japan in the 1990s?

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012

Since any kind of e-ink display will be very low refresh, not a lot of bandwidth is needed.

There are even "1-wire" serial protocols that could be used to send low-haul data through magnetic hinges.

tlm327

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Before anyone whines about how the Surface has a cover with a keyboard, from everything I've seen, that cover doesn't fold into the triangle - it stays flat.

average consumer won't know the difference and will still whine about Apple copying the Surface

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Before anyone whines about how the Surface has a cover with a keyboard, from everything I've seen, that cover doesn't fold into the triangle - it stays flat.

Surface's cover copies several iPad keyboard covers already on sale for the iPad. I was about to order one for mine this week.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Patents like these are VERY forward thinking "intellectual property hedges". They come up with an idea, they patent it, then they determine if it is possible, then if it is commercially feasible (profitable). Sometimes these are not to prepare for a new product coming, but to prevent others from making it. Don't expect to see these anytime soon, or at all.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
average consumer won't know the difference and will still whine about Apple copying the Surface
The article says its a new filing but it was submitted in 2011. Plus there are quite keyboard covers for the iPad that look and work like the surface cover, and they are already for sale from Apples site.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
With Microsoft 1-upping the smart cover with built in keyboard and touch pad, of course Apple has to follow suit by at least releasing patents to avoid competitors building more competitive functionality into a tablet cover.

I doubt Apple will implement any of this as it seems very desperate. Why do I need a secondary display on a tablet cover when the tablet screen is just right there. Are we so lazy a society that I can't flip open a tablet cover.
Dude don't believe the hype! The article says new but this was filed in August of last year. They don't mention this until the end of the article of course. Apple already had these patents filed long before Microsoft showed something that won't be on sale for another 2 months. And the cover with a built in keyboard has been done multiple times for the iPad like the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad that is sold on Apple's site.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
For a moment I really thought that the designer really did write "Pickup laundry." I wasn't thinking it was a part of the design.

I've written things like that on say bank/credit card statements and on the sidelines of homework/assignments/graded tests.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
The more they add to the iPad, the closer it gets to being a MBA-like device with a detachable keyboard/power supply/magic cover/etc.

I have an iPad (3) and am underwhelmed by it: not as powerful as an Air, not small enough to be convenient to carry around, slow and handicapped by the limitations of iOS.

I use it a lot (I own it so I might as well use it), but think it is a flawed device.

For me, a MBA and pocket-sized iPad with a useable file system and multi-user accounts would hit the sweet spot.

Oh, and one with 4G that works outside of a handful of countries. I bought my "4G" in the UK and was told twice by Apple Store staff that it would work with UK 4G. Apple's customer service for the iPad 3 has been lamentable.

News flash: you are not the majority. Apple ( or any one) doesn't design products for a single person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.