Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
I could care less about what Samsung does. I was just saying Apple is catching up to having something feature rich and useful. The iPhone for me has been pretty dry because the upgrades are so minor it's not practical for me to keep getting the latest and greatest because the latest and greatest isn't all that latest.

You know quality vs. quantity. Apple does not like adding useless features just for marketing,

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/23/apple-ceo-tim-cook-upcoming-products/

kimvette

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Samsung did all these first but once this iPhone hits the market expect Apple to sue Samsung for infringement on their design.

Of course Fanbois who have been saying such features in a phone such as the Galaxy S4 are pointless will at that point be praising Apple for their innovation and be proclaiming that any phone without these features is crap, and will also be claiming that Samsung merely copied Apple.

;)

Seriously though, introduce a user-replaceable battery and an SD slot and I would probably come back to the iPhone.

----------

I could care less about what Samsung does.

So what you're saying is that you do care. . . ;)

----------

You know quality vs. quantity. Apple does not like adding useless features just for marketing,

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/23/apple-ceo-tim-cook-upcoming-products/

Features that you find useful, others might find pointless. Perspective of individualized needs, my friend.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Why would that be so awesome? If we are with our watches (which, presumably, we are) then we know what the weather is. We are there! Who cares what the exact values of humidity etc. are? If we are sweating, it is humid, and so on. Incidentally, awesome is a rather overused word, I feel. If Jesus came to Earth and ended famine and disease overnight, that would be awesome. A watch... any watch... it's not actually awesome, is it?

I was actually going to respond until I read that nothing can be "awesome" unless Jesus himself is involved. :rolleyes:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Why exactly? Just curious.

I'm into amateur meteorology. I know this information is readily available in one of the many weather apps on my phone. But having real time, accurate sensors built into my device would be very cool. And even if they aren't included in the 6 (which I doubt they will be) it won't be too long before they are.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Why would that be so awesome? If we are with our watches (which, presumably, we are) then we know what the weather is. We are there! Who cares what the exact values of humidity etc. are?

Pilots care what the temperature and humidity and air pressure is.

Okay, it's an edge case, but then so is the iPad being used as a flight bag, and people brag on that all the time :)

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I'd love to know what the weather is like in my pocket. Warm and humid I guess.

Yeah, I don't need the weather inside my pocket. I'm good with that. I need the weather at 10,000 feet on the side of a mountain. Or an accurate barometric pressure reading as a storm approaches. That's what i need. And I'm actually hoping that a wireless, hand held anemometer isn't too far off.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
THIS is what i've been waiting for! No reason we shouldn't have weather sensors on our phones. Temp, humidity, barometer, etc. Would be so awesome.

And if you think the deluge of Flashlight apps was bad, just wait til the deluge of weather station apps pops up when a unit (iPhone 7 perhaps?) comes out with this.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
I was actually going to respond until I read that nothing can be "awesome" unless Jesus himself is involved. :rolleyes:

Your :rolleyes: (I hate those things) suggests you have jumped to a conclusion too quickly: "There's another religious nutter." As I pointed out to somebody else who responded to this, I am not in fact religious, but I certainly would be full of awe were such a thing to happen. However, I am not expecting it to. Awesome was used by the person to whom I responded, in the form of slang, but not according to its strict definition. Confusingly for people who use the word simply in place of "great or cool", one of its synonyms in the English language (perhaps as opposed to the American teen film version) is "dreadful", which is a term that would be lost on many, in that context. I care about the English language, and try to use it properly.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Samsung did all these first but once this iPhone hits the market expect Apple to sue Samsung for infringement on their design.

Of course Fanbois who have been saying such features in a phone such as the Galaxy S4 are pointless will at that point be praising Apple for their innovation and be proclaiming that any phone without these features is crap, and will also be claiming that Samsung merely copied Apple.

;)

Seriously though, introduce a user-replaceable battery and an SD slot and I would probably come back to the iPhone.

----------

So what you're saying is that you do care. . . ;)

Yes because they're the ones that still allow me to make my phone my phone

----------

Features that you find useful, others might find pointless. Perspective of individualized needs, my friend.

Yes which is why Samsung for me seems to be the only functional brand for me since I can increase the battery and storage capacity myself.

MalusSylvestris

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2013
This is hardly new stuff. I've had a wristwatch for over 10 years (Suunto Observer) with a pressure sensor and thermometer in it. The pressure sensor can work either as an altimeter (if you assume constant sea-level pressure) or a barometer (if you stay at constant altitude).

Heck, I had a Casio watch back in about 1990 with a thermometer on it!

red.brinkrolf

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2014
Seems pretty cool, seeing as the iWatch is getting. Closer to release, these patents might come into work, unlike some of the other Apple patents which never get used!

Martin1337

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
A pair of patent applications published today by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and spotted by AppleInsider describes how an electronic device such as an iPhone, iPad or even a wristwatch could be used to detect ambient conditions such as temperature, pressure, humidity and sound. The applications appear just as Apple has been rumored to be incorporating such functionality into the iPhone 6, and the company's rumored iWatch has also been said to include an array of sensors.

Now that the new :apple: iPhone is out: What sensors are included after all? I haven't heard any definitive info about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.