Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
They can't force you into IUP but what they can do, is say this unit is allocated to IUP members and we are putting it back in stock and point you to the line to wait to get the regular inventory.

I'm guessing (and hoping) Apple is just saving face with IUP members but telling stores just to sell it.

The article that spawned this thread notwithstanding, Apple could do that, but it does not appear that they have/are. I and many others reserved, and paid with the alternate method of our choosing, and Apple still did the sale transaction.

stlwx21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I reserved Verizon unlocked iPhone 7 Plus online this morning around 730am. I was able to walk into Apple Store in San Antonio at 10am and purchase phone at full price. I was never asked about IUP and didn't even activate phone in store.

Reactions: Zaned303

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
Under the IUP, I reserved a black Verizon iPhone 7 Plus the other day, but I have AT&T. For some reason, they could not activate the iPhone on AT&T because the Serial number was registered under Verizon. The iPhone they used to scan the barcodes kept asking me to sign in with Verizon. So, unfortunately, I walked out empty handed even though it would have worked if I put my sim card in it. I was so bummed. The Verizon versions are capable with both CDMA and GSM carriers.. so I don't understand. :(

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
The SIM inside the phone would've activated the phone, regardless of an active plan on the SIM itself. Are none of apple's employees trained on how iPhones activate?

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
I too was denied from reserving from the IUP site, sooo... what I did was when I found stock was available on the istocknow.com site for the iPhone 7 Plus I wanted I went to main Apple.com site, bought the phone on the site but checked for 'Store Pickup' rather than shipping. The site confirmed the store had it available so I used AT&T NEXT to do the purchase, set the reservation time and got the phone within one day.

There 'are' ways of doing this even if you cannot use the much preferred classic reservation site or do not trust it for walk-in.

I agree I snapped up a Silver 128gb 7+ using the IUP reservation but then paid cash. I decided I wanted the 256gb because I'm a data hermit crab so I returned it today. Last night hoped on the Apple Store and chose in store pickup. Selected pay full amount and confirmed my phone was ready for 10am extraction. Apple let me exchange the 128gb and pay only the difference of 90 bucks or so for the 256gb. In and out both times under 20 minutes. I stalked all the sites possible I learned in the postings here. after getting shafted by ATT on my 18 minute after launch order
[doublepost=1475020270][/doublepost]
Yes, I would like to walk into an Apple Store, and be able to buy a Verizon phone iPhone 7 without providing contract details, since I plan to use it on page plus or Ecomobile cdma.
[doublepost=1474790648][/doublepost]
I am in the same boat, I would like to try different Mvnos (Ecomobile, page plus, boost, cricket) for the next year or so to figure out which one works best for me. Coming from a ip4 on att Gophone, would prefer to at least be able to preorder the iPhone 7 online or physical Apple Store without signing up for one of the 4 major carriers. I would be willing to pay for it full price. It appears that my two choices at the moment are waiting or signing up for Verizon with the intention to cancel. If anybody has any successful experience in getting an iPhone 7 Verizon model without having to provide major carrier detail, please share. Thank you
[doublepost=1474790825][/doublepost]
Did you need to submit one of the big 4 carrier details? Thanks

I got both Verizon 7+'s with cash on both reservation systems no carrier info. Mid last week and today. I used an ATT sim in one for a week thus far and signed up byod on Verizon month to month. It's possible

neurodave

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
I used the IUP reservation page to get mine without a problem. At first I considered doing the IUP, but my cousin didn't pay his part of the bill so I couldn't upgrade. I was leaning more towards full-price anyway. They didn't bother me at all. I paid and was out the door in no time. I went to the Greenwich, CT store, about 45 mins from me.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
No, I'm still confused. Thanks for trying.

Okay, I'll try to explain it this way:

- you want a new iPhone
- go to Apple Store and select phone you want
- decide instead of paying $1000 today, you choose to pay $1000 over 24 months. No interest loan. $41.67/mo payment.
- phone is unlocked and does not require a contract with a carrier. At any time you can switch cell service providers.

1st Scenario:
- 24 months later no more payments. You own the phone. Enjoy.

2nd scenario:
- 12 months after getting the phone you have paid $500
- decide you want the new iPhone
- go to Apple Store and give them back your iPhone.
- you no longer owe the rest of your loan of $500, the loan ends.
- with new iPhone, you start a new 24 month no interest loan, same terms.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Okay, I'll try to explain it this way:

- you want a new iPhone
- go to Apple Store and select phone you want
- decide instead of paying $1000 today, you choose to pay $1000 over 24 months. No interest loan. $41.67/mo payment.
- phone is unlocked and does not require a contract with a carrier. At any time you can switch cell service providers.

1st Scenario:
- 24 months later no more payments. You own the phone. Enjoy.

2nd scenario:
- 12 months after getting the phone you have paid $500
- decide you want the new iPhone
- go to Apple Store and give them back your iPhone.
- you no longer owe the rest of your loan of $500, the loan ends.
- with new iPhone, you start a new 24 month no interest loan, same terms.
Ahhh...OK. So you're almost just renting the first one. Got it. So does this only apply once? Or can you do the same thing with the second one and continue doing it every time?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Ahhh...OK. So you're almost just renting the first one. Got it. So does this only apply once? Or can you do the same thing with the second one and continue doing it every time?

It's not really renting because the device still has value to you and you can pay off the loan early and be done with it. But without interest charges, it doesn't make sense to buy it outright or pay if off early. Look up the prices for a Gold 6S Plus 128 GB phone and see what you can get for it. Apple essentially paid me $539.08 for my 6S Plus where web sites were offering between $300 and $360 for it. Maybe I could have tried to sell it privately and gotten more, paid off the loan, and applied the difference to the new phone? That's something to consider depending on where you are in the model life cycle.

You can do the same thing every time. I had it with the 6S and I have it with my 7. As long as your credit will allow you to have a $1000 loan, you should be good to go.

The earliest you can return your phone and get a new one is 6 months. But you have to have made 12 payments. Is it worth it? It again depends on the street value of the phone.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
It's not really renting because the device still has value to you and you can pay off the loan early and be done with it. But without interest charges, it doesn't make sense to buy it outright or pay if off early. Look up the prices for a Gold 6S Plus 128 GB phone and see what you can get for it. Apple essentially paid me $539.08 for my 6S Plus where web sites were offering between $300 and $360 for it. Maybe I could have tried to sell it privately and gotten more, paid off the loan, and applied the difference to the new phone? That's something to consider depending on where you are in the model life cycle.

You can do the same thing every time. I had it with the 6S and I have it with my 7. As long as your credit will allow you to have a $1000 loan, you should be good to go.

The earliest you can return your phone and get a new one is 6 months. But you have to have made 12 payments. Is it worth it? It again depends on the street value of the phone.

I don't liking owing money to other people or entities. It's how I was raised. Even on a 0% loan, you still owe on the principle to someone and create that obligation. When I own a phone free and clear, I can do whatever I want with it whenever I want. I am not obligated to pay 12 months and then give the phone back or any scenario like it.

In my case, I usually upgrade every year if and only if I can sell my old phone for the price that I deem reasonable. In my case, it has always worked out. I essentially pay between $200-300 per year to upgrade to the latest and greatest because of selling my old phone and purchasing a new one outright. This is the system that works best for me without owing anyone, anything.

We all have to find the system that ethically works best for us. Subjectively, in my case and opinion only, this is what works best for me and gives me the most value for my dollar. You mileage may vary and be different, but this is what works best for me.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I don't liking owing money to other people or entities. It's how I was raised. Even on a 0% loan, you still owe on the principle to someone and create that obligation. When I own a phone free and clear, I can do whatever I want with it whenever I want. I am not obligated to pay 12 months and then give the phone back or any scenario like it.

In my case, I usually upgrade every year if and only if I can sell my old phone for the price that I deem reasonable. In my case, it has always worked out. I essentially pay between $200-300 per year to upgrade to the latest and greatest because of selling my old phone and purchasing a new one outright. This is the system that works best for me without owing anyone, anything.

We all have to find the system that ethically works best for us. Subjectively, in my case and opinion only, this is what works best for me and gives me the most value for my dollar. You mileage may vary and be different, but this is what works best for me.

Definitely understand 100%! Most of the time I do the same thing. When you owe money, it can wear on you because it is an obligation. In my case, I'm at a point financially where when it makes sense to use other people's money, I seriously consider it. But only when I know I can erase that obligation without any serious financial consequences.

humanliberty

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
just walked into my local apple store with IUP reservation; got my verizon phone no problem. I'm on ATT. Was asked "you want to use IUP," I answered no. "Are you upgrading on Verizon?" no, paying outright.

Apple should make this much more transparent next time.

pirategrad

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Austin, Texas
just walked into my local apple store with IUP reservation; got my verizon phone no problem. I'm on ATT. Was asked "you want to use IUP," I answered no. "Are you upgrading on Verizon?" no, paying outright.

Apple should make this much more transparent next time.
I did the same thing today. Bought the MB IP 7+ 256 GB Verizon to use on AT&T. I walked in to the Domain Store in Austin and told them I had reserved a phone. They pulled my up and brought out my phone. Paid and swapped out the sim card from my old phone. The phone activated on AT&T with no problem. They never asked me about IUP. Pretty Sweet!

Reactions: humanliberty

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I exchanged my iPhone 7 (AT&T) purchased (full price no-contract) on launch day and bought a Verizon iPhone 7 plus (full price no-contract) about a week later without activating on Verizon or enrolling in the iPhone upgrade program. I'm using it on AT&T and have had no issues so far. The Apple store I purchased it from didn't even question whether or not I had an account on any network and they didn't ask if I wanted to enroll in IPU. They basically swapped out my iPhone and SIM, charged me for the difference, and I was on my way.

Reactions: Zaned303

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm reviving this thread.

I want to know has anyone recently been able to use their own carrier installment plan instead of the iPhone Upgrade Program.

Looking to get a specific model, but it's only available through reserve website.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I'm reviving this thread.

I want to know has anyone recently been able to use their own carrier installment plan instead of the iPhone Upgrade Program.

Looking to get a specific model, but it's only available through reserve website.
You know...I decided to buy the sim free version. The carrier monthly plan gave me headache.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
You know...I decided to buy the sim free version. The carrier monthly plan gave me headache.

There's mounting evidence that the SIM Free version is the one to have, anyway.

Although Verizon has started throttling data speeds to resemble what you'd get with the GSM versions that are normally supplied to AT&T and T Mobile customers, you will still have the problem of voice calls not working as well on the GSM versions in areas of poor signal quality.

It seems to me, and this is anecdotal, your best plan is to have a SIM Free version on AT&T, because they are not throttling anything, and the superiority of the Qualcomm modem will be more evident on AT&T than it would be on Verizon.

0_o

For myself, I am living with an Intel modem GSM iPhone 7 Plus on AT&T. The 7 Plus is just so superior a device in so many ways, I just can't see myself going through the trouble to sell this and get a SIM Free.

The 7 Plus is strong enough that I have stopped carrying my MacBook as a daily routine!

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
There's mounting evidence that the SIM Free version is the one to have, anyway.

Although Verizon has started throttling data speeds to resemble what you'd get with the GSM versions that are normally supplied to AT&T and T Mobile customers, you will still have the problem of voice calls not working as well on the GSM versions in areas of poor signal quality.

It seems to me, and this is anecdotal, your best plan is to have a SIM Free version on AT&T, because they are not throttling anything, and the superiority of the Qualcomm modem will be more evident on AT&T than it would be on Verizon.

0_o

For myself, I am living with an Intel modem GSM iPhone 7 Plus on AT&T. The 7 Plus is just so superior a device in so many ways, I just can't see myself going through the trouble to sell this and get a SIM Free.

The 7 Plus is strong enough that I have stopped carrying my MacBook as a daily routine!
That I just did. Got unlocked att. This unlock version sure has high resell value.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Although Verizon has started throttling data speeds to resemble what you'd get with the GSM versions that are normally supplied to AT&T and T Mobile customers,...

Verizon isn't throttling the iPhone.

Are you talking about the speculation that Apple itself purposely gimped the Verizon Qualcomm modem iPhone, so it wouldn't make the AT&T Intel modem version look bad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.