Apple Restricts iPhone 7 Reservations to Upgrade Program Members

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 23, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple recently updated the confirmation email it sends to customers who reserve an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus to clarify that in-store reservations are now limited to iPhone Upgrade Program members in the United States.

Apple allows upgraders to reserve an iPhone through its iPhone Upgrade Program reservation system for pick up in store, but many customers were able to bypass the program and pay in full or with carrier financing instead upon arriving at their local Apple retail store.

Old wording:
    New wording:
    MacRumors reader DSTOFEL was one of many customers previously able to reserve an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus online and pay for it outright at an Apple Store without enrolling in the iPhone Upgrade Program:
    But since the change in wording, it appears that Apple has already turned away some non-upgraders attempting to purchase an iPhone through the Upgrade Program reservation system without signing up for the program.

MacRumors reader vsp attempted to purchase an iPhone 7 for full price last night, for example, but an Apple retail employee allegedly would not let him:
    While many other MacRumors and Reddit users have faced the same situation since yesterday or so, some customers have still managed to reserve an iPhone and pay in full or with carrier financing. For that reason, your mileage may vary, and non-upgraders are recommended to call their local Apple retail store and request to speak with a manager before placing a reservation.

For its part, Apple's reservation page has always noted that a 24-month installment loan through Citizens Bank, which finances the iPhone Upgrade Program, is required -- this change just cements it. In other countries where the iPhone Upgrade Program does not exist, such as Canada, all customers are able to use Reserve and Pick Up regardless of their payment method of choice.

Article Link: Apple Restricts iPhone 7 Reservations to Upgrade Program Members

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

This will still depend on the rep involved. I know plenty of people who got this email with the changed terminology who had absolutely zero trouble buying a device. The Apple reps' POS on their iPhones will still offer it as device only when rung up.

Apple still royally messed up this launch, but that's another story altogether.

3. Gooberton macrumors 65816

This is rediculous!! Can't give them preferential treatment . Apple screwed this whole launch up soooooo bad !

4. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

5. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

If I did not care about the 650 dollar trade in with VZ, I would do the upgrade program with Apple.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Okay, but lets get this straight. People that reserved the phone for IUP but planned on changing it to full price were still getting hit with the credit check before they got their phone. The credit check is done at the time you reserve the phone online. I can verify this as 4 people in my family joined the IUP this year, all online reserved for in-store pickup. The credit check was the date they reserved the phone, not picked it up. You had to supply your social security number during the checkout process. Your full social, not just the last 4 for carrier purposes.

7. typegeek macrumors newbie

typegeek

As a person from the midwest where nearly no phones for 7+ came in store, it is really frustrating to have this option taken away. Been refreshing day and night trying to reserve in store pickup. My 5s is tanking and I am starting to worry I'll be without a phone soon...Guess I'll go haunt the store app and try to get lucky for stock for in full purchases.

8. s2000gtx macrumors member

They found the loop hole we been using smh

9. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

10. Babu Life macrumors member

Babu Life

Did this today, and the guy still let me do it, i was skeptical with the email and asked apple chat about it, they said no, but i thought why not and give it a try.

11. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

guys dont buy into the hype. wait another year.

We iphone 8 users are going to laugh at you rocking the old iphones with the big bezels as the new iphone wont have a home button.

so essentially you're paying $400+ to rent the iphone from apple if you upgrade next year.

12. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Apple says: "join our program."

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The $650.00 is a complete trap. You have to pay FULL retail for the iPhone of your choice first, then once you receive your new device, you send in your old iPhone, which takes THREE months to apply only as a bill credit. Allegedly, you can request the $650.00 to be applied your credit card.

The point is, Verizon wants you to pay full retail first, which is a joke. And your previous iPhone has to be in 'Good working condition.'

14. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

Thanks for the advice, but I'll spend my $400 as I see fit, not how some random dude on the internet thinks I should spend it.

Plenty to justify the 7+. Keep laughing all you want, I'll have the next iPhone as well.

15. Goldfrapp, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

16. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

Im pretty sure most of us who have the 7 are upgrading regardless to next years model. So you won't be laughing at anyone.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I think you're missing the idea of the program. Its so you can upgrade EVERY year.

18. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Ahhh the perpetual pendulum swings yet again.

19. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what if i want to join the upgrade program, can i reserve online? (i'm still under my 2 year contract from my 6 plus)

21. colburnr macrumors regular

colburnr

Lol...yes...we will.

22. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

I did this and the IUP reservation system only asked for my Apple ID to confirm the time/location of the reservation and i paid full price for it.

23. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Every country is different. Apple can indeed manage to sell the iPhone differently. In Canada we have got good stocks almost every morning at 8am in every store for everyone. Stocks still are gone quickly of course around 10am.

24. WilliamG macrumors G3

No they weren't. There's no credit check when reserving the iPhone through the regular reservation.

25. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020