Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
Touch ID. Just use Touch ID. It's right there, Touch ID.
I don't mind Apple introducing TouchID as an option, but if you live in a wet country, you'd very much appreciate not fumbling through wiping fingers before you can unlock your screen. Giving users both is the way to go, so you use the one that's suited to how you're using the phone in that moment.

Reactions: boswald

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
The notch doesn’t bother me at all. Please work on making a 2 day battery life on a single charge. That’s more beneficial, ideal and appreciative.

I don’t think Apple itself likes the hole punch idea ? they just want a flat slab of screen. That’s the ultimate iPhone.

Maybe something like this?

View attachment 1814176

Update: I have another idea!

Maybe swipe up and down gesture to show the notch and hide it? This can activate the camera itself as well.
something like this should have always been the idea. never ever should have broken the screen with this weird wrap

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I don't mind Apple introducing TouchID as an option, but if you live in a wet country, you'd very much appreciate not fumbling through wiping fingers before you can unlock your screen. Giving users both is the way to go, so you use the one that's suited to how you're using the phone in that moment.
The trouble is, in order of security, Touch ID is less secure than Face ID, which is less secure than a PIN. So putting Touch ID back in would be a reduction in device security. A bitter pill for anyone to swallow.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iPhone along with Apple Watch need a design overhaul since they're on the uglier side of designs in their product portfolio after the Mac Pro, iPad Pro, MacBook Air, etc.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
The notch doesn’t bother me at all. Please work on making a 2 day battery life on a single charge. That’s more beneficial, ideal and appreciative.

I don’t think Apple itself likes the hole punch idea 😂 they just want a flat slab of screen. That’s the ultimate iPhone.

Maybe something like this?

View attachment 1814176

Update: I have another idea!

Maybe swipe up and down gesture to show the notch and hide it? This can activate the camera itself as well.

I still think they should have done something like this from the beginning:

So basically you want exactly what we have now, but you want the “ears” blacked out? How does that add any value?

businessnumbersmoneypeopl

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2020
Oneplus 7 Pro anyone? That was a short-lived wonder.
Näyttökuva 2021-8-3 kello 19.18.10.png

Reactions: kiensoy and I7guy

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
So incredibly complicated… so unlike Apple. Just shrink the notch by a half or 1/3rd. It’s not that bad… focus on battery life, decreasing weight and better refresh rate… jeez.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
The trouble is, in order of security, Touch ID is less secure than Face ID, which is less secure than a PIN. So putting Touch ID back in would be a reduction in device security. A bitter pill for anyone to swallow.
Rene Ritche did a video on this ages ago. It likely won’t be TouchID alone. Things like TouchID plus proximity of Apple Watch or TouchID plus partially covered face to build up the level of trust.

LukasValine

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
I honestly like this more than the transparent OLED behind the screen camera. Assuming you can make it reliable this would mean no sacrifices in display quality or camera quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.