Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Does this affect iOS 7, iOS 6, iOS 5, iOS 4, or iOS 3?

Lots of iOS devices cannot upgrade past those.

A device that cannot upgrade past iOS3 isn't really Apple's target market. Of course, I guess going back FOUR GENERATIONS isn't enough for some people. Those people are more than welcome to go use any of the myriad Android devices that lose support after a few months.

MacRumors has become the go to spot for Language and Literature experts....

We've really arrived in a sad place when simple middle school grammar is considered "language and literature expertise."

IcePikmin

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
Cue the people who claim that Apple is "forcing them to upgrade" by patching things in new software and who are complaining because they can't seem to get over using iOS6.

Yet they are forcing upgrades. Why can't Apple copy Google Play Services where devices don't have to receive OS updates in order to obtain security updates?

There are literally millions of users out there with vulnerable software because Apple doesn't support them or the user can't upgrade to the latest OS.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Yet they are forcing upgrades. Why can't Apple copy Google Play Services where devices don't have to receive OS updates in order to obtain security updates?

There are literally millions of users out there with vulnerable software because Apple doesn't support them or the user can't upgrade to the latest OS.

Then go use Android. You know what you signed up for, and Apple coddling the lowest common denominator on the laziness scale isn't their business model. Also, sorry, but if you can't get a new phone in FIVE YEARS then perhaps you have more important things to address than owning a smartphone.

Reactions: ksuyen

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I think this is another good reason why it's important to eventually update to the latest iOS the sooner the better. I agree I've been hesitant to always upgrade but it seems Apple fixes a lot of security issues that we don't always know about or that they specifically say in the updated iOS change log. They usually just say something like fixes other security issues if they would specially say patches an exploit about whatever people might be more apt to update right away.

IcePikmin

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
Then go use Android

I am. I have a Nexus 5 and am looking to upgrade to the 6P.

Apple coddling the lowest common denominator on the laziness scale isn't their business model.

Laziness scale? Wow, so harsh. Providing security updates isn't coddling either.

Also, sorry, but if you can't get a new phone in FIVE YEARS then perhaps you have more important things to address than owning a smartphone

- Not everyone has the ability to purchase brand new phones every year.
- Not everyone likes the new iPhones.

The iPhone 4S is on it's last update and people are STILL using that phone because of its size.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Well, actually Microsoft support old devices the same way Apple does.... Windows 8.1 was available even for very old devices, and Windows 10 will be available for many...

Have you forgotten the transition from Windows Phone 7 to 8? Only one device was supported during the transition and many were less than a year old. I owned two phones abandoned during that upgrade.

Reactions: haruhiko

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Actually, Microsoft is allowing all current 8.1 Lumia phones to install Windows Mobile 10 when it's released. I wouldn't go grouping Microsoft Mobile OS support with Android.

Your post makes you look like an apple follower and I can't take you seriously as a result.

Sorry but this one instance doesn't change what has already happened (WP7 to WP8). I have always owned a Microsoft mobile device since the first PocketPC's and still do (HTC One M8 for Windows)...you taking me seriously won't change the fact that you're completely wrong in your assumption, in your judgement of me based on that wrong assumption, and in your history of Windows Phone. Otherwise, nice to meet you!

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
"Apple implemented fixes for YiSpecter in iOS 8.4, so iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9 are immune to the malware."
Macrumors:
You need to fix this. Not only is it a run-on sentence, I can't tell if fix was in 8.4 or 8.4.1
They can't fix your lack of reading comprehension skills. It's not the best sentence in the world, but its meaning is clear.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I am. I have a Nexus 5 and am looking to upgrade to the 6P.

Laziness scale? Wow, so harsh. Providing security updates isn't coddling either.

- Not everyone has the ability to purchase brand new phones every year.
- Not everyone likes the new iPhones.

The iPhone 4S is on it's last update and people are STILL using that phone because of its size.
Um the 4S supports iOS 8 and 9 so 4S users have no excuse not to update. And Apple has patched older software for serious security issues before. Heck there was a 1000 post thread here with people complaining because Apple didn't provide an iOS 6 patch for devices still running it that had iOS 7 pushed to them but users refused to upgrade. I see zero evidence that this is some major security breach affecting millions of people not using iOS 8 or later. I highly doubt these people are installing apps outside the AppStore from untrusted sources. If they are then quite honestly they deserve what they get as Apple is very clear that people should NOT do that.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

Funny! Based on your comment, you make it sound like Android is more secure than iOS. You also act as if updates are flying out the door on Android phones. You are mistaken if you think this is the case.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Why have I been seeing so many articles about Android lately that mention all these security holes that need OS updates to patch them? If it were as simple as issuing an update through Google Play Services, wouldn't all of these holes be a moot point?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
once u get used to where the buttons are it doesn't really matter what language its in :D

I enjoy a challenge, Switch your phone into Spanish and off u go.

rsvsr

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
iPhone 4 is over 5 years old (which is the latest oldest iPhone unsupported) - if you cannot upgrade a phone that is 5 years old to something newer (if you you put $10 each week for 5 years you could purchase two top of the line iPhone 6 phones today - off contract). At some point you have to have a cut off point to stop providing updates and I don't think it is untoward cutting off support for a device that is 5 years old.

However, it was only discontinued in September 2013 (early 2014 in some countries).

Reactions: Count Blah

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Cue the people who claim that Apple is "forcing them to upgrade" by patching things in new software and who are complaining because they can't seem to get over using iOS6.
My iPhone 4S' battery lost nearly 1/2 of it's effectiveness going from ios 6 to ios7. And you will tell me that it's unintentional, right? And yes, I turned off EVERY power hungry setting, restored from backup, fresh install, etc...

Once bitten, twice shy.

Reactions: snowmoon

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
exactly. 8% is still literally tens of millions of users. you can just close your eyes and pretend they aren't there, or that it's only 8%, but they are there.

Unfortunately yes they can, and have done. They will continue to do, and the pace will only increase in speed. Do you really believe the "New every 12" plan is simply to make the process easier for people? It's only a short amount of time before your iPhone is good for 2 yrs tops. :apple:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Easy solution is just not go on Chinese site and/or apps.

Keep on telling people I know not to use we chat but so many people do.
I guess you don't know that in China using WeChat is akin to using TV. In fact, more than TV. Food, water from the store downstairs, taxis etc. Everything is ordered on WeChat.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
I've had that same pop up in Chinese for "follower tool" for Twitter. I'm running iOS 8.4.1 on a NON jail broken iPhone 6 and the app has been updated every time the makers released an update. After seeing this post I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Now the app looks completely different. Therefore, I had the malware on iOS 8.4.1.

Every time the pop up happened I simply closed the app because I could not understand what it was asking me.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I've had that same pop up in Chinese for "follower tool" for Twitter. I'm running iOS 8.4.1 on a NON jail broken iPhone 6 and the app has been updated every time the makers released an update. After seeing this post I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Now the app looks completely different. Therefore, I had the malware on iOS 8.4.1.

Every time the pop up happened I simply closed the app because I could not understand what it was asking me.
Did it ask you to install a profile to your phone?

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
Did it ask you to install a profile to your phone?

Every time it popped up I quit the app. Didn't want to take a risk since it was in Chinese. At the time I had no idea the pop up was malicious just exercised caution.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Every time it popped up I quit the app. Didn't want to take a risk since it was in Chinese. At the time I had no idea the pop up was malicious just exercised caution.
The pop up in the article means that "if you enter the player, and tap the secret button on the right, you can watch special 'you-know-what' videos."

LOL.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There are millions of people on iOS that no doubt don't consistently update because "it might mess my phone up"!
That happens only in forums like this, and it's the demonstration they're wrong

Android cited as a secure example? Lol ....
Have you forgotten the transition from Windows Phone 7 to 8? Only one device was supported during the transition and many were less than a year old. I owned two phones abandoned during that upgrade.
Windows phone 7 was their first attempt. They've changed everything since then

ulyssesric

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2006
The pop-up message reads: "Do you want to download 'FastPlayer - Insidious version' ? Launch the player and click the 'Private' buttons on the right to watch special videos. You know what."

Yes it actually says "you know what". :cool:

So next time when someone tells you that he is infected by YiSpecter, you know what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.